The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Cleaning up old nuts and bolts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Chemtool Carb Cleaner That You Soak Carbs In Works Good Too.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67 View Post
Make a buzzwheel from an electric motor and a wire wheel. Works good.
...and this... is what I do to old rusty bolts. Cleans 'em up nice. Remember to wear eye protection when usin' the wire wheel on a bench grinder.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
rsavage

Oxalic acid. Inexpensive, removes the rust and coats with a zinc coating.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlifted View Post
Ok guys I'm about to blow your minds. I tried a bunch of solvents that only halfway works and made my garage stink to high heaven but not anymore. Instead of buying clr or evaporust for 15 + dollars a quart you can just go down to your Lucan Walmart and pick yourself up a gallon of apple cider vinegar. 3.50 I think is Wat a gallon goes for but this stuff WORKS.i grabbed all my rusty hardware in a gallon bucket and let it sit a few days and this nasty looking surface foam started to appear but the bolts look brand new. It won't peel paint its non toxic and cheap. Try it put see if it works for u guys. But n
Posted via Mobile Device
The Apple Cider vinegar works like a charm! I tried this out the other day. I let them sit in there all week, took them out today and they came out great! I have more in there as of now too. Can't go wrong for the price.

Ray
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
srea76

i agree vinegar will surprise you what it does to anything rusty.

Red Baron-72 c10 Project
srea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Cleaning up old nuts and bolts ?

White vinager and let them sit over night. Take them out and wire brush them, let dry and paint them. Poke the bolt through some cardboard and paint the heads.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #31
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Since I posted this, I have accumulated more nuts and bolts of all kinds in different containers. I have tried different methods inluding the automatic trans fluid. I placed a bunch of bolts in a large can with a lid and filled it up with transmission fluid. It took a long time but the bolts did come out clean. I've wire wheeled some and cleaned some with diesel but never tried the muriatic acid.

This apple cider method sounds interesting. I may try that on the batch that I have next. Do they have to be cleaned of grease first?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
Lee H

I take mine to my local plater. They strip the then plate them for about 20 bucks for a 2 gallon pale full. I have gotten zinc and black phosphate done.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #33
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmobilekindofguy View Post
just soak them in WD-40, may sound like a hick but you will be surprised how well WD-40 works on stuff. I have used it to take tar off the side of my 1970 olds, and it should even protect the nuts and bolts
As WD-40 is actually a solvent that works pretty decently.

I've used a can of carb cleaner with the basket in it for nuts and bolts a lot to get the grease off. You can only soak a few at a time but you just throw a handful in the the basket put it in the can and let it soak for a couple of hours and pull it out and rinse it off.

I use "Oil Eater" to clean larger parts where I spay it on with a squirt bottle, let it soak, scrub it with a parts washing brush and hose it off and have great results. Some of the local shops are using it in their hot tanks because it is biodegradable unlike the old caustic powder we used to put in hot tanks. some of that in a five gallon bucket would work great for cleaning small parts but you still will have to deal with the rust. A rock or shell tumbler and some abrasive powder might work to clean small batches of nuts and bolts. just put them in and let them turn.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod67 View Post
Make a buzzwheel from an electric motor and a wire wheel. Works good.
Works great....can soak in gas then wipe with rag before the wire wheel.

Then store them all in oil and they are better then new.

