The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: In 40 years, do you think they'll be restoring & giving a damn about today's truc

My personal cut off is 1975. Are there some late models (76 to present) that I like? ... Of course. I just can never see myself chasing after any of em 40 years from now when I'm 93 lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
hotstuff

Re: In 40 years, do you think they'll be restoring & giving a damn about today's truc

Oh I don't know, in 40 years some body going to want to hear a gas engine in a truck , they will all be electric or something
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
SCHRUMGMC

I've always wondered the same thing, I personally think they won't too much Plastic and not to mention the Government feeding off of us like Leeches..*Sigh* I wish things would go back like in the 50's too much Technology and what not..I may be only 19 but have an Old soul...So with that said here in 40 years they wont care about now and day Trucks and cars because of Elmers Glue, Fisher Price interior, and Plastic crap
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
71K20chevy

No...today's cars are throwaway cars if you ask me...no way they'll last 40 years.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
SCHRUMGMC

Funny thing is, I would imagine people said the same thing back when who knows
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

40 years ago they were saying the same thing about new cars then.

In the '80s we called about everything after '72 "cardboard & plastic" with too much emission equipment. Now those N.O.S. cardboard & plastic parts as well as complete vehicles are worth 5x what they were then.

Hot rods were born from jalopies. Jalopies were discarded cars stripped down and run around a horse race track. A used car had no value. These became the first cars to be restored.

Each generation has their favorites and what's new today will be someone's favorite in 40 years. I don't like new vehicles now,so I surely won't be restoring them in 40 years

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #32
noco-k5

Depends on the specific car. There are some great cars like the new Camaros,Mustangs, and Challengers that I bet will be around. I think every era has collectible cars/trucks. I had an 86 Buick GN which was a terrible platform, but an awesome engine and car especially for the 80's. Same for today but I agree for the most part the trucks seem disposable.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #33
bigcow94
Snowfighter

my buddies and i talk about this all the time and i look at it like this. how many people had 67-72 trucks back in the day? everyone had one or knew someone who had one. no one thought anything of them back then and look at them now. so i look at it as the cars/trucks that you see so many of today will probably be the ones everyone wants 40 years from now. (assuming the next few generations actually see a car or truck for more then something to get them from point a to b). but i think the 88-98 chevys, 99-07 super dutys and the new camaros challengers and mustangs will be the hot ticket in the future.
'03 Ford Superduty crew cab 4x4
'84 chevy c30 crew cab dually
bigcow94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #34
Chief Bail

Well 40 years if the LORDS will I'll be 80. So I hope i'll still look good along with my truck..lol.
1978 GMC Jerr-Dan 454 Tonawanda 4spd FOR SALE
85 Chevy Wrecker 454 4spd AATAC
Always a Friend...Michael
Chief Bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #35
SCHRUMGMC

Now and days card are pure Plastic..Hate it
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #36
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
40 years ago they were saying the same thing about new cars then.

In the '80s we called about everything after '72 "cardboard & plastic" with too much emission equipment. Now those N.O.S. cardboard & plastic parts as well as complete vehicles are worth 5x what they were then.
Actually, I can't think of a whole lot of cars after 1972 that are super valuable, except maybe a few exotics and a couple of special editions and even among those they are worth a fraction of their counterparts from before 72, it really is the turning point I think.

Sure there is the odd Pantera, F40, 959, a couple Indy pace cars, but these are beginner collectors cars when compared to Yenkos, Daytona Chargers, Superbirds, Ferrari Daytonas or GTOs, LS6 Chevelles, Shelby or Boss Mustangs or Shelby anything for that matter, and pre 72 Indy pace cars are almost untouchable.

The prices of a lot of these has come down from where they peaked, but do you really see many post 1972s ever being worth 6 figures in todays dollars? Most US manufactures have had muscle cars that have sold in that price bracket in auctions in the last 15 years for pre 72 models. I can't think of a single car US car model older than 20 years and newer than 40 that I think has that potential, and newer than 20 years old? Maybe the Ford GT, LT-5 Vette and the Viper and that's about it and they were very expensive, very limited edition cars new.

Also lets face it hobbies that involve any sort of mechanical creation are on the downfall. Used to be that a lot of us rode minibikes and motorcycles years before we were legal driving age. We had electrified slot cars and model railroads, and toys with hot plates. Now a surprizing number of kids are disinterested in the idea of bicycles, something I can't even fathom. I have friend that have kids that are taking drivers ed and have never had a bike...huh? Without the personal history to tinker with your machine ingrained from an early age where does the later desire come from?

I fear that all we put into these machines, in the end, may be something that interests no one after we're gone, regardless of age. Muscle cars are worth what they're worth because they are the dream machines of the baby boomers and after they're gone whose dreams are they? Are the cars of the "new" era the dream machines of the generation after the boomers? I'm that generation and they are not my dream machines. I can't think of a car from the year that I got my license that I think is all that, not an American car at least, and I got my license in '78. My dream cars were pre '72 then.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Actually, I can't think of a whole lot of cars after 1972 that are super valuable, except maybe a few exotics and a couple of special editions and even among those they are worth a fraction of their counterparts from before 72, it really is the turning point I think.
Actually,I was only thinking of post '72 GM Trucks. And,how did we get from restoring to "super valuable","six figures",or even "worth"? Money has nothing to do with it to a true enthusiast. That's all investor talk. Before the internet and all these people hopping on the old car band wagon we never expected to even get what we had into our old cars & trucks. It's that spirit that drives restoration...of anything...even after all the investors have moved on to other things. Restoration is done out of passion and that will always be there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #38
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Custom10Nut View Post
Look at the 78-86 cars and trucks. I didn't like them when they were new, but now you see very few.. why? Because they were garbage. Remember when the loan would out last the vehicle?
Bottom line is that very few vehicles have that special trait that makes them a classic. It just so happens that ours are the most beautiful pieces of machinery ever made.
My 85 is just as strong as your 70. What a stupid remark
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #39
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Cars and trucks thesedays are made to save your butt if you get in a wreck they crumple around you. Get in a high speed wreck in your 72 and watch yourself be a bloody stain in your metal cab
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
Cars and trucks thesedays are made to save your butt if you get in a wreck they crumple around you. Get in a high speed wreck in your 72 and watch yourself be a bloody stain in your metal cab
Posted via Mobile Device
Dont let the NTSB see this remark, they will be banning our trucks and cars from the road.

I just hope that my son takes pride in the truck as I do. He cant even keep he newer truck clean tho.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #41
meter swinger

I think the 2000-2006 GM trucks will be sought after.
As far as the latest offerings they all look the same to me. The uniqueness and distinctive style among GM/ford/dodge is long gone imho. Fullsize toyotas look like a fullsize dodge or ford to me. There is very little individual design and style. If you lined up a 65 c10, a 65 f100, and 65 dodge, the styling differences would be so obvious it would be difficult to confuse them.
I think that creativity has taken a back seat to meeting the overregulation the government has strangled the auto industry with.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #42
nate_g_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I think the 88-98 style trucks will hold strong and be in demand in the coming years. Even more so than the 73-87 style trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I agree that the 88-98 is the next "classic" truck to restore. I saw a 90s SWB this weekend that had new paint, lowered with wide 20's on it. It was like breath of fresh air compared to all of the newer trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
I agree that 88-98s will be the next classic truck. There still pretty simple mechanically and they look good.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is true. They are already classics. The body lines are clean, and the later models have a well-designed interior (IMO!). Is there a lot of plastic? Yeah, but that's just a part of when they were made. Just like the vinyl that graces so many trucks of our eras.

I wish I hadn't sold the '95. Even with 240k miles on the odometer, it still ran great. Did it get terrible gas mileage? Heck yeah, but I had a lot of good memories in that truck, as did my dad. If I had a place to store it, and had the $1700 I sold it for, I would buy it back in a heartbeat.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
Damon23

I see about the same amount of chance as the trucks we are driving today being restored. They'll have new technology then to reproduce all the materials and probably make them better than today. People will always restore stuff. I think more and more people are starting to go back to their youth when they have disposable income and whatever appealed to their youth is what they will restore, desireable or not. Take for instance the third generation Camaros and Trans Ams. That was the car back in the day to have. Now, most are ragged out or have already been made into coke cans. But some people are really going to the extreme to put them back. www.thirdgen.org is a good example of that. I had one last year, did the power tour in it and loved it. I sold it because my son wanted to build a truck so now I have a 82. People thought I was nuts for buying that car for what I did, but it was nice, had rare options and most of all I liked it. Some people see our trucks and don't get it, just a old rusty truck, but to us they are what we like. Personally, I cant wait to see the day 5th gen Camaros, new Mustangs and Challengers are being restored cause then I'll have stories of "I remember the day we took our '13 Challenger off the lot..........".

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
GOPAPA

It wont be as easy because of goverment restrictions. and 40 years from now ,,all travel will be different , battery cars only probably sold.. so to find a old truck from 2013 or older might be real hard.because,,,
.you see how they called for a crush on cars just couple years ago ,,I think that they will stop all highway use for gas engines and crush like never before.
Any way somthing along these lines anyway will happen ..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #45
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Custom10Nut View Post
Look at the 78-86 cars and trucks. I didn't like them when they were new, but now you see very few.. why? Because they were garbage. Remember when the loan would out last the vehicle?
Bottom line is that very few vehicles have that special trait that makes them a classic. It just so happens that ours are the most beautiful pieces of machinery ever made.
Biased much? Seriously, do you have a large enough dumpster that I can throw my garbage in since it will never be considered a classic?
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #46
SCHRUMGMC

To me that truck looks like a Classic
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
GM-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
To me that truck looks like a Classic
X2!! My 79 is unrestored and definitely has old patina loom going on, but everyone loves it and compliments it. You know anything that stands the test of time is a classic. So if these new cars do then by all means they will be some day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #48
SCHRUMGMC

My buddy Mr. Houk has a Rare 79 model.Sports hood.Dark red and white.Two tone.No rust or anything..Looks brand new
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #49
Leinie

Only if you can restore a truck with an I-pod.
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #50
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Biased much? Seriously, do you have a large enough dumpster that I can throw my garbage in since it will never be considered a classic?
There are very few Squares I like. And the ones I like tend to be more or less restored, not custom or alot of "bolton customs". I like some of the clean, tasteful, usually highly optioned factory looking ones.This is a great example of what I like. Ones that really stood out when they were new.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote