The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Re: Any new, must have or don't waste your money tools?

Gearwrenches are absolutely the most amazing things I've every bought.

In each of my pick ups I have a 6 dollar, 40 piece socket set from Autozone... I've never opened it, I'm sure its the cheapest POS ever invented but I'd rather have them than nothing at all.

I have a set of Craftsman SAE Socket set and a Gearwrench SAE set and then a NAPA set of Metric sockets and wrenches. I've never had a problem with any of these. I've used Snap-On at school and at a friends garage and there just doesn't seem to be much of a difference between my craftsman and there billion dollar tool set.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
68 Stepside
huh?

I'm cheap, I mean really CHEAP....but I will not buy a Craftsman ratchet. I don't have an issue with any of their other standard hand tools, but their ratchets just plain suck, at least any they've made in the past 20 years. As far as their gearwrenches go, I use them at work and have no issues with them. It's just the ratchets that I don't care for.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #28
Shane
Account Suspended

I agree TJ. Craftsman ratchets have gotten me hurt far more times than all the other tools in my box combined.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #29
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

I have some craftsman, but if they are so good how come they wont warranty a tool if you go into their store in a shop uniform???

It all depends how you use them and how much you Trash them.

anything thats craftsman and moves wont last everyday in a shop, but will work once or twice a month in a "home box"

I got sick of driving across town to warranty a POS 3/8 craftsman ratchet
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #30
beautimus

i love craftsman stuff, but DO NOT buy any of their pliers. There locking pliers are junk and their self adjusting robo crap pliers are the pits.
i have a few of those and if you'll pay the postage i send them to you for free. after you get tired of tring to use them, you can give them to somebody you don't like. lol !!
oh and a word on their ratchets. they are actually good tools, but the grease inside of their ratchets gives up at the first sign of moisture. if you feel the
ratchet mechanisim starting to get to where it slips on you, dip the head of the thing in a bucket of oil , and the wipe it off, it will work good for a few more months before you have to do it again. i have just sprayed them with wd-40 and they go back to working but it doesn't last but a day or so.
I have bought a few ratchets, craftsman , snap on etc. at flea markets or pawn shops that feel like this and i lube them up and they work great.
ratcheting box end wrenches do the same thing.
My basement looks like a craftsman advertisement.
i will not buy their air compressors because they are over priced. They don't
sell a welder with the craftsman name on it. Their Work benches are to spendy and flimsy. their cordless drills are good, their cordless reciprocating saws will suck the life out of a battery in 2 minutes, while the dewalt brand will run for 4 or 5 hours of constant use. The screw drivers are good, but so
are most popular brands.
There larger drill presses are good, there bench top ones are easily stripped out. There woodworking tools are great. But they do not have a good waranty on power tools. Thats all i can think of. But all in all i like craftsman stuff.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #31
fiddy9apache

i use snap-on. everytime i open up my tool box its like a toy box to me. i do mechanic work for a living and have thousands and thousands in tools, im a field mechanic so broke tools are bad, i just can go ask the mechanic next to me for his. i use other brand tools also but no craftsman, never have liked them.

my favorite tools are my video bore scope, my 3/8 and 1/2in battery power impacts, ratchet wreches and my impact swivel sockets and my makita set(two flash lights,impact, and drill) i use these tools everyday, they kinda become a part of you lol

Last edited by fiddy9apache; 01-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

I'm not working on Ferrari's - so I don't get too twisted off on tools.

Most of my stuff is Craftsman. And it's good enough. My roll-aways and tool boxes are Kennedy, because I work in a machine shop and someone's always looking for rent money. Are they stainless? No. Do my vehicles care? No.

Harbor Frieght's stuff is for anything I can beat on without worrying if it's going to end up in pieces. The other side of the coin is the Craftsman battery driven hammer. Give me a break.

Mac.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #33
treegump

don't buy a harbor freight grinder - not enough power in the motor to grind an edge into a socket!

DD: '96 Chevy K2500, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog and back-up lamps, Mechanical wastegate & vacuum delete, Glowplug & high idle overrides, A/C delete

Project: 78? CJ5 with 304 V8, 3sp tranny, Dana20 transfer case, good body, stock springs-SOA, on 33" tires and 11" brakes, no rust (for sale)
treegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I have a 12 volt emergency impact I keep in the truck. Works great, use to use it a bunch before I got my compressor.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #35
Tater
Cradle Robber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
I'm not working on Ferrari's - so I don't get too twisted off on tools.

Most of my stuff is Craftsman. And it's good enough. My roll-aways and tool boxes are Kennedy, because I work in a machine shop and someone's always looking for rent money. Are they stainless? No. Do my vehicles care? No.

Harbor Frieght's stuff is for anything I can beat on without worrying if it's going to end up in pieces. The other side of the coin is the Craftsman battery driven hammer. Give me a break.

Mac.
I use a Kennedy roll arounds too from my machine shop days.The krinkle brown finish will last forever,and with all the shops around here that are closing down,and laying people off you can find Kennedy boxes on craigslist for pretty cheap.

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #36
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
... The other side of the coin is the Craftsman battery driven hammer. Give me a break. Mac.
Hey, MacAttack, are you saying don't buy them? I'm building a deck and saw it at their store. If it wasn't for my wife (she keeps me in line on going crazy) I would have snapped one up. As I mentioned, I'm a tool gadget person and if it's useful I'll buy it.

Re: the crazy shaped hammers. I just can't get used to the feel of some of those. I stick with the wood or fiberglass handles and original design. These hammers stayed the same for over 100 yrs or so. However, I'm old and it seems like if you're not used to a specific tool design you tend to be more flexible.

I do agree on Craftsman ratchets. They don't seem to be the best out there.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #37
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Any new, must have or don't waste your money tools?

Well as far as a hand held tool a good quality torque wrench hands down. Now for a tool I just bought and for less than $100.00. I got it today.
I bought a OBD 2 scan tool by Actron.
I have 5 vehicles and 4 of them are OBD 2 cars so it was worth the money.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #38
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

those code readers work pretty well
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #39
dieseldr4

harbor freight is awesome, just be ready to go to the hospital when it breaks

newer craftsman tools, make sure the first aid kit is handy, not AS bad as harbor freight tools..

when you really need to get it done, snap-on, mac, or matco.. they cost more but usually dont hurt you ..lol

i have some older craftsman stuff, it holds up well, their newer ratchets really suck though and ive never cared for their screw drivers either...

Last edited by dieseldr4; 01-07-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: edit...
dieseldr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #40
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Hey, MacAttack, are you saying don't buy them? I'm building a deck and saw it at their store. If it wasn't for my wife (she keeps me in line on going crazy) I would have snapped one up. As I mentioned, I'm a tool gadget person and if it's useful I'll buy it.
Sorry, I'm old school: If you can't swing a conventional hammer to build your deck you are

Wladziu Valentino Liberace Gay.

Mac.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #41
Jack_71C10
Shortbed club member

Most of my tools are craftsman and the ratchets are prone to slipping.
I have to take them apart and clean them, dirt gets inside and gums
up on the ratcheting wheel. I know I could return them but this is faster.
I also have a husky tool case I keep under my seat, for roadside repairs
and salvage yards. I haven't broken any of these yet and they feel
fairly sturdy. I won it as a door prize didn't really need it but it has come
in handy.
Jack_71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #42
brad_man_72
the boat guy

snap on tools are so durable.... ive broken 5 32oz deadblow hammers in 2 years. the heads break where they screw into the handle. one lasted 2 weeks, im a little guy.

gotta have a butane torch.

nice long 1/2 9/16 boxed end wrench and a flathead screwdriver will fix anything on a pre 88 trucks.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #43
leddzepp

This new ball joint buster/tie rod separator is my favorite. I have used it on my project, and it saves from beating on everything. As far as I am concerned, it is a must have. Click on my build thread to see it in action. $10 on sale at harbor fright.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-07-2010 at 07:01 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
$10 on sale at harbor fright.
Not only WOW - but DOUBLE WOW!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #45
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

for electrical work I say you simply MUST have the Power Probe III.

I bought a code reader from Launch for ~$65. it gives ALL OBDII codes for everything ever made. the generic codes come up with a description and the manufacturer specific codes are on CD.

I also have their data recorder for the intermitent problems.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #46
fiddy9apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
for electrical work I say you simply MUST have the Power Probe III.

I bought a code reader from Launch for ~$65. it gives ALL OBDII codes for everything ever made. the generic codes come up with a description and the manufacturer specific codes are on CD.

I also have their data recorder for the intermitent problems.
the PP3 is a very awesome tool
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #47
treegump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldr4 View Post
i have some older craftsman stuff, it holds up well, their newer ratchets really suck though and ive never cared for their screw drivers either...
I have a couple of kobalt ratchets - can find them at lowes...i think... and they've held up with no problems so far.

DD: '96 Chevy K2500, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog and back-up lamps, Mechanical wastegate & vacuum delete, Glowplug & high idle overrides, A/C delete

Project: 78? CJ5 with 304 V8, 3sp tranny, Dana20 transfer case, good body, stock springs-SOA, on 33" tires and 11" brakes, no rust (for sale)
treegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #48
Sweet 85 C10
OG

Cool Topic! Man reading all these posts makes me go back and check my tool inventory to see what I do and dont have as far as brands. I will say this for a hobbyist Craftsman tools are good, I do like the Professional Series the quality is way better.

As for the person who does auto repair for a living SNAP ON, MAC TOOLS & even Matco Tools is the way to go. 85% of my tools are Snap On and I must never had any problems with them, and I mean no problems putting them through some tuff stuff. Matco makes good tools but some of there stuff depending on what it is I stay away from due to design. MAC always had great tools like Snap On pricey as hell!! I havent purchased a SNAP ON TOOL in a long time but I would reccomend EBAY to those SNAP ON lovers you will find great prices. Snap on tool truck are rape wagons because the tool guy will smile in your face after every transaction but never really ever looks out for your needs just takes $$$$$ and never says hey heres a nice new wrench FREE to add to your collection or here try this product out FREE and let me know what you think. Fourtunately I have had only one SNAP ON dealer who was that nice but that was years ago.

Gear Wrench man what can I say the best tool ever for those who fix Imports and are in really tight spaces. GREAT QUALITY TOOL!!!
Sweet 85 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #49
andyh1956

i have my grand daddy's snap on tools he bought used when he was a young man. also mac, proto & craftsman. they all have their place. what i would tell young mechanics coming along is to buy 6 pt sockets. i know there are twelve pt fasteners but i buy a 12 pt socket for these. look for 6 pt sockets with rounded corners, makes a big difference to me. also the snap on tools must be broken to be exchanged, they wont replace a worn out tool. i like snap on ratchets also, they seem the best. the one thing my old grand daddy would have loved is the gearwrench- and the flex head gearwrench. how did we do without these for so long?
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #50
astrochimp

I make my living with tools, and have since 1983.

You need a GOOD VOM (voltage ohm meter).

I prefer Fluke, and have used them for 25 years. Plan to spend just over $100, it will save you that in time and you will have it for years.

Cheap (harbor freight type) wrenches are great to modify. Bend, grind, cut, just make that special one you need. The shinny ones are best for this.

Gear wrench sockets are nice for many jobs- open inside so bolt will pass threw head or ratchet. Also got my rebate from them when I bought.

Snap on flare wrenches are a POS. Very hard to use.

I have had great luck with Craftsman, but haven't bought any in the last few years, I do use them everyday at work and home.

I also love o Proto stuff., and there are many older industrial brands around.
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote