The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
kevinr1970

Re: What did you get done-01/28

The knob for my fan control has been broken since I bought me '86 GMC. I have an '87 non-AC cab I am not going to be using so I pulled the control head off to put in my '86.
PO put in an detachable-face stereo that is basicly mounted to the bezel. I've never had speakers hooked up so all I know is it lights up, but don't know if it works? Not real concerned with that right now.
I've also had an issue with my dash light fuse blowing when I pull on my headlight switch.

Since I have to remove the radio to get the bezel off anyways I decide to just pull it all-together. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch wires in a car (or a house too I suspect). What a rats nest of wires. Going to the strangest of places.
Judging by the fat cables running to under the seat I assume the PO had an amp of some type before. This solved the mystery of the toggle that did nothing on the bottom of my dash though.

After cleaning that mess up and getting everything back together (yay, no more jabbing my finger when trying to adjust my fan), I decide to put a good fuse in the dash light spot just to see if maybe I fixed that by getting rid of the rats nest.
What do you know, they work! Two birds with one stone...
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I got nothing truck related done, but I did get the shower back up and ready at the house. Just got the sink and drain left along with the flooring.. Sheesh...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #28
84slopwaggin

Saturday and Sunday I removed the air pump(smog crap) from the 85. I also removed the egr valve and blocked it off. Removed the factory thermostat housing and installed a new thermostat and chrome thermostat housing (hope it seals). Still need to replace the vacuum advance(Superbowl weekend). Hoping to pep up the motor some. Headers come later.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #29
grape

getting closer to the diesel k5 actually running.........and had to work on my fathers falcon to see how much we are going to have to cut, lol.

grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #30
alee75681

Painted the inside of the cab and the dash of the truck. Should be able to order carpet, headliner, and dash pad ($$) soon and dye panels and trim to match. Not sure what I'm going to do about the blue seatbelts...
alee75681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #31
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
getting closer to the diesel k5 actually running.........and had to work on my fathers falcon to see how much we are going to have to cut, lol.

sweet, i also we(i listed the car, he owned) sold the 95 v-6 stang today, so i got that done
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #32
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
That is sweet looking 6.5 grape. Last winter a buddy and I screwed together a 6.5L into a 1988 Suburban for another buddy that lives out in MI. Actually, our friend works for AMG and sent us a new 6.5L for his new rust free western burb score that has since made the 1800 mile trip back to Detroit.

The engine he sent was a bit warmed up with marine gofast parts, a four plunger mechanical injection pump and who knows what else. We tried to go the center mount turbo route but there is not enough clearance for that. Had to toy around with where to place the vacuum pump too. Even the banks side mount turbo that was originally on the 6.2L was one tight mofo with the late model serpentine belt. It ran like a freight train and smoked like one too. It ran like an early Dirtymax, which is pretty good for a 6.5L. Be sure to leave yourself some room for the A/C box where the exhaust pipe runs by it and glue the heck out of the valve covers. I didn't realize the diesel valve covers were glued on until I started this project. Removing the valve covers is a PITA! Especially on the passengers side. Yeah, they leaked within the first 10 minutes of running.
Attached Images

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #33
grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
That is sweet looking 6.5 grape. Last winter a buddy and I screwed together a 6.5L into a 1988 Suburban for another buddy that lives out in MI. Actually, our friend works for AMG and sent us a new 6.5L for his new rust free western burb score that has since made the 1800 mile trip back to Detroit.

The engine he sent was a bit warmed up with marine gofast parts, a four plunger mechanical injection pump and who knows what else. We tried to go the center mount turbo route but there is not enough clearance for that. Had to toy around with where to place the vacuum pump too. Even the banks side mount turbo that was originally on the 6.2L was one tight mofo with the late model serpentine belt. It ran like a freight train and smoked like one too. It ran like an early Dirtymax, which is pretty good for a 6.5L. Be sure to leave yourself some room for the A/C box where the exhaust pipe runs by it and glue the heck out of the valve covers. I didn't realize the diesel valve covers were glued on until I started this project. Removing the valve covers is a PITA! Especially on the passengers side. Yeah, they leaked within the first 10 minutes of running.

I would be very interested in a way to contact your buddy who works for AMG, pm me some info if you could.
grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #34
ghetto_superman

I cut out both kick panels, front pillars, rockers, pass side floor along kick panel, rear pass pillar, pass cab corner..

finished everything on the passenger side except for the rocker, front pillar, and cab corner.

pretty exciting!