The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

In 40 years, do you think they'll be restoring & giving a damn about today's trucks?

I saw a new Dodge truck today in the parking lot, and aside from resembling a beached sperm whale, I couldn't help but wonder if people will be restoring today's new trucks years from now. There's so much plastic, electronics, and light metal, I wonder if there would even be any around to attempt a restoration, let alone anyone to care.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe this country can get back to making something original with good heavy metal, and less complicated engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Davemotohead

Re: In 40 years, do you think they'll be restoring & giving a damn about today's truc

Hell No! Todays cars/trucks are like bic lighters,,once they are used up into the trash they go! I had a 2008 top O the line Z71 4x4 chevy POS,,Got rid of it and went back to my 71,,my big Block 71 get better MPG than the 6L plastic rattlel trap Pile O junk GM is building these days! With all the computor Crap and plastic do dads and sensors and other junk you can't even fix the cigar lighter,,oh wait! they dont have those any more because they are not politicaly correct! they have power ports! Also the new wiring is made of recycled vegetable matter and the rodents eat it like candy! Old school is the only way to go!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Muncie

Re: In 40 years, do you think they'll be restoring & giving a damn about today's truc

Not sure, but as far as my 02 Sierra is concerned, I give a damn! haha But I do agree that it has way too much plastic on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I'm not sure today's trucks would be much good in post apocalyptic times.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Scott>72-GMC

I had a 98 gmc. Great strong truck. Anything newer. Not for me. Had an 05 pos compared to the. 98 with the vortec.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
SLOW POKE

Have any of you guys lifted the tailgait on a new truck? I went to close my buddies 08 Chevy tailgate and thought I was going to break it!!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Scott>72-GMC

Very light very
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
skorpioskorpio

Sorry to say but I think anything with a "Check Engine" light, especially here in Cali is destined for a future "Cash for Clunkers" incentive... and I fear that in not so many years California's strict emission requirements will be more the norm than the exception, pretty much dooming any vehicle that relies on, what will be, crude antiquated electronics, that can not be altered, in order to meet emission requirements. I really don't see how any modern vehicle makes it 40 years, if at any point in it's life it is neglected and not meticulously maintained all along. That said modern vehicles are probably much more likely to see 100K miles without a major repair than our trucks ever dreamed of, however they are probably less likely to see 200K with those major repairs.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
70Custom10Nut

Look at the 78-86 cars and trucks. I didn't like them when they were new, but now you see very few.. why? Because they were garbage. Remember when the loan would out last the vehicle?
Bottom line is that very few vehicles have that special trait that makes them a classic. It just so happens that ours are the most beautiful pieces of machinery ever made.
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
'72customdeluxe

Other than the fisher price interior and (I'm sure) impending 4l60e rebuild, my '05 had been great. Headers and a tune got it to 14.49 @ 97 with a 2.3 second 60' time it has had some small tweaks since then. 100k miles, and I've had to do a hub assembly and inner tie rod end. It gets abused daily. This one seems stout enough body wise, but my future brother in law's '08 will dent if you breathe on it wrong. Tail gate is way light as y'all said. Both my '72 and my '05 make me smile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I think the 88-98 style trucks will hold strong and be in demand in the coming years. Even more so than the 73-87 style trucks.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
joesgreen67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Maybe this country can get back to making something original with good heavy metal, and less complicated engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah and maybe hunters will stop using rifles and throw rocks like cavemen did!

Maybe we can forget technology all together and resort to horse & buggy
joesgreen67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
BrutonLS1

I'm sad to say that I don't have much faith either. It truly is sad to see what vehicles are becoming. What happened to the cheap gas prices? the road trips? cruising around town for the fun of it? Back then things changed on a vehicle every year, different tail lights, different grill, different hood. It was exciting to look at a vehicle and try to figure out what year it was and what package it had. Now there's no way to tell the difference. People drive to work and pass their same vehicle 3-5 times a day, not me though! If I pass someone with a 67-72 I'm glad to see them and give em' a smile and a wave!
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 GMC long bed 5.7/700R4
--I'd rather push a Chevy, than drive a Ford.--
BrutonLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Maybe this country can get back to making something original with good heavy metal, and less complicated engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely never, ever gonna happen.

The government is ramming emission and fuel economy standards at the manufacturers that are so difficult to meet that they have to resort to this stuff.

To get fuel economy and still provide the luxury that consumers demand, they have to lighten everything as much as possible.

To meet emissions and still provide the power levels consumers want, they have to get ever more complex with the engines.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Yes,I think there will always be vehicles from every year that people will want to restore. It gets proven as each year or era passes. This conversation has been taking place since long before most of you ever took notice of these trucks. Clubs keep changing the years they are limited to so newer vehicles are included. It wasn't long ago that Chevy cars were limited to 55-57 and Impalas up to '64,with '58s.59/60s,and even '61s in their own smaller separate groups. '65? Forget it. You wouldn't find a single year specific part in any catalog as recent as the '90s. There were always people who liked the other stuff,but little to no parts support and you had to look long and hard to find another enthusiast with the same interest in your particular vehicle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

In 40 years, I wonder if people will still give a damn about what's a classic today?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I think the 88-98 style trucks will hold strong and be in demand in the coming years. Even more so than the 73-87 style trucks.
I agree that the 88-98 is the next "classic" truck to restore. I saw a 90s SWB this weekend that had new paint, lowered with wide 20's on it. It was like breath of fresh air compared to all of the newer trucks.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
pat 70/71

I don't think in 40 years the current model year trucks will be driving around because who could afford to maintain them? Based on what parts cost now for them. New trucks have a service life span that is not as long as we would like.
Generally 60 months or when your payment book is complete.Planed obsolescence my friends, it sucks but its real.
The current model Trucks will only be in museums in 40 years
Cheers, Pat
Posted via Mobile Device
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Old Money

only two chances, slim and none!!!!!!.
Old Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
cdowns

40years rom now ?? no oil cause nobody wanted to use ethanol type gas so it ran out and everbody then went back to horses and donkeys
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Yeah, don't get me wrong guys. In addition to the truck, I also have a very modern car, with a lot of technology in it. I appreciate it for what it is, but can't see people caring about it in 40 years.

It's interesting how the government cares so much about fuel efficiency, that they make metal light, which results in many other fuel costs and emissions to haul the junk metal around to then melt it down, and then all the steel mill costs and emissions. Meanwhile, people get in more debt buying newer cars all the time, which has a whole host of other economic setbacks
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
GM-power

I agree that 88-98s will be the next classic truck. There still pretty simple mechanically and they look good. After that its all plastic disposalible crap, hardly anyone I know thats young in high school like me has a passion for automotive stuff. I think the lack of anybody wanting to get to know even the basic of automotive repair and the complexity of todays vehicals will make them classics one day. Who know though, did anyone ever think their old chevy, or for that matter any brand, would be anything special in the future? Who knows, I just hope im surprised!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
leddzepp

No, we will be living on the moon by then
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #24
AntiGov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Absolutely never, ever gonna happen.

The government is ramming emission and fuel economy standards at the manufacturers that are so difficult to meet that they have to resort to this stuff.

To get fuel economy and still provide the luxury that consumers demand, they have to lighten everything as much as possible.

To meet emissions and still provide the power levels consumers want, they have to get ever more complex with the engines.
x2
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Another factor is that newer vehicles must be driven. If someone comes upon a 2012 "barn find" camaro in 40 years with 20k miles on it, you may have to spend thousands just to get it to fire. Even then the lifters will probably be shot, etc. One of the reasons I dont want to put an LS in my c10. I just don't drive it enough to ensure the motors longevity. Stuff goes bad when they sit.
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote