The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #26
bh86

Re: 82 stepped retired farm truck

Have a question for Just Call Me Sean, would the the axle shafts swap from the 10 bolt in my c10 to the camaro thus eliminating the bolt pattern issue?
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
Just call me Sean

I don't know. If they did you would have to get custom drilled rotors to use the disc brake setup. You could also get custom drilled axles if they don't.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
Have a question for Just Call Me Sean, would the the axle shafts swap from the 10 bolt in my c10 to the camaro thus eliminating the bolt pattern issue?
No, they will not swap.

The Camaro axle is a 28 spline and 30-1/16" long. The truck 10 bolt is also 28 spline, but the length is 31-5/16". That makes the Camaro axle to short...

See this site for info:
http://www.yukongear.com/PartsList.a...ar+(Both+Sides)

I know that Travis at ProPerformance can order Moser replacement axles with the 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern and the proper center hub diameter for about $260 a set.

The '95 rear end is wider overall than the existing one in your '82.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square

Last edited by aggie91; 11-13-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added about the '95 rear end.
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
bh86

Well son of a...I never knew all of this. Learn something new everyday thanks guy!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #30
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'd like to see you re-route those front brake hoses back down underneath the control arms like they originally were. When you install drop spindles you have to bend the ends of the lines to make them clear, but they will bend without issue. Myself and others on here have done it many, many times.

Here is my 78 driver truck with drop spindles.

They're tucked tidily down in between the castle nut and the spindle and don't rub or hit anything.

Also, your upper ball joint hardware is upside down. They are to be installed with the bolt heads beneath the arm and the nuts and washers on top. I know this is counter intuitive to standard procedures, but necessary as the exposed ends of the bolts will abrade the rubber boots on the ball joints when the boots are fully poofed out with grease and the suspension cycles. This is well illustrated in my second picture above. Imagine if that were a threaded bolt sticking down under that ball joint rather than a bolt head. It would be rubbing the rubber boot.

Be very, very cautious about your rear differential. I've done a pile of sandblasting over the years and tried many different ways of fighting it, but have never seen an assembled differential sandblasted that did not get some sand inside of it. Even using duct tape around all of the seals, it still happens. I'd like to see you open the cover, pop the axles out, and thoroughly clean the inside of it before you run it down the road.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #31
bh86

wow thanks for the heads up thats why I love this board, always somebody who knows more and is there to help. I didn't really like the brake lines from the get go and was thinking of ordering some stainless steel lines but I'll do exactly as you have there, that looks perfect. Kind of a dumb mistake on my part lol. As far as the reared goes i do plan on either rebuilding that one completely or swapping it for another seeing as how this one is completely wore out. Thanks again for the heads up and the helpful tips.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #32
bh86

made a lil progress today, pulled the ls out from the depths of the shop. It's pretty damn cold right now so i had to fire up the btu heater while I worked in the shop. Shop is turning into a war zone, it looks like a bomb went off. Anyway so I pulled the harness, stripped the unnecessary junk and labeled everything so tomorrow i can put the relays and fuse panel together. Found out my oil pan is now backed up til tuesday, was supposed to arrive no later than tomorrow smh oh well it'll give me time to prep other stuff I suppose
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #33
bh86

I apologize for some of the crappy pics btw
Old 11-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #34
bh86

Any suggestions on tires? Size, brand etc.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #35
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Tire size for stock skinny hubcap wheels ?

On a lowered truck I run 215/75/15 front and 235/75-15 rear.

The front tire is short enough to clear the fenderwells down to a full 5 inches of lowering. The back tires are stock height so your speedometer reads properly. Both tires being a 75 series, you can usually get matching front and rear brand and pattern. I'm actually running that size on my stepside with full dropmember and air suspension. They are stupid cheap too. Like 300-350 dollars per set out the door.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #36
bh86

Ya I'll be running the stock hub cap wheels for the time being. Thanks I'll check into those sizes and see what I can find!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #37
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

You asked about the rear bumper earlier. Stepside squares are one of the few vehicles that look pretty good with no rear bumper at all. The roll pans they make look kind of weird, but no rear bumper and no roll pan looks pretty good
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #38
bh86

Interesting I've never really paid attention im gonna do some lookin and see what I can find for pics
Old 11-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #39
bh86

I came across a cheap ls2 cam and was debating a cam swap. I've heard the cam sensor is in a different position but I googled it and didn't see much that made sense lol anybody know what the scoop is on these?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 AM   #40
bh86

haven't updated much lately. Things have been busy but i've been able to make some good progress and should be able to drop the cab on this week and finish up all the little wiring stuff and get it started up. Got the motor pulled from the back of the shop and put it on the stand, stripped it down, cleaned it, put in new gaskets and replaced a few sensors. I had to replace the knock sensors since one was brittle and the top piece broke off when i pulled the wiring connector off it also was brittle and cracked so i ended up making a trip to the parts store and 150$ bucks later i had both sensors and the wiring harness...ouch. I swapped out the 2 wire temp sender for a three, and made a trip to the hardware and fitting place close by and put an adaptor together for the oil pressure sender also. Swapped the cts-v pan on while i was at it and painted things up a little.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #41
bh86

a few more, had to take time out to fix my lil yota that had a front hub assembly go out. It's an annual occurrence lol she gets used
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 AM   #42
bh86

finally got the suspension stuff thrown together and was able to set it down on it's tires which is nice...oh and i did fix the brake lines and ball joint bolts thanks to tx firefighter, thanks again. I finally got the motor and tranny bolted together and decided i wasn't goin home til i got it all bolted in, i was working by myself but it's not a tough job with a good cherry picker and no body in the way. Everything was goin smooth and easy until i dropped it in and tried to throw the bolts in on the motor mounts and that's when i realized that i mounted the mounts in the wrong wholes on the towers...fml. So I had to lift it up enough to get into pull everything out, which isn't hard, but it def sucks getting the bolts from up inside the front crossmember when you don't have an extra set of hands and it's midnight lol i still can't believe I did that but what the hell, learned a lesson and won't do that again. But anyway, it's nice to have things taking shape finally. I have to apologize for the lack of detailed information. I'll get more detailed pics of some of the lil details along the way, I want to put in some actual useful and helpful info that I've come across along the way. I'm new to the online build stuff and I usually just start working and forget to document everything the way i ought to but I'm gonna start doing better with that, i've had a lot of help on this board and need to payback however i can.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #43
bh86

I haven't posted anything for a while but the build has been going strong. I'll post more pics and info over the next few days but as of right now this is how she sits.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #44
Hankster

I just read thru the Build, Looks good, I vote for keeping the back bumper for the sake that its different, and also, do you still have that No P/S Steering box? If so Please PM me. Thanks

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #45
l92powered77

Exclamation Re: 82 stepped retired farm truck

Hey man nice 82 really liking the ls swap and body tear down you doing. definitely not scared of the elbow grease keep up good work!!
l92powered77 is offline   Reply With Quote