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
Ironangel

Muratic acid is diluted Hydrochloric acid and is widely used in swimming pools for cleaning and for lowering PH in the water, BAD STUFF! Even though it is the primary acid in your stomach, I'd stay away from it for reasons already indicated. Phosphoric acid, used in most "Cola's"(in trace amounts) is the acid used in the "rust converters" such as "Naval Jelly." It is much less harmful and reacts with iron oxide to form a "black phosphate" that is an "inert compound" and when painted with a zinc primer will remain inert to any further oxidation. Many nuts and bolts as well as many parts such as carburetor's on many older motorcycles are no longer available so careful restoration and cleaning is a must. Many restorers are using "Lemon Juice" to clean aluminum, brass, and copper parts followed with a sodium bicarbonate solution rinse (baking soda & water) to neutralize any remaining acid. Iye treated headers, truck beds, and many nuts and bolts with Phosphoric Acid and have very good results! My 72 bed had 4 areas where the rust had eat completely through the bed. Most rusting problems with these trucks and most older vehicles is directly related to poor grounding and "Electrolysis" takes over! Most rusting can be stopped dead by using "Anodes" placed at various locations on the truck or vehicle such as the bottom of the battery tray. "Schools out!" PS. "Im a hoarder!" Transmission fluid & Acetone is my not so secret but favorite soaking/cleaning solution!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Muratic acid is diluted Hydrochloric acid and is widely used in swimming pools for cleaning and for lowering PH in the water, BAD STUFF! Even though it is the primary acid in your stomach, I'd stay away from it for reasons already indicated. Phosphoric acid, used in most "Cola's"(in trace amounts) is the acid used in the "rust converters" such as "Naval Jelly." It is much less harmful and reacts with iron oxide to form a "black phosphate" that is an "inert compound" and when painted with a zinc primer will remain inert to any further oxidation. Many nuts and bolts as well as many parts such as carburetor's on many older motorcycles are no longer available so careful restoration and cleaning is a must. Many restorers are using "Lemon Juice" to clean aluminum, brass, and copper parts followed with a sodium bicarbonate solution rinse (baking soda & water) to neutralize any remaining acid. Iye treated headers, truck beds, and many nuts and bolts with Phosphoric Acid and have very good results! My 72 bed had 4 areas where the rust had eat completely through the bed. Most rusting problems with these trucks and most older vehicles is directly related to poor grounding and "Electrolysis" takes over! Most rusting can be stopped dead by using "Anodes" placed at various locations on the truck or vehicle such as the bottom of the battery tray. "Schools out!" PS. "Im a hoarder!" Transmission fluid & Acetone is my not so secret but favorite soaking/cleaning solution!
Nice Post
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
skorpioskorpio

If it's more grease than rust, I keep a 5 gallon bucket of Pine-sol as a degreaser, even takes the grease stains out of cast aluminum. You just throw them in there for a few days or a week and it doesn't kill the plating. If you want to brighten up the plating fill a container 1/3rd full of your bolts about half Ajax scouring powder and the rest water and shake. It's cheap use lots and it will make the mixture viscus enough to keep the nuts and bolts from nicking each other. Anyway, motorcycle restoration tricks where almost every nut and bolt is visible in the end product.

..Oh and rust well that you just kind of wipe it off whith your fingers, I see it once in a while here in Southern California, you're talking about that light orangishy dusty stuff that accumulates on stuff right? Although I'm not sure why you'd have any on a vehicle that is only 40 years old.

Last edited by skorpioskorpio; 01-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
1972MarkW

I have always used white vinegar .Works great,removes all the rust . just soak for 24 hours.

''Whether you hear cheering or booing,as long as you still hear noise
you still got it.'' Dale Earnhardt
1972MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
BrianPlaster

vinegar is the best
coca cola works well also
BrianPlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
leddzepp

Anything acidic will clean off rust...
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #41
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Check this thread out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452909

The cement mixer is what I use, only I do it outside so I don't need the cover. Works good and you can do a lot at once...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #42
9teen69

Evapo-Rust from Autozone. Soak overnight...the best.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=643195_0_0_
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
blkcorvair

I kept every original bolt that I could. Blasted them all in a blast cabinet. One at a time. The blackones I sprayed with black epoxy. Zinc ones I replated with zinc kit from eastwood.

Took a long time but I would do like ten a day or so and all that original hardware looks great in there. Looks of them have very neat stapings on them, not like the generic china bolts of today.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote