The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
jkade

Will a chevelle spindle work?

Can you replace a factory spindle with a chevelle spindle???
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Will a chevelle spindle work?

would probably require some machine work on the ball joint tapers, but I don't see why not
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
would probably require some machine work on the ball joint tapers, but I don't see why not
Maybe someone has done it. I hate to buy spindles and it not work. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
woodridge

What are you trying to accomplish?
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodridge View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
Upgraded brakes, they make a bunch of kits for a chevelle
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
jkade

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=664924263
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
jkade

I am just thinking outside the box on a way to upgrade our brakes without spending 2 grand to do it.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
woodridge

Are you wanting something different than the stock 71-72 disc?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
jkade

Quote:
Are you wanting something different than the stock 71-72 disc?
Correct and I don't want to spend 2 grand doing it. I think there is a lot of use that what larger brakes without spending that much.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
67chevemall

Just get a standard tranny.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
mvfd70

If you need disc brakes just swipe parts off of a 71 or 72. Even the 73 to 87 parts all fit. You'll have to change ball joints to fit the spindle but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one of those kits. Especially if you don't want a drop spindle.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvfd70 View Post
If you need disc brakes just swipe parts off of a 71 or 72. Even the 73 to 87 parts all fit. You'll have to change ball joints to fit the spindle but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one of those kits. Especially if you don't want a drop spindle.

The whole point of this is to UPGRADE to a better braking system. I already have disk brakes but there are serveral of us that want larger brakes than stock. The factory size rotors and calipers look like crap when you have a large diameter wheel like I do and when you go adding 20" wheels and 400 + hp the factory brakes need to be upgraded. I don't want to spend over 2 grand on brakes as a lot of us don't, but if you could use a diffent spindle there are a lot of options, and a lot cheaper than what baer has to offer and are basically the same parts as they sell.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
jkade

I found out that the chevelle spindle is 7" tall from balljoint hole on the bottom to the ball joint top hole surface. How tall is a truck?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
woodridge

I think you are on the right track, just don't know what you'd use. I know the 03 up 2wd Blazer rotors and spindles will work on the 83-88 Monte's so there is probably something out there that would upgrade our trucks as well.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
woodridge

The 70 up Camaro and 73 up Chevelles are 9 3/4", the trucks are a little taller, don't know how much.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
jkade

Quote:
I think you are on the right track, just don't know what you'd use. I know the 03 up 2wd Blazer rotors and spindles will work on the 83-88 Monte's so there is probably something out there that would upgrade our trucks as well.
If I could use 64-72 chevelle spindles, I would buy the spindles and the brake kit from someone like cpp and install it in my truck and have 13" rotors and dual piston calipers. You can buy the chevelle spindles and the brake kit for less than a grand.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
BarryB

The spindle from a 71 disc is 9" from bottom to top. I just went out and measured mine.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 06-08-2007 at 04:38 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #18
jkade

There is a tall chevelle spindle that is 8.25 inches tall also. What would this hurt being shorter?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
There is a tall chevelle spindle that is 8.25 inches tall also. What would this hurt being shorter?
It would have several effects..........assuming that you could even make it fit.
It would reduce the total suspension travel, excessively compress the spring (raising the rate) and who knows what kind of alignment problems.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #20
ratrod67

Can you find an aftermarket rotor that will fit our size bearings and then fab a bracket to mount the caliper? Might be easier that trying to overcome the spindle swap.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67 View Post
Can you find an aftermarket rotor that will fit our size bearings and then fab a bracket to mount the caliper? Might be easier that trying to overcome the spindle swap.
How are the drum brake hubs on 67-70 trucks? Can you seperate the hub from the drum???
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Someone makes a kit to mount stock disc to drum spindles.It is basically a plate that mounts to the original backing plate holes and then mounts a caliper.Maybe something along those lines would work.The problem is that the larger rotors and multi piston calipers aren't cheap so it may be almost as much to do it that way as to swap spindles since spindles are only about $250.00 or so.Add to that the upgrade(you'll need more fluid)to a larger MC and it may be just as much as a truck system.One last thought is that the truck stuff is made to handle the loads and stress of a truck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
SCOTI

Jkade.... I'm researching this as much (or more ) than you man.

From what I've learned, GM made 3 'types' of spindles (more if you count ABS): short, tall, or tall H/D. The main engineering principles behind a spindle are (in my own terminology ) the 'type', which can be viewed as semi-universal; & the application, which is vehicle configuration specific.

I have found no segregation based on car or truck spindle; just tall or short.

This is where I'm stuck & trying to confirm facts. Dont think Chevelle, think cop-car/station wagon. I know the tall/HD spindle (ex: 94 Impala SS or 80 Caprice SW) uses the same wheel bearings as a HD/1.25" rotor equipped 87 Chevy 1/2ton, 2wd truck (both use SET6 inner; SET3 outer bearings). So.... following this logic of thought, they are both tall/HD spindles right? The main difference is the vehicle configuration which is just another way of saying which steering arm location/geometry they would use (ex: b-bodys require steering arm 'B'; a-bodys require steering arm 'A'; 1/2 ton 2wd trucks require steering arm 'C'). Does this make sense?

The mid-70's through late-80's B-body cars w/the tall/HD spindle (and corresponding 12" x 1.25" 5x5 rotor) use the same caliper as a pre-88 1/2 ton Chevy truck...... which means the caliper 'ears' would be the same (which makes better 'manufacturing' sense too).

Since some aftermarket kits (ex:Baer Brakes) utilize an adapter bracket that replaces the original GM cast caliper 'ears' & use a larger than stock rotor w/an upgraded caliper for that rotor, we should be able to adapt the same to our tall/HD truck spindles. My guess is this is what Baer does.

I'm close to the answer I just haven't assembled the pieces yet. To get one-step closer, I'm getting spindles for an Impala to compare to my GM-truck spindles. There is a 'cheaper alternative' for larger than stock (13" vs. 12") 1/2ton truck disc brakes than Baer or SSBC. We will find the answer.

PS: I have more info but don't want to promote anything that has not be 'proven'. Once I do a little more fact finding, I'll share what I have found.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-09-2007 at 04:12 AM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #24
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Jkade.... I'm researching this as much (or more ) than you man.

From what I've learned, GM made 3 'types' of spindles (more if you count ABS): short, tall, or tall H/D. The main engineering principles behind a spindle are (in my own terminology ) the 'type', which can be viewed as semi-universal; & the application, which is vehicle configuration specific.

I have found no segregation based on car or truck spindle; just tall or short.

This is where I'm stuck & trying to confirm facts. Dont think Chevelle, think cop-car/station wagon. I know the tall/HD spindle (ex: 94 Impala SS or 80 Caprice SW) uses the same wheel bearings as a HD/1.25" rotor equipped 87 Chevy 1/2ton, 2wd truck (both use SET6 inner; SET3 outer bearings). So.... following this logic of thought, they are both tall/HD spindles right? The main difference is the vehicle configuration which is just another way of saying which steering arm location/geometry they would use (ex: b-bodys require steering arm 'B'; a-bodys require steering arm 'A'; 1/2 ton 2wd trucks require steering arm 'C'). Does this make sense?

The mid-70's through late-80's B-body cars w/the tall/HD spindle (and corresponding 12" x 1.25" 5x5 rotor) use the same caliper as a pre-88 1/2 ton Chevy truck...... which means the caliper 'ears' would be the same (which makes better 'manufacturing' sense too).

Since some aftermarket kits (ex:Baer Brakes) utilize an adapter bracket that replaces the original GM cast caliper 'ears' & use a larger than stock rotor w/an upgraded caliper for that rotor, we should be able to adapt the same to our tall/HD truck spindles. My guess is this is what Baer does.

I'm close to the answer I just haven't assembled the pieces yet. To get one-step closer, I'm getting spindles for an Impala to compare to my GM-truck spindles. There is a 'cheaper alternative' for larger than stock (13" vs. 12") 1/2ton truck disc brakes than Baer or SSBC. We will find the answer.

PS: I have more info but don't want to promote anything that has not be 'proven'. Once I do a little more fact finding, I'll share what I have found.
I see what you are saying and I was thinking impala ss also. People think that c5 calipers are expensive but if you know where to look you can get them pretty cheap and they are easy to rebuild also, that is if you wanted c5 calipers. Keep digging and keep us up to date, if I could find a hub that would work I would get a old c5 rotor from my buddy and redrill it for 5 0n 5 and cut one of my factory spindles to see if I could mount a c5 caliper since I have one on hand. Thanks for the info Scoti
Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #25
ratrod67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I see what you are saying and I was thinking impala ss also. People think that c5 calipers are expensive but if you know where to look you can get them pretty cheap and they are easy to rebuild also, that is if you wanted c5 calipers. Keep digging and keep us up to date, if I could find a hub that would work I would get a old c5 rotor from my buddy and redrill it for 5 0n 5 and cut one of my factory spindles to see if I could mount a c5 caliper since I have one on hand. Thanks for the info Scoti
What about cutting the braking surface off one of your rotors and using it for a hub? Then find a slip on rotor that you like and build a caliper bracket. Kinda like in this pic.
Attached Images

ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote