The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
chevybill

Boyd Coddington wheels bought out by American Racing

If you go to www.americanracing.com and look at the news section you can read the story. I wonder if his wheel company was in trouble or just more money in his deep pockets?

I thought this might be interesting.

Last edited by chevybill; 01-18-2006 at 04:55 PM.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Deuce

Re: Boyd Coddington wheels bought out by American Racing

I wouldn't want to work for the guy. Very un-realistic planning from what it shows on TV.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Does this mean the wheels will be cheaper, I might be interested
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I wouldn't want to work for the guy. Very un-realistic planning from what it shows on TV.
Deuce That is so true!!
AesC10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Maybe he's looking to retire soon? He ain't a youngin anymore.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Well, at least they got bought by a decent company who will probably keep the quality control standards high.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
70GMCer

did "American Hot Rod" get cancelled on TV? I haven't seen it listed in a long time. The last shows I saw, is where he was loosing more of his employees to Chip Foose.......

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer
did "American Hot Rod" get cancelled on TV? I haven't seen it listed in a long time. The last shows I saw, is where he was loosing more of his employees to Chip Foose.......
chip foose is awsome........ boyd is a jerk (meet in person in rockwall, tx)
boyd went bankrupt mid 2005. give it another year and his whole operation will be gone. IMO
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquivarious

Cheap.... Boyd.... rims..... *Drools uncontrollably*

Currently Serving In IRAQ. (Man it sucks over here..)
Aquivarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
chevyboy55

He used to build some very innovative stuff (cadzillia,cheezoom,etc.)
But it seems like all he has put out in years is cookie cutter rods.(just my worthless opinion) By watching that show he did, the guy seems like a real A**hole to work for.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

HE was still around? I haven't heard anything about him since the 90's. Even then I didn't care for his stuff too much... I mean, he has tallent, but in my worthles opinion (I like that one there chevyboy!) he had no taste.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
matthufham

the only good cars from what american hot rod showed were the mad max hemi, and the twin turbo stingray. every time they had a set deadline they always sent it to gabe's upholstery shop on the last day and still hadn't fired the engine. he pushes people too hard, and his deadlines became overhauling style with a tiny crew because everybody got fired. mike, bluebear, tig?, the painter.. the guy with the accent, al, who's left that i still know from the beginning? they may have been fired by now aswell. i don't know why anybody would want to start a conversation with boyd. when you're gone he talks crap about you or acts totally different as the cameras proved.

the wheels usually look pretty damn good though and i hope american racing continues his style somehow. if that means cheap 20's i'm in for that, just head to my local discount tire.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #13
mac

After watching that band of bozo's build cars, I wouldn't be caught dead with Coddington parts on anything I own !
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

At least the when my shuff doesn't work out, I can always look back and see I'm not a mechanic. The guys on that show look like a bunch of monkeys f**king a football. People claim its staged, but why would you script the show to look like an A**hole? I think his stuff is crap and hope he does go out of business. It is sometimes nice to see the mighty fall.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

I am not trying to bash the man, but I remember when I thought Boyd Coddington was cool. I had plans to but a set of his wheels on my truck. I had priced them just before American Hot Rod debuted. Just after the second episode aired, I called back to place my order and the price all of a sudden almost doubled. I have to agree with you guys. The mans work ethics and expectations are unrealistic. The man seems offended when a fellow does not want to work on his off days after working long hours of overtime. I do not understand.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
bskylerj
Account Suspended

Maybe now the quality control will be better. I tried getting to sets from a local dealer and both times they had bad marks in the wheels. I had some friends that met Boyd last year at the Barrett Jackson Auction when there car sold for more than Boyds. He was pissed off and a A hole to them.
bskylerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 AM   #17
muddpile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step
chip foose is awsome........ boyd is a jerk (meet in person in rockwall, tx)
boyd went bankrupt mid 2005. give it another year and his whole operation will be gone. IMO
He went bankrupt again??? I know he did a few years back when Foose bought out all his shares and renamed "Hotrods by Boyd" to "Foose Designs", but I never knew he did again.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
ScienceGuy

I guess Boyd sold his wheel company and name "Boyd" in the late 90's and came back later with B.Codington. What will he call the next wheels he comes out with "B.C."? I watched the show, but it was too much drama for me. I just liked watching the cars come together. These days it's all about overhaulin and American muscle car.
ScienceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #19
paintpyro

Boyd went bankrupt in the mid 90's. Chip was appointed acting President by the shareholders. As far as Chip buying all the shares, that didn't happen. The shares were no longer able to be traded when the went below about 2 bucks a share. When they closed the doors, Chip had to start from scratch. He had the reputation, but no cash. Everybody who was owed money by Boyds lost out. The 'Boyds' name was sold off to pay off some of the debt, hence the 'Boyd Coddington' wheels.

As far as the new bankruptcy goes, I haven't heard anything.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #20
70rs/ss

I met boyd this past summer and he was great. I disagree, @$$holes sell on TV just look at OCC. The more they yell at each other, the more people tune in. The man is the the inovator, period. Foose, Jesse James, and a long list of others learned the trade from Boyd, so lets not spite him. I would not want to work under the "pressure TV or not", but that is the business. Building cars is not easy nor is it very profiable, that is why there are boyd wheels, Foose wheels, etc. I have enjoyed every car I saw built (I saw pretty much all of them until recently) and I wouldn't push them out of my garage. I guess everyone will formulate their own opinions, but at least meet the guy and talk to him before calling him an @$$. I tried to meet Jesse James, now that guy is very unapproachable, but I do not know him personally, so I cannot post a comment about him. As for Boyd I have a business card that he gave me with his cell number on it and he has emailed me a couple times since I met him at a small car show in AZ (no I didn't spend any money on a car of his or wheels, so he isn't in debt to me, he just genuinely talked to me) I posted picts of him and I as well as some of his cars. I just hate how people on this board are so quick to jump on the hater band wagon. Just think how many thousands of people approach these guys and want to talk, hang out, etc and after a while you might get tired of it as well and not to mention that you'd never get anything done. Now how would you react/act if hundreds of strangers approached you on a regular basis and talked to you like they know you?! Anyways here is a pict of me the regular guy (even in my dirty mechanic clothes, greese oil and all) talking to Boyd. Enjoy and walk a mile in his shoes before you pass judgement.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 10-05-2007 at 02:47 AM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 AM   #21
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

70rs/ss...Spoken like a real gentleman. I don't like the TV haggling on the show, but I sure like a lot of the cars in his shop. Just look at all the machines in the background behind the high pressure projects.
He is a good old American hot rodder!...and that's a good thing.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 AM   #22
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

I just wish they would show more of the red 67-72 short fleet that is in his Hot Rod showroom. The only thing I have ever seen of it is the front as they pan across the showroom.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #23
Sonny's at Work

They were working on that truck in the first and second season. So they finished it?
Sonny's at Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
84 PUMPKIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I met boyd this past summer and he was great. I disagree, @$$holes sell on TV just look at OCC. The more they yell at each other, the more people tune in. The man is the the inovator, period. Foose, Jesse James, and a long list of others learned the trade from Boyd, so lets not spite him. I would not want to work under the "pressure TV or not", but that is the business. Building cars is not easy nor is it very profiable, that is why there are boyd wheels, Foose wheels, etc. I have enjoyed every car I saw built (I saw pretty much all of them until recently) and I wouldn't push them out of my garage. I guess everyone will formulate their own opinions, but at least meet the guy and talk to him before calling him an @$$. I tried to meet Jesse James, now that guy is very unapproachable, but I do not know him personally, so I cannot post a comment about him. As for Boyd I have a business card that he gave me with his cell number on it and he has emailed me a couple times since I met him at a small car show in AZ (no I didn't spend any money on a car of his or wheels, so he isn't in debt to me, he just genuinely talked to me) I posted picts of him and I as well as some of his cars. I just hate how people on this board are so quick to jump on the hater band wagon. Just think how many thousands of people approach these guys and want to talk, hang out, etc and after a while you might get tired of it as well and not to mention that you'd never get anything done. Now how would you react/act if hundreds of strangers approached you on a regular basis and talked to you like they know you?! Anyways here is a pict of me the regular guy (even in my dirty mechanic clothes, greese oil and all) talking to Boyd. Enjoy and walk a mile in his shoes before you pass judgement.
Saying Foose learned the trade from Boyd Coddington is ridiculous. Chip's body of work before he landed at Boyd's speaks for itself. I've known Chip and Sam (his dad) for 30 years and both of them are really good guys.

http://www.chipfoose.com/profile.Aspx?LinkID+tn6

I've met Boyd several times and he was an ***hole each time. Having said that, If I had to work with his ex-wife, his current wife, and his employees I'd be an ***hole too. No, I'd probably be an axe murderer.

Last edited by 84 PUMPKIN; 01-20-2006 at 02:07 PM.
84 PUMPKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
70rs/ss

[QUOTE=84 PUMPKIN]Saying Foose learned the trade from Boyd Coddington is ridiculous. Chip's body of work before he landed at Boyd's speaks for itself. I've known Chip and Sam (his dad) for 30 years and both of them are really good guys.

So then the time he spent with Boyd was for nothing? He must have learned something because until his time with Boyd was he as well known? I don't know any of them that well or personally, just that guys here are quick to jump in a bashing thread before they meet, or get to know beyond a hello at some show. Foose is good, but he had to have learned something, even if it was how not to do things.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote