The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #26
YellowMenace

Just a data point for you guys....DHL is trying to establish itself as the other alternative to UPS and Fedex.
YellowMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #27
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I say go with the idea from 70short/step. have it shipped to him & meet him 1/2 way. what are friends for
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #28
Jimmy72custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70short/step
Jimmy72custom, I see that I am not all that far from you about an hour or so. If you really need it and cant get it shipped any other way, You could ship it to my place and I could deliver it half way to you maybe. Always willing to help if I can.
P.S. I know FedEx will get it to me, My Brother delivers for them
70short/step
Thanks I appreciate it, but I am a little over 200 miles north of Stockton.

Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #29
Castiron9
72 LONGHORN OWNER

I have a parts package coming from a fellow board member..........should I start to worry..........I did not know that you had to be home to get it delivered..That suck's.................

70-C/30 DUALLY
Castiron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 PM   #30
useRc10

is your house well marked or is that just an excuse for not delivering...as an ambulance driver i know it can be frustrating not having houses well marked...if an ambulance or fire truck ever need to come to your house, it helps a lot if teh number is easily seen from the road
-dads '70 burb (red, 5-7 drop, 350...)

www.geocities.com/userc10/truckhome.html
AIM: Auntjoedadda
useRc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #31
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

It is my understanding that all FedEx drivers are contract drivers that own their delivery trucks. This is why you see some delivering in unmarked trucks. They do have their routs though so the same driver should deliver your parts as did previously, unless he is sick, or on vacation. I have had pretty good luck with them for the same reasons that Paul uses them for. UPS was forever damaging my freight and still do when I order from some of our warehouses for parts that ship out of my shop. I called DHL also, and they were not even close to being as competative as UPS, FedEx as far as that is concerned. They even acted like it would be a bother for them to pick us up for an account. I also use USPS for deliveries going to Alaska, Hawii, Canida, and all other countries that I ship to. This saves our customers an average of $35.00 per package in customs brokerage fees. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:01 AM   #32
687980chevy

The FED-EX guys around here are independent owner operators.They own the truck.One guy I knew delivered some stuff for my inlaws to my house because I live closer to town>he didn't want to drive all the way out to thier house(9miles!) I let him once because he's OK but,when he tried it again I wouldn't accept it. If you worked for UPS and tried that they would fire you.
687980chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:31 AM   #33
Tim Christian

Hey Guys, If you need anything just holler! We even ship horse and buggy here in Tennessee! LOL
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 AM   #34
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I've had problems with various companies including Fedex here in the Uk finding my house as it is on its own with just businesses and a church nearby, however, as I tell them it has been in the same place for 101 years!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #35
zooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian
Hey Guys, If you need anything just holler! We even ship horse and buggy here in Tennessee! LOL

Now thats a salesman!
zooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #36
Budweis
Geared for Collision

luckily here the ups guy knows me so always get ups quick but as for fedex, they always call saying cant find that they are coming from 100 miles away to deliver package as no fedex around here and always takes forever. last time they called and told me to meet them at gas station. i shouldnt have to meet fedex as thats why i pay to have delivered, i agree fedex stinks to the core for people in remote areas. most fedex packages i have had never make it, i think they just throw it away cus dont want to make 100 mile trip just for my one package.
1977 Corvette Coupe
Budweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #37
gr8scott51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castiron9
I have a parts package coming from a fellow board member..........should I start to worry..........I did not know that you had to be home to get it delivered..That suck's.................
At least you're closer to their Auburn warehouse.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:20 PM   #38
darksaga

I actually have had nothing but good luck with fedex on the other hand UPS has misrouted a great number of my packages (from watching the online tracking). Once I had a package coming from summit racing, shipped from sparks, it was misrouted to florida then back to the san francisco then to san deigo then back up and delivered. FedEx is always on time or early

So to me a vender that only ships fedex is a win to me
Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #39
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Tim, got my T-shirt and freight refund check!!! Thanks. Get this guys. Tim's wife shipped my upper moulding via FedEx. Tim saw the freight charges and felt so bad he refunded the differance between FedEx and UPS! When some of my stuff went back-order he called me twice personally to let me know what was up. Now that is service!!!

Rich
Old 09-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #40
Jimmy72custom

Quote:
Tim I just made an order with Josh over the phone. Thanks Rich
Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #41
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8scott51
I hate FedEx. I live alone. They won't leave things with my neighbors, even if I leave a note telling them to do so. They only try to deliver once, then they take the item back to Auburn (an hour away) and say come get it.
I have had several items delivered by FedEx and am very satisfied with their service. Anytime I am not home they leave a note for a signature authorizing them to leave the item here or with a neighbor(insurance purposes) they will try to deliver 2 times before asking me to pick up at the terminal. UPS on the other hand has left several high dollar items laying in plain sight on my front porch for all to see.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #42
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

Gene,

Ditto. That's exactly what I've experienced. I wonder if their policies vary from state to state?

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #43
Jimmy72custom

It seem to me if you live on a well marked paved road FEDEX is good. If you live on a dirt road FEDEX is bad.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #44
71Chev

Rich,

With your ok, I would like to call our fedex rep, and see if I can get you and your neighbors a little help with your fedex deliveries out there, all I will give them is your zip. You don't have to buy a thing from us. But you shouldn't have to worry about which carrier delivers your package, wether it's fedex, ups, dhl or usps. If you think it would make the situation worse I won't contact our rep. I don't know if it will even help to call, but would be happy to.

Les
@GMCPauls
Old 09-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #45
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by useRc10
is your house well marked or is that just an excuse for not delivering...as an ambulance driver i know it can be frustrating not having houses well marked...if an ambulance or fire truck ever need to come to your house, it helps a lot if teh number is easily seen from the road

As a former pizza guy, I can agree with useRc10 on that...although a pizza isn't as important as fire/ambulance...ppl normally complain more about 2 min too long on the food.

Something to point out here, the new guys, DHL...they are the same as FedEx...same ppl, same vans, same everything. I don't know if anyone has had bad things from FedEx....but I know after seeing there local operations, I would be scared to use them. They have a bigger damaged goods pile than the one in the local UPS.

Personally, i prefer USPS myself.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #46
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
As a former pizza guy, I can agree with useRc10 on that...although a pizza isn't as important as fire/ambulance...ppl normally complain more about 2 min too long on the food.

Something to point out here, the new guys, DHL...they are the same as FedEx...same ppl, same vans, same everything. I don't know if anyone has had bad things from FedEx....but I know after seeing there local operations, I would be scared to use them. They have a bigger damaged goods pile than the one in the local UPS.

Personally, i prefer USPS myself.
ACCORDING TO THE LOCAL DHL, THEY ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH
UPS, FEDEX, OR USPS, THEY BOUGHT OUT AIRBORNE EXPRESS CO.
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #47
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

DOH!
AIRBORNE EXPRESS CO is what I ment. We work on there junk vans at the shop. They sub contract the jobs out to other companies....Allen Freight inc is the actual company that comes to us, the DHL is just a franchise they pay to use. (loosely)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:19 AM   #48
LudwigTheMad

I worked for a jewelry store for a time......We had one of our wholesalers send a coulple of dimonds accross....he sent them Fed Ex (yes with insurance)....funny thing all we got was an empty box.........AND WE HAD A STORE POLICY OF OPENING THE PACKAGES WITH THE DELIVERY GUY PRESENT, AND TWO STORE EMPLOYEE'S or we sent it back.....You would think that the delivery should have been more surprised then he was...9 months later the wholesaler filled a lawsuit trying to get his money back....you see he paid for a declared value of $24,000....and they didn't want to pay.......

On the flip side one of my old friends had a roomate that was a UPS driver....he had lots of stuff he didn't buy...and loved people who actually wrote what was in the package......................

USPS isn't that great, but at least the mail cariers can get into BIG trouble for theft and/or not following federal guidlines.....ups and fed ex don't...

have a nice long list of problems with both ups and fed ex.........not one issue with the post office....except time

wow..you'd almost think I've gone sane..............

1972 Blue and White Suburban.

Last edited by LudwigTheMad; 09-17-2004 at 12:34 AM.
LudwigTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:31 AM   #49
Alexis
Member since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigTheMad
wow..you'd almost think I've gone sane..............

for real.........I'm going to guess everyone is sleeping
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:58 AM   #50
poff

gr8scott51, if you call FedEx, they can send you a release form. Once you send it in they will leave the packages.

Also, if the FedEx or UPS warehouse is not far away, you can have your package delivered there and pick it up. I have done this with expensive items I did not want left on my porch.