The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #26
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: What did you get done this weekend?

I've been hiding out of pocket for the past few days and man am I'm glad to be back online. We got through moving most every thing from the old house to the new house but DSL is still not working and dial up is sooo slooow But I'm able to get on here and update ya'll on the blazer.

I took the rear d/s to the drive place up here to get a u-joint put on. The other one had the caps missing and looked worn out. I went it and the guy looked at it and said it was a conversion style. I didn't know what he meant but showed me the difference. One set of ears for the axle were larger than the other. I didn't know but ended up costing a few bucks more to get the right u-joint. So he installed it and I went to the house. I still had some straps and bolts from the rear axle swap on the truck. Aligned the d/s on the NP203 and placed the rear u-joint in the yoke. Or so I attempted I found out that the yoke was too small and the bolt holes on the yoke were stripped. Well I called around to the junkyards and no luck and the auto parts places were no help either. I called the 4x4 place here in town and took the u-joint to him to see if he had a conversion yoke. He could get one to me in a couple days with a strap kit. Then he hit me with the price $165 for the whole kit I asked him about a plain jane yoke for a standard 12 bolt and the price was about the same but I would have ended up getting another u-joint. So I decided to go ahead and order it to get the blazer driveable.

The guy called me Tues. and I picked it up. This thing is top of the line forged and all Spicer stuff. This is one bad yoke. It has the straps that actually bolt in the back rather than just threaded like most. So I take it to the house and yesterday with alot of Liquid Wrench, and a timing gear puller (yeah it actually worked ) I got the old yoke off. I installed the new one and hooked up the d/s. I hopped it fired it up and of course the carb was giving me fits. I'm going to have to replace the Q-jet later on. With some coaxing I was able to get the truck running better with not having a tune up on it yet. I back it out and took it for a test drive around the block to see if it was road worthy enough for the trip down the highway.

It drove with decent response and the brakes worked but need to be bled better than the PO had done after installing new hoses on the front. I drove back to the house and was ready to head to the new house. Jody followed me with her car. I had tags and insurance but the inspection sticker has been out since 12/00 So we headed out and all the dust was flying around in the truck. No carpet and a former mud truck doesn't work well together. Stupid me took the bumpiest road and with no shocks on the truck it was a bumpy ride. I felt like I was on a bucking bronco. We drove on the highway and cruised fine. Not sure how fast I was going since the speedo was not hooked up but kept up with the rest of traffic. Oil pressure, water temp. and volt. were all good the 20 minute trip. I was happy just cruising along. One thing that made it worse was the only mirror I had was the passenger side and it was cracked and not positioned well. But it made it here in one piece, even with bailing wired up exhaust.

Time to hit the junkayrds up here for some mirrors and a spare tire rim for the blazer. Still haven't figured out what to name it but soon enought it will get one. I'm just happy that I have it driveable even if it is illegal

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #27
pugs

Went parts shopping at local yards yesterday and hit a local swapmeet today. Also put my 76 out to pasture, to rusted to pass inspection. I will miss her tho
Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #28
benoit454
Chris

I managed to take the 86 k10 from this,

to this...

and this..

Scored a free 350, tons of parts, and borrowed the guys cherry pciker on friday. Then cleaned up, and painted the 350, and put some parts on to ensure the bolt holes were ok.

Also the picture of the motor out was after degreasing and scrubbing the underhood area, frame rails and everything else.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote