The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #26
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Will a chevelle spindle work?

you also want to be very careful when re-drilling a load bearing component that is made out of cast iron ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #27
SCOTI

I agree w/Shane so I found a source for billet hubs that utilize the same inner/outer bearings. The main item I'm still digging for info on is the possibility of spindle variations.

I'm prob just being overly cautious since we all know Baer modifies truck spindles to work w/C5 stuff.

Jkade..... You're on the money w/re-drilling the bolt pattern on C5 rotors. What have you found on the cost of the rotors & the cost of machining?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-09-2007 at 11:55 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I agree w/Shane so I found a source for billet hubs that utilize the same inner/outer bearings. The main item I'm still digging for info on is the possibility of spindle variations.

I'm prob just being overly cautious since we all know Baer modifies truck spindles to work w/C5 stuff.

Jkade..... You're on the money w/re-drilling the bolt pattern on C5 rotors. What have you found on the cost of the rotors & the cost of machining?
If you go with a zinc plating and send them to moser you are going to have around $300 in them. Maybe I can find someone local to do it but moser charges $60 for redrilling both. The rotors are going to be around $200 to $250 if you go zinc plated.

Last edited by jkade; 06-09-2007 at 03:18 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
If you go with a zinc plating and send them to moser you are going to have around $300 in them. Maybe I can find someone local to do it but moser charges $60 for redrilling both. The rotors are going to be around $200 to $250 if you go zinc plated.
The source I found was $52ea for plain, un-coated, C5/C6 (325mm x 32mm) front rotors w/a 5x5 pattern & a 3.063" big-bore center hole.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #30
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The source I found was $52ea for plain, un-coated, C5/C6 (325mm x 32mm) front rotors w/a 5x5 pattern & a 3.063" big-bore center hole.
Daum that is a deal, "you have been doing your homework". Maybe if we put our head together we could make something work.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #31
BarryB

Hey guys if there is a market for this rotors. I have the ability to drill these rotors. You send me your rotors ill drill them and send them back. I'll have to do one and come up with a price.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #32
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Hey guys if there is a market for this rotors. I have the ability to drill these rotors. You send me your rotors ill drill them and send them back. I'll have to do one and come up with a price.
I will keep you in mind for sure. Hopefully someone can come up with a cheaper kit for all of us. I think I could do the spindle work and make a bracket for the c5 caliper but maybe someone will find a hub.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #33
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I will keep you in mind for sure. Hopefully someone can come up with a cheaper kit for all of us. I think I could do the spindle work and make a bracket for the c5 caliper but maybe someone will find a hub.
If I knew there could be a calling for these rotors. I could buy they rotors myself and then sell them to the guys. I am definatelly interested in doing something of this nature on my truck. 500 hp on pump gas. I need some good WHOA!!!! power.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #34
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

have any of you thought of just changing the bearings in the rotor (to make it fit our spindles)? This was something I thought of but haven't had time to research. i would think finding a race that matches the rotor and a bearing with the inner diamater that matches our spindle, should be easier to do than change or machine spindles.

just a thought...

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs71 View Post
have any of you thought of just changing the bearings in the rotor (to make it fit our spindles)? This was something I thought of but haven't had time to research. i would think finding a race that matches the rotor and a bearing with the inner diamater that matches our spindle, should be easier to do than change or machine spindles.

just a thought...
You also have to consider the spacing of the bearings on the spindle shaft.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
itsmike2k

Plus no matter what to put larger rotos the spindel has to have some work done, like the caliper ears.. So have you put the hubs you were talking about and the c5 rotos on a 71-72 spindel yet?
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...50#post2151750
itsmike2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #37
itsmike2k

I was just looking and 69-77 chevelles use the same brake pads as our p/u's so that would mean they use the same caliper right? So the rotors should be close if not the same right? Seems like you could take a chevelle 13" rotor and make that work.. Actually alot of cars use the d052 brake pads especially the big cars and limos.. Just a thought
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmike2k View Post
I was just looking and 69-77 chevelles use the same brake pads as our p/u's so that would mean they use the same caliper right? So the rotors should be close if not the same right? Seems like you could take a chevelle 13" rotor and make that work.. Actually alot of cars use the d052 brake pads especially the big cars and limos.. Just a thought
Should be the same calipers & pads.

It's the bearing spacing on the spindles shaft I haven't be able to measure. I was going to measure a rotor/spindle for a 94 Impala SS & compare it to one of my 1/2 ton truck disc spindle & parts to see how close..... or far we are from something being interchangeable.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #39
itsmike2k

A 94 ss uses different brake pads.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #40
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmike2k View Post
A 94 ss uses different brake pads.
Then I would measure B-body stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG