The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #26
weav1

Re: Sand Blaster

I Bought 80 Grit Glass Bead Today Seems To Be Better The Box From Harbor Freight Said #8 And Seems To Be Finer Grain The 80 Grit Cut The Time In Half Thanks Guys
weav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #27
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

I have a DAYTON blast cabinet and I use glass only. Why glass because it is a much cleaner medium then sand products.

Always use a respirator and my advice stay away from cabinets you can bolt together. These leak fine dust and can give you lung problems such as cancer.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 06-16-2007 at 01:57 AM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 AM   #28
AuggieStyle

I use Aluminum Oxide and black beauty mixed and it last forever and leaves me a smooth surface. thanks for the link to tp i am gonna buy that upgrade kit.
and yes silica will kill you!
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #29
jorgensensc

Can someone explain which type of media is used for what purpose. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight media blasting gun for 9.99 and would like to test it out. My compressor is def. up to the task. For instance I have a fender I would like to blast, but I also have pulleys and other stuff. I worry about warping the fender. Thanks!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #30
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
... my advice stay away from cabinets you can bolt together. These leak fine dust and can give you lung problems such as cancer.

esll.
Nothing a $3.00 tube of clear silicone won't fix. You guys worry too much.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #31
Warren

60 Grit aluminum oxide gets my vote. Number one it has jagged edges and does not break down like other materials.

Silica sand is crap, dangeroius but try aluminum oxide then switch to silica and you will understand where that phrase came from pissing in the wind.

It is like thousands of little tiny tennis balls bouncing off instead of biting in. The top restorer I know of used Silica, never tried aluminum but he ran it at 200 psi. Then the sand got thrown out after each car cause it might have pollution in it, oil on the frames etc. Silica ended and he is onto other material now, it ended cause GUB said it ended.

I get the best cut from aluminum oxide but I also have a cabinet iwth a woodwoking dust collector on it, for one it is quiet second it can suck small children off the street, (no I'm not an ogre) I have a blast gate and cut it down to 20 percent power otherwise it would be taking grit I can use. The best blasters take the sand away seperate it and put it back. 3k for that attachment so will keep it simple for now.

Glass bead gives a nicer prettier finish for sure but if I am doing spindles or things that are painted I want a material that gets the job done fast and clean and leaves good tooth. I do love the polished look from glass bead.

Never pick your parts up with your hands after theya re done. Clean paper towel so you dont leave oil, get your primer on fast. In the old days I used the Rm metal prep first but have not in a long time, never was able to make a judgment on it either way.

Aluminim oxide will break down slow, tow bags of sand in and had two years of blasting. Fan is powerful so stuff does not get out the cracks instead it pulls air through the cracks. I turn the light out in the room makes it easier to see. Have a roll of clear window protector just open the window and pull it accross.

Still not a bad idea to wear a mask when doing it that way we can be around as long as our trucks.

I use fine (56-60)) grit that way you are left with a smooth surface ready for epoxy primer. It doesnt dent the surface and with a pressure blaster you can blast qat 20-40 PSI and get great results. I have blasted as low as 5 PSI and it still works with that grit. on my door I used that foam weatherstrip that compresses, home depot has it in different thicknesses and it has worked well.

I also hoooked up an air blower inside on a piece of 1.4 hose, that way the part and the inside of the door can be blown off before you open it so less sand falls out when parts are removed.

Warren

As for that nasty cancer stuff, too many I know right now who have lived perfect clean lives have it, they need to get that figured out.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #32
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Hi Warren .... good post with lots of good info. You should post a picture of your blast cabinet as I think allot of guys could benifet from your ideas here,

esll.

Been really busy, I'll try to blast a line off soon.

Take care ,,,,

john.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #33
Ricks1971

I'm using a metal oxide that I got at harbor freight. I tried the glass beads but I think the metal oxide works abit better.
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote