The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Bubba4spd

Safety wise, which is better?

The question is whether it's safer to leave the gas in it's original location inside the cab or to relocate it between the frame rails behind the rear axle?
Bubba4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
bejay

relocating the gas tank would be the safest while both could catch on fire in a accident a gas tank in the cab doesnt give its occupants much of a chance.
bejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
ACES
Life is a gamble

I think its safer in the cab, because its harder for the gas tank to be damaged there. If its put in the rear of the truck behind the axel, There is a pretty good chance of it being hit if you are rearended. Either way, if it blows up, you can kiss your butt goodbye.

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

If inside the cab is safer, then why do most of the cars and trucks have the gas tank in the rear behind the axle?

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

I believe it is safe in the cab. GM only moved it to the frame to accomodate the crew cab anyway.

I moved mine for more legroom and to lose the ugly fill tube sticking out the side

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If the gas tank gets a small leak, which they are prone to do, where would you rather it be? Have you ever heard of anyone being overcome by gas fumes when the tank is mounted outside? I'm pretty sure it's safer outside the cab, but that's just my opinion. Oh yeah, and GM engineers opinion since 1972.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
cdowns

if you're worried about a gastank explosion get a bicycle
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86swb
If inside the cab is safer, then why do most of the cars and trucks have the gas tank in the rear behind the axle?
Cars have it by nature of design, it would be difficult to design rear seat legroom around a gas tank.

Modern trucks have them inside the frame rails ahead of the rear axle, or at least GM does.

Regarding the relocation of the tank in 73, many may recall the side-impact tank rupturing issues GM had aftet that design change, so much for engineering for safety . The "real" boardroom engineering decision was to accomodate crew cab and extended cab designs.

As for behind the axle between the rails, insurance data shows most accidents are front or rear impact, not side impact. I think the Ford Pinto (and others) are shining examples of why that location, without the proper safety engineering, is a bad idea. So how many of you relocated your tank to that position and engineered for rear impact rupture prevention?

Many valid reasons to relocate your tank, safety is not one of them IMO. You are increasing your safety risk by doing so. A propertly maintained tank and sender, and fuel lines will not leak or emit fumes.

Personally do what you want, but if safety is your primary concern, relocate the tank as in modern pickups, upgrade to 4 wheel disk ABS, add air bags and 3 point restraints. After all that, that new 2006 model makes sense, go get one.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE
Cars have it by nature of design, it would be difficult to design rear seat legroom around a gas tank.

OK, guess I should not have included cars. I had a Senior moment OK?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

When was the last time you heard of someone in one of our trucks dying from any kind of explosion? I've never heard of one. Actually, almost never hear of any vehicular fires at all. I'm relocating my tank for a couple reasons: I want more room behind the seat for speakers/storage; eliminate "fuel smell"; my tank is rusty on the inside and needs to be replaced anyway; eliminate the filler neck sticking out of the cab; and finally it gives me something to do Just think of how far in the tank is from the outside edge of the cab. That would have to be one hell of an impact to affect the tank. The only real concern to me would be in roll-over event and the truck remained upside down or on the driver's side and fuel spilled out. To each his own. No vehicle is safe. If your in an impact hard enough to cause any kind of explosion, chances are you wouldn't have made it through anyway without the explosion.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-04-2005 at 10:17 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
truckster

The Pinto was notoriously bad in rear-end collisions, but the Suburban isn't known for bursting into flames. It's all about engineering. Gas is unlikely to explode in an accident; the greater risk is of gas being spread by a collision and igniting. The rear tank mount in our trucks puts the tank several feet behind the passenger compartment, and that leaves a considerable safety buffer.

I've had a gas tank leak in my cab, and it wasn't very fun to drive my truck until I got it fixed. I plan to move my tank to the rear when I can get it done.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Have you ever heard of anyone moving their gas tank INTO the cab? Do racing sanctioning organizations permit fuel lines or tanks in the driver compartment? Wnen you move the tank, use good engineering design for safety. Build a sturdy frame structure around the tank and strap the tank into the frame. Those aftermarket tanks that have integral flanges that bolt to the frame are scary. Just my opinion

GM moved the tank to the cab from under the bed in the late 40's. Does anyone know what was their reasoning at that time?

Mar-Ktech
Old 10-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #13
cableguy0

theres always an extreme case in any situation. my truck too a 50 mph impact from another truck dead on the side right where that tank is. and hey im still here. in fact that tank is in the cab i replaced the wrecked one with. this was a hard enough hit that is wrinkled the back wall and folded the dash in the center. thanks to these truck having real steel my buddy and i both walked away with nothing more than a few scratches from flying glass.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #14
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I agree with CPNE.

There are many valid reasons to move the tank, room in the cab being the biggest one, but safety isn't really much of an issue. If safety is your biggest concern you probably want to run a fuel cell in the front of the bed.

I plan to ditch the in-cab tank for a under-bed tank or cell in the future, but a sleek look, greater fuel capacity and cab space are my goals.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
Jakes-66-K10

If you're involved in an accident, your gas tank is not going to "explode" like everyone thinks it will. We're not talking black powder here, gas in it's liquid form does not just "blow up". If you're worried about safety, make sure your tank is always full.

When gas does explode, it's always in vapor form. Ask me how I know... I got in lots of trouble as a kid.
Jakes-66-K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #16
cableguy0

yup vortex added a really good point. gasoline isnt that terribly volatile in liquid form. the vapor causes the explosion the rest of the fuel just burns. a full tank is always safer. wanna scare your friends. throw a lit cigarette into a bucket of gas and watch it get put out
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #17
junkyardjohn

(QUOTE BY CPNE) Personally do what you want, but if safety is your primary concern, relocate the tank as in modern pickups, upgrade to 4 wheel disk ABS, add air bags and 3 point restraints. After all that, that new 2006 model makes sense, go get one. (QUOTE)
IT SEEMS LIKE THIS DEBATE HAS COME UP ABOUT EVERY 90 OR 120 DAYS SINCE.... WELL FOREVER. DO WHATEVER YOUR COMMON SENCE TELLS YOU IS RIGHT. I PERSONALLY DON'T GIVE A RATS PATUTE IF YOU GO WITH ANY SAFTY UPGRADES AT ALL. MY PROJECT HAS FOUR WHEEL DISCS, 3 POINT RESTRAINT BELT SYSTEM, AND A RELOCATED FUEL TANK. TO SAY I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A 2006 MODEL IS ABOUT THE SILLIEST THING I;VE EVER HEARD OF. THANKS FOR THE LAUGH THIS MORNING JEFF, BUT BE CAREFUL WITH SAFTY ISSUES. SOMEONE THAT DOESN'T KNOW ANY BETTER MIGHT MISTAKE YOUR OPINION FOR FACT, & BE KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT, ALL THE WHILE THINKING YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
(QUOTE BY CPNE) Personally do what you want, but if safety is your primary concern, relocate the tank as in modern pickups, upgrade to 4 wheel disk ABS, add air bags and 3 point restraints. After all that, that new 2006 model makes sense, go get one. (QUOTE)
IT SEEMS LIKE THIS DEBATE HAS COME UP ABOUT EVERY 90 OR 120 DAYS SINCE.... WELL FOREVER. DO WHATEVER YOUR COMMON SENCE TELLS YOU IS RIGHT. I PERSONALLY DON'T GIVE A RATS PATUTE IF YOU GO WITH ANY SAFTY UPGRADES AT ALL. MY PROJECT HAS FOUR WHEEL DISCS, 3 POINT RESTRAINT BELT SYSTEM, AND A RELOCATED FUEL TANK. TO SAY I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A 2006 MODEL IS ABOUT THE SILLIEST THING I;VE EVER HEARD OF. THANKS FOR THE LAUGH THIS MORNING JEFF, BUT BE CAREFUL WITH SAFTY ISSUES. SOMEONE THAT DOESN'T KNOW ANY BETTER MIGHT MISTAKE YOUR OPINION FOR FACT, & BE KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT, ALL THE WHILE THINKING YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. JOHN
Rats! My master plan has been exposed. Disinform and systematically kill off all 67-72 truck owners so I can be King Of The World! Plus no one can hang it on me because of the insideous use of the IMO disclaimer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE
Many valid reasons to relocate your tank, safety is not one of them IMO
The only fact I quoted is you are more likely to be involved in a rear end colision than a side impact colision. Insurance data proves this out. Knowing statistically that I'm more likely to be serve "rump roast" over "T-Bone" is the basis of my argument, there are always exceptions

Hey is it my fault if someone can't distinguish fact from opinion? Maybe Darwin was right

The guy asked which was safer, both have their pros and cons, the best solution is drive defensively knowing your trucks limitations.

JYJ, you are correct, we've sparred over this before

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all

Last edited by CPNE; 10-04-2005 at 12:34 PM.
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #19
Skruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
When was the last time you heard of someone in one of our trucks dying from any kind of explosion? I've never heard of one. Actually, almost never hear of any vehicular fires at all. I'm relocating my tank for a couple reasons: I want more room behind the seat for speakers/storage; eliminate "fuel smell"; my tank is rusty on the inside and needs to be replaced anyway; eliminate the filler neck sticking out of the cab; and finally it gives me something to do Just think of how far in the tank is from the outside edge of the cab. That would have to be one hell of an impact to affect the tank. The only real concern to me would be in roll-over event and the truck remained upside down or on the driver's side and fuel spilled out. To each his own. No vehicle is safe. If your in an impact hard enough to cause any kind of explosion, chances are you wouldn't have made it through anyway without the explosion.
I'm with you 100%, and don't think the tank in the cab is inherently unsafe. BUT, when my truck caught fire under the hood and I saw flames coming in under the dash, that was the FIRST thing that came to my mind as I was preparing for a hasty exit.
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #20
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy
I'm with you 100%, and don't think the tank in the cab is inherently unsafe. BUT, when my truck caught fire under the hood and I saw flames coming in under the dash, that was the FIRST thing that came to my mind as I was preparing for a hasty exit.

Good point. Sometimes you can smell the flumes.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If your tank leaks....don't drive it. If the tank is inside or outside the cab, period. No inspection of any kind would pass a vehicle with a fuel leak, that's it, case closed, end of story.

There are NO modern cars that i am aware of with the fuel tank behind the rear axle. The kids sit on top of it in the rear seat.

Relocate your tank...you are leaving yourself open to lawsuit...esp if you place it where everyone ends up putting it. Hell, just 5 years ago, GM was sued for the 78 - 84 Malibu/cutlas/regal....fuel tanks exploding. They settled REAL quick and swept it under the rug. Not long before that, Ford was being sued for there rear tank in first generation mustangs. (!!!!) Again, settled and swept under the rug.

Modern pick ups with single tanks are generally mounted inside the framerail, in front of the rear axle. I am unsure of Aux tanks in new trucks, I do know as of 10 years ago, ford was still putting them out back...but only the Aux tanks.

There is a member on ehre who will use his terrible accident as proof as to why it should be moved, and while it is scarry... it also falls under the extreme of extreme ... the cab was ripped off his 67 - 72 F-100 and tossed into a ditch...with him still in it. Ha said all he could think about was the fuel in his cab leaking out. In an accident of that magnitude, it don't really matter. there is no safe place for 20 gallons of fuel in a 50 MPH side impact IMO.
Here is the thread when it came up last time....and IIRC, there are some good hard facts and links in there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=152289
IMO, and I WILL get flamed for it, if your tank isn't leaking, then it is safe in the cab.
It'll take one hell of an impact to damage that thing.

Also, any hate mail or IM from this discussion will be ignored and sender will be on my ignore list.... sick of the hate mail from these discussions.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-04-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #22
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Why would any one send you any hate mail? You are just stating your openion and to be honest. I never really knew where would be the most safe place for the gas tank. Yes, I remember the Pinto law suit with the gas tank in the rear that blew up and killed some people. I also heard where a guy with a truck like my '86 with the tanks on the sides, had a side impact and he was trapped and the tank blew up and there was a law suit over that. I have seen where some guys put their tank in the rear and braced up real good behind the tank just for this reason. Anyway, glad you never hear of these blowing up like you did at one time. But I think most of the guys who move the tank out back just want to get it out of the cab. Maby for different reasons. On my '72 I had I never did smell any gas ever right after I filled up. Now my Suburban of corse has the tank out back behind the axle. These are just my openions.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Mudder

I remember seeing a TV episode (maybe 60 minutes or something like that) back in the realy 70's about roll over crashes of these truck and the gas cap being taken off letting gas out. Anyone remember this?
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

86swb...EVERY TIME I go against the popular opinion...I end up with hate mail from some one....normally free accounts and probably made JUST for that reason...never responces when I tried, so now they get the spam filter thrown at them.

VERY annoying.

Other opinions (many based on facts) that fill my e-mail...
I say no do disc brakes on the rear.... money wasted
I say no to 99% of the 3 point seat belt instalations
I say no to rear mounted tanks

A fem more...just none coming to mind.

It is really stupid and childish huh?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Liability?

I had a rear tank made for my pickup. In doing so I have modified the original design of the truck. Since I have a lowered truck with a roll pan, I welded in a 4" C channel to protect the tank in the case of a rear impact. If there ever is a colision and fire, I may be in trouble for changing the design but I have been diligent in protecting the tank with frame metal from impacts from all sides. A tank behind the seat does not offer much protection from side impacts.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote