The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Edelbrock 1406 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
OOOOoooo don't open that can of worms again There are two small vacuum ports on the front - one above the throttle butterflies (ported) and one below (manifold). If you have a stock or very mild engine, hook to the ported vacuum. If you have a bit of a cam, etc. IMHO hook to the manifold vacuum to get a better idle.

I ran an IGN UNF line out and split it for my Pertronix distributor and the choke.

I agreee with Billla on the connection of the vacuum ports. I am running a somewhat lopey cam in my 383 and the non-ported vacuum source works the best to get my dizzy advancing early enough. A mild engine that has a stock dizzy (not one that has been reworked and modified) works better with the ported fitting. My engine gets right up to speed and the choke works fine, I also get around 15 MPG with the Edelbrock AVS carb (it is just a little bigger than the 1406 in CFM ratings.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #27
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I'm coming to your town next year for the GWRRA Wing Ding which runs from July 3rd to 6th, 2008.. There will be near 10,000 Honda Goldwings running around Greenvile then.. We booked rooms at the Hawthorn Suites, are you familiar with that hotel and is it a decent place?
I've never heard of this "Wing Ding" before but I live about 10 miles from the hotel (I think, if it's the one pictured off Haywood Road, I've never stayed there before, I kinda live here, so I don't pay attention to local hotels )
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I hope you enjoy it.

I pulled the 1406 off of my truck and replaced it with a 190somenthing. It's the Quadrajunk that someone mentioned. In my case, it has been flawless. The old carb was jetted much richer, and my nose knew it. The Q-Jet was so much leaner out of the box that I had to put a shield on the starter solenoid to cure a heat-soak issue.

Different strokes for different folks.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #29
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I hope you enjoy it.

I pulled the 1406 off of my truck and replaced it with a 190somenthing. It's the Quadrajunk that someone mentioned. In my case, it has been flawless. The old carb was jetted much richer, and my nose knew it. The Q-Jet was so much leaner out of the box that I had to put a shield on the starter solenoid to cure a heat-soak issue.

Different strokes for different folks.

Tuning an Edelbrock is super easy, you just take out the needle from the top, you don't even have to open it up!! In my experience, they run rich, but I am at elevation (between 3,000 and 6,000ft!!) I' tune my edelbrock before I'd swap to a quadra flood!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #30
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
The Q-Jet was so much leaner out of the box that I had to put a shield on the starter solenoid to cure a heat-soak issue.
I don't get how these are related at all...

On the Q-jet vs. aftermarket debate, used Q-Jets are tuned for stock engines - so they're generally pretty darn close if you get one for an application similar to yours. They're also spread-bore with HUGE secondaries which makes for great driveability and performance when you put your foot into it. They are fairly difficult to tune if you end up moving very far away from stock.

The Edelbrock 1406 and the Holley Avengers are going to be pretty close out of the box as well, the Holley "Classcs" are going to be way off. Any shop with an Hc meter can help you tune these so they're pretty close. I always wonder why people buy a new $350 carb when what they need is a $100-$150 professional tune...or at least some very careful plug reading to get it in the ballpark. They're both almost infinitely tuneable.

I'm pretty new to the Edelbrock, I've only installed 3 now and each of them required NO jet/rod changes on the chassis dyno. Both required a secondary spring change to the next heavier spring.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #31
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

imo most people dog quadrajets simply beacause the dont know how to work on them, it easier to go and buy a new carb ,than to work on an old, in some peoples eyes anyways. im not trying to make any one madd im just my 2 cents

Last edited by bad6772; 07-19-2007 at 08:36 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #32
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
imo most people dog quadrajets simply beacause the dont know how to work on them, it easier to go and buy a new carb ,than to work on an old, in some peoples eyes anyways. im not trying to make any one madd im just my 2 cents
I agree in general that most people buy a carb when what they need is a tune. Almost ANY carb can be made to work

At the same time, a Q-jet is really hard for a guy at home to tune beyond a certain point. It ain't all that easy for someone to get metering rods and jets - and getting deep into the secondaries (beyond just tweaking the air valve) gets interesting. Accelerator pump springs are also kind of a black art. Edelbrock has some of this stuff.

So...I don't disagree that the Q-jet is a GOOD carb (and a GREAT carb for near-stock engines) it's just that I don't agree that it's a good performance carb for engines that are making more than about 1 HP/CID.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote