The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
84 PUMPKIN

Re: Boyd Coddington wheels bought out by American Racing

[QUOTE=70rs/ss]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 PUMPKIN
Saying Foose learned the trade from Boyd Coddington is ridiculous. Chip's body of work before he landed at Boyd's speaks for itself. I've known Chip and Sam (his dad) for 30 years and both of them are really good guys.

So then the time he spent with Boyd was for nothing? He must have learned something because until his time with Boyd was he as well known? I don't know any of them that well or personally, just that guys here are quick to jump in a bashing thread before they meet, or get to know beyond a hello at some show. Foose is good, but he had to have learned something, even if it was how not to do things.
His time with Boyd showed him one thing for sure. How to go bankrupt.

Well known? I think you're confusing fame/notoriety with talent. Go back and click the link in my first response or google Chip Foose and read for yourself.

I know them both on a professional level and that's what I based my comments on. I agree that some folks jump on the "hater" bandwagon without knowing what they're talking about. I'm not one of those folks.

Foose is VERY good and he probably did learn something at Boyd's. I'd hope after 3 years part time and 5 years full time he learned something of value.
84 PUMPKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #27
70rs/ss

I read the link, and he accomplished many things prior to Boyd, and in the 8 years with him. So I guess saying Boyd was a Mentor of sorts wasn't way out of line? I said learned the trade, and I guess it depends on your point of view, he had been a designer/ many other things, but he truely began to marry concept/art and doing it with Boyd as evident in his list of many cool rods built while at Boyds. Did Boyd build him, no he is a very talented guy, more I think boyd gave him the chance to do, and boy did he. Do I like everything Foose does, no but do I need to knock him, absolutley not?! I haven't met him, but he seems personable. I'd like to meet him or boyd in the professional relm, I'd love to learn the design aspect as well as the metal work (which Jesse James credits Boyd for teaching him). Tell Foose I'd like to meet him, I'll go to Cali for the chance!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 01-20-2006 at 04:08 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #28
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle71
Hijacked thread?? Wasn't this about brand wheels, rather than the person?

Well, actually it started as a thread about the wheels, than became a bashing. I simply put down my thoughts about bashing and offered my thoughts. As for the responses after, this is what a public forum is about. I'd buy the wheels if the come into my price range. I'd rather the be Boydz (because I want to show off my money) but an american racing version of a boyd wheel would be cool. Consider the thread un hijacked and back on track!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote