The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #26
truck69

Would Checkmate have one that fits a C20 longbed fleetside?

truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #27
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm
Thanks Shifty, and is that what I think it is in your Avitar?

Beading up where? on top of the cover or underneith, I am looking to keep the bed mostly dry For as low cost as possible. I know there will be some leakage, there is with my camper now.
Avatar is Domo-Kun. Google search for more info on that one...

Beading up on top of the cover. Beading is something you'll deal with on most covers, but ... if it's a leather, cloth or plastic cover, this sitting water will have more ill effect on leather, cloth or plastic than it would on painted fiberglass.

The checkmate covers are nice. If you're looking to keep water out of the truck, these are the things you want to look for (and some other luxury items that are a necessity IMHO):

- Beveled edge to fit over the bedrails (see lost wages' picture)
- Moisture seal on the part that meets the bed surface
- Pneumatic shocks for lifting/keeping it up

These three items will make getting stuff in and out of the bed easy and it will keep moisture out. If that's all you want to do, there's no real point in spending any more than what you would on a Checkmate.

Side bonus: When you're done with it, it should be an easy resale item here on the forums. Just knock off 20-25% from the purchase price and you're good to go.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 05-05-2005 at 12:06 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #28
bstack

Lemield, what color is that on your truck? Do you have any more pictures of it you can post?

Thanks
87 Chev. 1/2 Ton 4x4 Swb
bstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #29
phlegm
Still Green but learning

I ordered one today, I went with the sportmaster side slant cover, snaps only no hinge. I decided I didnt want the hinge becuase if I was away from home and needed to use the bed for an oversized load the rolling and 3 support removal would be easier then removing the entire top, leaving it where it was and coming back for it later. Generally the stuff I haul is either to off or can fit through the tailgate.

I liked the sportmaster because it covered the bed rails and stake holes, since the top of the bed has holes all in it from old covers this was important to keep rust down on the rails and in the bed. I am hopefull about the way it looks, I will post some pics when its on.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #30
Sillyoldman

Here is a GT classic by Gemtop. It is a low profile steel cover. Looks great seals great and does not add any curves to the natural body lines of the truck. I would suggest the double lock. Please excuse me for posting "brand-X". Its my beater.
Attached Images

Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #31
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstack
Lemield, what color is that on your truck? Do you have any more pictures of it you can post?

Thanks
It's a repaint of the Dark Olive color. The PO did it but I still think it looks nice.

Here is another pic.
Attached Images

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #32
Dean

I have a soft very dark blue one that I would sell cheap if any interest. It has the aluminum frame. I'm near Cincinnati, Ohio. Long bed cover.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote