The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #26
junkyardjohn

Asking Questions Is Great In My Opinion, As Long As Asking A Question Isn't Concidered Grounds For Tying Up A Part For Sale. I Have Said On Several Posts For Items For Sale "i'll Take It If The Shipping Isn't Too Far Outa Line" Or I'll Take It If It Will Fit My 72 Short Fleet 2wd, But I Don't Think A Guy Asking What Gear Ratio You Have In The Axel You Have For Sale Is Grounds For Holding It For 48 Or 72 Hours, Just Because He Might Be Interested In It & Asked The First Question About It. Instead How About Saying --- " I Really Need A .373 Posi 12 Bolt Truck Rearend, & I'd Buy It In A Heartbeat If It Is".
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #27
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
Asking Questions Is Great In My Opinion, As Long As Asking A Question Isn't Concidered Grounds For Tying Up A Part For Sale. I Have Said On Several Posts For Items For Sale "i'll Take It If The Shipping Isn't Too Far Outa Line" Or I'll Take It If It Will Fit My 72 Short Fleet 2wd, But I Don't Think A Guy Asking What Gear Ratio You Have In The Axel You Have For Sale Is Grounds For Holding It For 48 Or 72 Hours, Just Because He Might Be Interested In It & Asked The First Question About It. Instead How About Saying --- " I Really Need A .373 Posi 12 Bolt Truck Rearend, & I'd Buy It In A Heartbeat If It Is".
In a perfect world I can see what youre sayin, fact is selling is dealing with lots of different types of people, some sharp, lots not.
ZIP 91351

Last edited by boraxman; 03-30-2005 at 09:42 PM.
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:22 PM   #28
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

W hat ever happened to the first one to back up their mouth with their money Gets it????

In The real world, If you're selling a Truck in the paper do you wait for a guy that's called with questions to come by to LOOK at it when the guy with money in his hand is trying to hand it to you.... Not me.. I have, in the past, saved something for a caller because he's said, " hey man, I really want that so don't sell it, I'm on my way now..." They have either not shown up!! OR when they do show up it's something Like " Damn man Those aren't the wheels on that truck that I like, But I'll offer you half of what you want for the truck, because I don't like those wheels"

So why should we wait for "Looky Lookers" here on the board, when we wouldn't do it in a Local For Sale add????

There are guys on this board that I would send the part to without payment,, after they said I need it but give me a couple of weeks, or a month or so to get the money.. And,, they've done it for me..

I blew a deal a few months back on this board, because I waited for a "Questioneer"... I had another guy say I need it..How do I pay you !!?? Stupid me didn't say it's yours !! No,,,, I was a Nice guy and Kept answering questions and sending 35 pics of different views while the guy with the real money spent it somewhere else and the "Questioneer" didn't come through anway,,, after "he" said I'll take it !!!

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 03-30-2005 at 10:28 PM.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #29
J Y Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boraxman
In a perfect world I can see what youre sayin, fact is selling is dealing with lots of different types of people, some sharp, lots not.

Can't argue with that.

Jim
J Y Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:55 PM   #30
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

It's too bad that it has to be that way but....

If you read the original post, there was only one question being asked.

"Is it still for sale?" this was answered by "yes it is" this was almost immediately responded to by "Tell me where I can send payment." not I need some pics, not I need some time, not a bunch of questions at all. Then the seller stopped responding obviously, leaving a very serious buyer hangin out to dry.

That is rude and unprofessional. Have you ever been ignored by a salesperson at Walfart or the like. It pi$$es you off, at least it pi$$es me off. I think that was the original reason for this thread.

I think that if you offer the item up for sale on the board and you have a very active buyer then you should refrain from selling the item to someone else.

If the need to sell the item was immediate then the item should not have been advertised on the board to begin with.

It is only common sense that there will be some questions about an item especially when there is NO pictures and the price is over $100.00. If the seller was unwilling to answer these questions or unprepared to answer these questions thwn donot place the item on the board.

Just my $.02
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 PM   #31
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

I think I will chime in and agree with you all and I think in order to join this board you should have to state where you live. If you do not choose to do that then you should find somewhere else to do your dealings. I have seen time and time again newer members not fill out there location and you have to ask them over and over again when they list something where are you from. COME ON IT CANNOT BE THAT HARD TO SHOW YOUR LOCATION.

PT
94 SILVERADO SWB 5/7 drop
2000 Silverado swb
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 (Surprisingly very fast)
2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
BATESBURG, SC. 29006
Some of my restorations
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/thu...NAME=snapfish/
Restored Tach tins 8 cyl - 6 cyl
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518185
Contact info(Not my paypal address) DAWGSFAN227@YAHOO.COM

God Bless Our Troops
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #32
69 Short Fleet

^ Some good points made, I think it would help resolve many issues if ALL seller's would explain what the part is fully completely with pics. This would reduce legitimate repeated posts from members on "who, what, why, when, where" and the seller having to answer them. I'm not saying it does not happen as a lot of members already do this. Personally I do not do a deal if I don't have the money (I consider the money spent as soon as I hit the "Post Reply" button) and if I buy something I make dang sure the board member has his payment sent the following day (unless its a weekend or holiday). Follow-up from the start is important. Jerry, I'd be choked too... the guy shd be warned... he should NOT of sold the posi from under you, Regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #33
'70_402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Files
EJ also blew me away with non-communication, so no dealing with him simple enough!
The word is in the wind, I hope you see this EJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerCST
Just a gut feeling, but you were probably better off not getting the chance to buy it. Whenever someone gives me very little info, doesn't take paypal, and won't give me even a phone #, I get suspicious. That's why I backed out. I've been burned before. (not here)

I also backed out for these same reasons... it didn't seem right... better off anyways cause i had to spend that money on something else anyways.... i just wonder sometimes if people selling things know that comunication is thier best friend.......if you are not going to be around for a while then don't post something for sale.... wait unitll you have time to deal with it...
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:24 PM   #34
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
JERRY.. I AGREE THAT FROM BOTH A BUYERS & SELLERS POINT OF VIEW, THAT PEOPLE NEED TO DO MORE THAN SAY "I'M INTERESTED" OR ASK A QUESTION TO TIE THIS PART UP FOR DAYS. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO SAYING "I'LL TAKE IT"?? AS FAR AS I'AM CONCERNED UNTIL SOMEONE STEPS UP & SAYS "SOLD.. I'LL TAKE IT"..... IT'S STILL FOR SALE. THERE SEEMS TO BE WAY TO MANY PEOPLE SAYING "AWW GEE-WIZ I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS RIGHT NOW, OR I THINK I'LL PASS BECAUSE IT'S TOO COLD TO WORK ON MY TRUCK RIGHT NOW, OR I'M SURE COUSIN GEORGE WOULD WANT IT BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET AHOLD OF HIM , OR COULD YOU POST 37 MULTI-ANGLE PICTURES, BECAUSE I MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS ITEM, & WILL LET YOU KNOW IN 3 OR 4 DAYS. JOHN
I agree with every word John. If a buyer loses a sale because they wanted pics, more info, etc... they snoozed.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #35
GreyHoundSteve

I havent sold allot of parts on here but i will say this as far as the "system" is concerned. If i post a part for sale and i get a pm from someone local saying that they will be by to pick it up tomorrow with cash in hand i dont care how many people want to get in line on the thread the part is sold to the most suitable buyer and i dont see anything wrong with that.
Like John said, its real easy for peeps to post "put me 1st in line" and then back out later when they had no intention of ever buying the part in the first place but just wanted to hold it up from others. I think thats a load of bs and i have seem countless threads with up to 10 + people getting "in line". Im sorry but whats the point of a "dibs" system when you get a bunch of window shoppers just posting one liners on a thread.
Also, the parts board moves so fast that in a day you may have lost your thread so imo pm's are for serous buyers and thread posts are for question askers and i'll take a serous buyer over a guy saying "i got dibs, can you tell the the life story of this part" and then posting 5 days later that he isnt interested any longer.
I know the board doesnt want bidding on parts but i dont see anything wrong with a sellers right to choose the most suitable buyer price aside. I agree that the price should be the price period but some people want you to put in allot of extra work and i dont think i seller should have to do that just because that guy was the first to post on their thread.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #36
nyncompute

The perils of what you suggest are the following:
What if you deem the "suitable buyer" is the guy who PM's you and offers you 10 bucks more to give it to him unbeknowst to the potential buyers who responded on the thread? Then the guys in line and had dibs, get the proverbial shaft in this case. I suspect this has happened a few times. If you have a problem with shipping, just state so in the discription of the item.
Also I have always appreciated the sellers insisting buyers respond on the thread it seems to keep everone in the loop. Having to wade through the backer-outers seems to be an occupational hazard but your stuff will get sold with a few ttt's.
Lastly as stated before communication is the key..it allows everyone to know what is for sale, to whom, and on what terms.
On the otherhand I could be full of it.... thats always a possibility
nyncompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:15 PM   #37
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Thing ive noticed on the buyer side is you have to be quick. If theres peeps ahead of you, theres still a chance the part may come down to you.

One of the nice things about the parts board is not having to bid. Its good to be able to buy a good part for a good price...but the competition is tuff.

I also like the idea of replying in the thread, thats how I sell, keeps everyone in the loop and honest.
ZIP 91351

Last edited by boraxman; 03-31-2005 at 02:18 PM.
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #38
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

My last thought on this is this: If you have a part to sell, as a seller you should:
provide a good picture
give a detailed description
be ready to give a shipping price
stay on top of the thread and keep it where it can be seen, as said before, the posts move fast here.

As a buyer:
DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING!!
I know shipping has killed a few good deals for me because I was on the wrong side of the country, try to figure out shipping as soon as possible and if it's too much, let the seller know roght away.
Arrange payment with the seller as quickly as possible,
If you snooze or sleep on it, you might very well lose. I don't want to lose a sale because of someone lollygagging either.
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #39
dtlilly
Account Suspended

If you post on a thread, "I want that item, PM sent", that tells the board you are going to buy the item, and the item is sold. If you back out because you don't want to pay the shipping costs, your a leaker, and ruined the sale for the seller, and in my opinion ruined your credibility as a prospective buyer for any and all future items offered by any one.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #40
70short/step

Guess there are people on here that I will Never Sell to or Buy From!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #41
Bamm

What do you guy think about someone who replies "I want it, as long as shipping doesn't kill the deal"? I recently wanted to buy a set of big block manifolds from a board member out in California. He had a decent price on them ($50) and they were what I wanted, but shipping ended up being almost as much as the manifolds. Like $35 bucks or better if I remember correctly. The extra $35+ shipping killed the deal, but there was no way to know that until the shipping was quoted to me. And I have learned the hard way that you can't just guess shipping and get it close, you will get burned. I sold a part a little while back, small part (I won't say what because I don't want the buyer feeling bad) I figured it wouldn't be more than $7-8 or so to ship it to the midwest. In order to get the shipping cost to him quickly, I told him $7 shipping on a $15 part. Shipping ended up costing me $17.50. I made $4. What i'm saying is, shipping can make or break deals, I don't think that you are a "bad guy" if you want an item and then have to back out because shipping was huge. .....Jerry
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #42
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I agree with Jerry, I didnt have a problem with it and YES the maniflods are still for sale.

Thanks
Jerry
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #43
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm 24
What do you guy think about someone who replies "I want it, as long as shipping doesn't kill the deal"? ... What i'm saying is, shipping can make or break deals, I don't think that you are a "bad guy" if you want an item and then have to back out because shipping was huge. .....Jerry
I'm not trying to be a hard @ss here, but between the first person that responds "I want, unless...", and the second responder that responds "I will take, send me the total", I will favor the second responder because it is too easy for the first poster to pull out at the last minute and say shipping was too much. Now the seller has lost possible sales, because a prospective buyer may have read the post, was interested in buying the part, then stops looking at the thread because they assume the part had been sold. The seller loses in the long run, because thay had to package the part, run to a shipper to get a quote to your Zip code, then have to re-post the part because some one said, "Awww, that's more than I expected, I pass to the next in line".

On line sales are like the old days, a man's word is his promise... break your word too many times, and your not a man anymore.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #44
Bamm

I think a lot of people have found out on ebay that you need to check the shipping prices. With UPS and Fedex prices getting higher all the time with rising gas prices and such, you can't just figure on $10 or less on shipping. I don't think someone bailing over huge shipping prices is a bad guy, now if shipping on the manifolds I was referring to was $10 and I passed on it, that would show that I really wasn't interested in the part, and in need of a beatdown for being "one of those guys".
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 PM   #45
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm 24
... With UPS and Fedex prices getting higher all the time with rising gas prices... that would show that I really wasn't interested in the part, and in need of a beatdown for being "one of those guys".
Come on now!, no one deserves a beating (well, no one I'll say in public ). Yes gas prices are Way up, but a perspective buyer needs to be educated on costs. It's not up to the seller to know every shipping charge across every zip code. The responsibility is on the buyer. Yep, you might as well expect a $15 shipping charge on the smaller items, and in excess of $50-$75 for the larger stuff.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #46
HuggerCST

There is no clear cut answer that everyone will agree with. Everyone has good points. The only thing that would help is for everyone (buyers and sellers) to be completely clear when you post. Post pics, a detailed description, keep everything out in the open, and either be ready to give a shipping price, or give a flat rate on shipping. I think posting your zip when selling helps too, so the buyer can get at least an educated guess on shipping.
Well, I guess there is one answer. Josh could have it set up similar to ebay. Not bidding, but have a questionaire to fill out with required fields and required pics, lol. Could even have a feedback system I suppose. I can just imagine what that might cost though, then he would have to charge a fee to sellers, and would need more help to run it... Ok, I'll quit dreaming now, lol.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #47
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
Come on now!, no one deserves a beating (well, no one I'll say in public ). Yes gas prices are Way up, but a perspective buyer needs to be educated on costs. It's not up to the seller to know every shipping charge across every zip code. The responsibility is on the buyer. Yep, you might as well expect a $15 shipping charge on the smaller items, and in excess of $50-$75 for the larger stuff.
I JUST LAST WEEK SHIPPED A BLAZER HATCH TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. I FIGURED OR GUESSED $35. THE SHIPPING CAME TO $78 TO SHIP IT 700 MILES. I ATE IT. (THANK GOD HE DIDN'T LIVE IN MAINE )I SHIPPED ONE JUST ABOUT A YEAR AGO, 3 TIMES AS FAR AT A COST OF $29. GAS PRICES ARE AFFECTING SHIPPING COSTS BIG TIME. THIS WAS THRU FED EX. DON'T BE SURPRISED AT THE HIGH COST OF SHIPPING LATELY, OR JUST ASSUME THAT THE SELLER IS TRYING TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS OFF OF YOU. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #48
GMC AMI

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boraxman
Thing ive noticed on the buyer side is you have to be quick. If theres peeps ahead of you, theres still a chance the part may come down to you.

One of the nice things about the parts board is not having to bid. Its good to be able to buy a good part for a good price...but the competition is tuff.

I also like the idea of replying in the thread, thats how I sell, keeps everyone in the loop and honest.
What a guy, AAA+++. Keep it open.

Every one wants Heaven on Earth, ironic is it not???
Attached Images

Last edited by GMC AMI; 03-31-2005 at 05:58 PM.
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #49
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
I JUST LAST WEEK SHIPPED A BLAZER HATCH TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. I FIGURED OR GUESSED $35. THE SHIPPING CAME TO $78 TO SHIP IT 700 MILES. I ATE IT. (THANK GOD HE DIDN'T LIVE IN MAINE )I SHIPPED ONE JUST ABOUT A YEAR AGO, 3 TIMES AS FAR AT A COST OF $29. GAS PRICES ARE AFFECTING SHIPPING COSTS BIG TIME. THIS WAS THRU FED EX. DON'T BE SURPRISED AT THE HIGH COST OF SHIPPING LATELY, OR JUST ASSUME THAT THE SELLER IS TRYING TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS OFF OF YOU. JOHN
No doubt, i shipped a pair of peep mirrors in a box not much larger than a fist and the total came to $11 and some change. I had already told the guy $20 to his door so needless to say i took a bath on the deal.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #50
nu2-72

May I make a suggestion? Why don't all the members that have responded to this thread amend their sig. to state their zip.
If you want an intake from Cali., it will be heavy and you can figure the shipping (close) yourself. If you know your own zip of course. LOL
I mean come on, hoods are big and engines are heavy. We all know that.
Problem arrises with different shipping methods. I may check UPS but the buyer wants Greyhound.
Perhaps all sale posts should also include shipper. Ex. "I use FedEx."
I guess the simple thing is just to be as descriptive and thorough as you can.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote