The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #26
Joe67
67 is sold

While the tank behind the rear axle may be more at risk, I have yet to read one post about one being involved in a wreck that caused the tank to rupture.

Is it possible? Sure it is. But I have never read about one case on the few years I've been on this board.

Just my $.02

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #27
Mudder

My rear tank is basically done just like 95% of all the Blazers out there.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #28
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY
I had a rear tank made for my pickup. In doing so I have modified the original design of the truck. Since I have a lowered truck with a roll pan, I welded in a 4" C channel to protect the tank in the case of a rear impact. If there ever is a colision and fire, I may be in trouble for changing the design but I have been diligent in protecting the tank with frame metal from impacts from all sides. A tank behind the seat does not offer much protection from side impacts.
Very good idea in making a frame around it...have you done anything from damage on the bottom of it? Most cars will go UNDER the rear of our trucks and lift our rear tires off the ground. (I know you said lowered, but hom much...this may not protain to you)
A tank behinde the seat does in fact offer plenty of side impact protectoin...it is higher than the hood on most cars sold today. (today as in the last 10 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10step
While the tank behind the rear axle may be more at risk, I have yet to read one post about one being involved in a wreck that caused the tank to rupture.

Is it possible? Sure it is. But I have never read about one case on the few years I've been on this board.
And only one example of the in tank one rupturing in an accident.
One out of the billions made, and none of the hundreds modified.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #29
farside847

never fart in your cab, it might blow up.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #30
MACO

I think fuel tank location is determined by space limitations and desired interior space which is much more of an issue on cars.
Several of the Lexus cars I work on have the tanks mounted behind the rear seat in a effort to gain more trunk room.
Some models even use a saddle tank that wraps around the drive shaft
The only down sides I see with the tank behind the seat in a truck is room and sometimes the gas smell that I think comes from the filler cap venting as my truck tank does not leak.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #31
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

[QUOTE=Longhorn Man]Very good idea in making a frame around it...have you done anything from damage on the bottom of it? Most cars will go UNDER the rear of our trucks and lift our rear tires off the ground. (I know you said lowered, but hom much...this may not protain to you)

I am lowered 4 inches. I did not protect the bottom of the tank. Since I am a pavement only driver with this truck, I did not think it was an issue. If someone runs into me and goes under the box I don't think I should have the responsiblity to protect others once they are under my vehicle. Unless I backed over them. You have to draw the line somewhere as to safety, as you can not protect from every possible equation.

When my tank was behind the seat I do remember smelling vapors on hot days when I was sitting at a light or something. Pretty sure the vapor were from the vented cap and not leaks inside the cab.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #32
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The safest location is in the front of the bed between the frame rails. There you don't have to worry about rear and or side impact, and you have the bed and stiffeners between the tank and the driveshaft.

In my 15 years of firefighting, we never had a gas tank explode. I saw a couple where the fire burnt the tank, causing the gas to vaporize, which made one heck of a blowtorch. The NBC report on GM trucks in the mid-70s was a fraud. They had to use blasting caps to get the truck to explode. From an impact standpoint, in the cab is where the tank should be. But if you want to move, go ahead. It's in the works for my 69, I want to use that space for other purposes.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #33
junkyardjohn

LIKE I SAID....I'M NOT AN "EXPERT" ON THESE TRUCKS, AND HAVE NEVER MADE THE SILLY CLAIM OF BEING ONE. KNOWING HOW TO TELL TIME DOESN'T MAKE YOU A WATCHMAKER ANYMORE THAN 5O POSTS A DAY MAKE YOU AN EXPERT ON THESE TRUCKS. I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY ELSE DOES. IF YOUR OPINION IS THAT ALL SAFTY UPGRADES ARE A BIG WASTE OF TIME, WELL THATS ONE OPINION. OPINIONS ARE LIKE @SSHOLES.... EVERYONE HAS ONE & MOST OF THEM STINK. JUST USE YOUR COMMON SENCE ( WITCH SEEMS TO BE VERY UNCOMMON ) . YA THINK JUST MAYBE THE ENGINEERS AT G.M. HAVE LEARNED JUST A LITTLE IN THE LAST 35 YEARS?? LAWSUITS?? YA RIGHT. I'M NOT A LAWER EITHER SO I CAN'T MAKE A SOUND RATIONAL DECISION ON THIS EITHER, & WON'T PRETEND THAT I DO. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I'D RATHER HAVE 20 GALLONS OF GAS 8 FEET BEHIND ME THAN 6 INCHES BEHIND ME. I THINK ANY & ALL SAFTY UPGRADES ARE WORTHWILE IN MY TRUCK. JOHN
(ANDY..I CAN'T IMAGINE ANYONE SENDING YOU HATE E-MAIL LIKE YOU'
VE OFTEN COMPLAINED ABOUT. MAYBE YOU OUGHT TO POST SOME OF IT FOR EVERYONE TO SEE, & MAYBE SOME OF THE MODS OR JOSH CAN GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-04-2005 at 06:13 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #34
Aquivarious

IMO, if you want to be safe, live in a bubble and walk everywhere. Honestly I havent heard of many explosions of gas tanks in wrecks, and if they hit you that hard, youve got more prominant things on your mind... unless your unconsious. For me, Im going to relocate the gas tank behind the axle and install 3 point harnesses. In an instance of an explosion, hopefully the bolts mounting the cab to the frame break and I fly to safety.

In any instance, dont worry about it... I just wouldnt mount it above the top wall of the bed and drive through a rifle range.

RELOCATE IT! If all else fails, reinforce the hell out of it.
Aquivarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #35
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquivarious
IMO, if you want to be safe, live in a bubble and walk everywhere.
I WANT TO BE SAFE. LIKE I SAID.... COMMON SENCE IS VERY UNCOMMON NOWADAYS. JOHN
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A MISHAP FROM JUGGELING RUNNING CHAINSAWS OR SWORD SWALLOWING, BUT COMMON SENCE TELLS ME THAT THIS IS A DANGEROUS PRACTICE, & NOT TO TRY THIS. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-04-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #36
Derrickbwg

I think folks have been watching to much Dateline, I keep hearing "blow up"...when it's really a case of rupturing and the leak catching fire(then it explodes). I have a video entitled "deadly weapons" where they put a lot of fallacies to rest...the guy takes a tank out of a truck and fills it completely (as well as half full) and shoots not only .223 rounds but tracers at that into it and he couldn't catch it on fire..he only managed to drain it. I'm more concerned about it "catching fire" directly behind me versus 4 ft or so behind me...I'll take the distance.

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 10-04-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #37
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I've had my truck for 19 yrs and have never considered to upgrade the to discs, bags, move the tank etc. First reason is money and second is I'm lazy!!!! LOL!!! I would feel safe in mine no matter what happened,especially if hit. These old trucks have real metal not junk like todays. Work in a stamping plant like me and you would know what quality is. And Andy I agree with you.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #38
matthufham

do you smoke?
sorry i had to make that big to bring out a new point in this topic. imagine having fumes but forgetting they're there and lighting up a cigarette.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

I was t-boned in my first truck,a`72.I was crossing a dual hiway and a guy ran the light and hit me at around 60 as I was going throught the intersection.Frame was bent,the cab & bed were shifted and caved in.No problem with the gas tank.Tanks were in cabs for about 50 years.Then they moved them to a more dangerous place,not for safety,but to give more interior storage.I don`t think safety is an issue in either of the two locations in question.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #40
Derrickbwg

Quote:
No problem with the gas tank.Tanks were in cabs for about 50 years.
And we used asbestos for as long...not a very logical argument
Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #41
junkyardjohn

NICE COMEBACK DERRICK. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOME PEOPLE EMBRACE 35 OR 40 YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY, LIKE IT'S THE LATEST & THE GREATEST THING. DON'T GET ME WRONG... I LOVE THESE OLD TRUCKS & I HAVE BEEN DRIVING & RESTORING THESE OLD TRUCKS FOR OVER 20 YEARS, BUT ALL OF THE NEW VEHICALS (EVEN THE CHEAP ONES) ARE MORE COMFORTABLE, HANDLE BETTER, START BETTER, STOP BETTER, HAVE WAY BETTER SAFTY EQUIPTMENT, HAVE BETTER TIRES, (RADIALS INSTEAD OF POLY BIAS PLY) COME WITH MUCH BETTER HEATING & COOLING , BETTER STERIOS, ECT. ECT. TO NOT USE ANY OF THIS TECHNOLOGY, & CLAIM THAT THIS IS ALL A WAIST OF TIME & G.M.s DESIGN FROM THE EARLY TO MID 60s IS ALL ANYONE WOULD EVER NEED TO DRIVE EVERYDAY IN MODERN TRAFFIC IS CRAZY , & IF ANY OF THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE EXPOUNDING ON THE VIRTUES OF A 40 YEAR OLD DESIGN ARE USING DISC BRAKES OR HEI DISTRIBUTERS ARE JUST PLAIN HYPOCRITICAL. I'M NOT AFRAID OF THESE TRUCKS BLOWING UP, BUT THAT WOULD BE ALMOST PREFERABLE TO SLOWLY BURNING TO DEATH. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-05-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #42
Joe67
67 is sold

[Rodney King voice]Can't we all just.... get along[/Rodney King voice]

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #43
redhead69
fugedaboutit

VinceY do have a pic of the extra bracing you did?.. I'm interested in doing some extra bracing after reading threads like this. I personally relocated my tank for local drag racing rules.

I have seen cars with gas tanks behind the rear axle.. dont remember which off hand but pretty sure they are out there. Not trying to generate hate mail, just remember seeing some after I started my tank swap.. Seems to me like some of the older mustangs had em'.. ??
eric
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #44
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

My opinion here....

Depending on your model of truck you have between 6-9ft of steel behind the tank, about 5-6 ft in front, about a ft on the sides, and what over a ft on the bottom and a few ft on top. As far as impact protection.....that tank is safe, and if you are hit hard enough on the side to rupture the tank, are you going to be alive anyway? The only safety concern is if the tank is leaking, which in that case fix it before you drive it...a leaking tank anywhere on a vehicle is a saftey concern!

Now I plan on moving my tank to the rear and protecting it with a crossmember and hidden hitch. The ONLY reason I am doing this is to gain the few inches behind the seat. For one I'm 6ft and would like the extra few inches and 2 I am a car audio enthusiast and would like the room for my audio equipment. If I was doing just a regular restoration I would have no problem with the tank in the cab.

Again just my opinion.

Mike
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold

Last edited by 68haywagon; 10-05-2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling is the devil - DOH
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #45
68LSS1

I think I'm among the majority that would agree that the tank will be prettysafe in either location although each location does have pro and cons. The important thing to remember is what was stated earlier, that the vapors or lost fuel in the event of a rupture is where the problems could arise from. Having said that, I would strongly recommend any one running a electric fuel pump to install a impact switch. In the event of a accident were the fuel pump stays live there could be a possibility of ruptured lines so you understand what I'm getting at here. Which leads to another point that hasn't been touched upon, the line routing. Protect the tank reasonably, install impact switch with electric pumps, and watch the feed (and return line if applicable) routing.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #46
llegos

if i ever change my tank(again), it will most likely be a fuel cell in the front of the bed....
Old 10-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #47
kwmech

what happens in my case where I kept the cab tank and put an auxillary tank down in the frame? Do I blow up twice?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #48
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech
what happens in my case where I kept the cab tank and put an auxillary tank down in the frame? Do I blow up twice?
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #49
truckster

I've got twin auxiliary saddle tanks. My main reason for wanting to put in the rear tank is weight distribution and room in the cab. In the meantime, I'll watch out for little old ladies launching out of side streets.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #50
Bubba4spd

I'd like to thank everyone who responded.....I know I learned a lot and from the numbers, it seems many others may have as well. Hated to hear about people getting hate mail over expressing their own views in an open forum where such valuable knowledge is so readily avaliable at a minimum of cost.
Possibly this issue needs to be addressed and dealt with as well.
Bubba4spd is offline   Reply With Quote