The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #26
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: Old Air, Dash or Underdash Mount?

Here's the area I'd like to see from a bit closer; perhaps from a couple different angles? Basically, that pic is taken from quite a distance and I'm curious to see it from closer. Thanks!
Attached Images

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #27
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Brad, here it is!!
Attached Images

fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #28
fastom

One more!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #29
fastom

Last one!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 AM   #30
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Thanks a bunch! That's exactly what I was looking for!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #31
2bits

I have too much experience with the under dash units. Tried three of them, IMO the only kind that looks decent and works correctly is the aftermarket/dealer installed style that goes all the way from the pass door to the key switch. I think mine matches pretty good but that's because the unit and the interior are both black. I can see how it would look "aftermarkety" with different color interiors, but that is up to your taste too.

I would say how easy of a job do you want? The underdash units are cool only and bolt in and does not mess with your existing heater. While the aftermarket in the dash units force you to remove your existing heater (they come with heat).

If I had someone doing it for me, I would get the in the dash unit because it is cleaner looking in the cab, and firewall, but personally, I just wanted to bolt in some A/C that looked good and worked, and wasn't a massive undertaking. That would be the question to ask yourself to help make a decision.

Oh... and let me say to NOT buy from Hot Rod Air... 3 A/C units, a podunk compressor bracket that I returned for credit four months ago, and calling the guy twice a week since May to finally get things sorted out and to get my credit for the bracket and they screwed me on the credit.

Got my under dash unit from http://nostalgicairparts.com/ who was the only company who had the LONG underdash unit, everyone else just had little short Mustang size ones. Here's some pics on mine, I am happy with this unit and my factory heat.

'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #32
JWPOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
I have too much experience with the under dash units. Tried three of them, IMO the only kind that looks decent and works correctly is the aftermarket/dealer installed style that goes all the way from the pass door to the key switch. I think mine matches pretty good but that's because the unit and the interior are both black. I can see how it would look "aftermarkety" with different color interiors, but that is up to your taste too.

I would say how easy of a job do you want? The underdash units are cool only and bolt in and does not mess with your existing heater. While the aftermarket in the dash units force you to remove your existing heater (they come with heat).

If I had someone doing it for me, I would get the in the dash unit because it is cleaner looking in the cab, and firewall, but personally, I just wanted to bolt in some A/C that looked good and worked, and wasn't a massive undertaking. That would be the question to ask yourself to help make a decision.

Oh... and let me say to NOT buy from Hot Rod Air... 3 A/C units, a podunk compressor bracket that I returned for credit four months ago, and calling the guy twice a week since May to finally get things sorted out and to get my credit for the bracket and they screwed me on the credit.

Got my under dash unit from http://nostalgicairparts.com/ who was the only company who had the LONG underdash unit, everyone else just had little short Mustang size ones. Here's some pics on mine, I am happy with this unit and my factory heat.

Do you happen to have any pictures of this where the drain tubes in the floor go? I have the same unit and they just seem to go out to a couple of holes in the floor but seem like they are in places that could interfere with someones feet and just sort of seem like they can just fall out of the hole easily because they are barely long enough to go out the bottom of the floor. I also have a wire that is not hooked up that looks like it has a plug end like a radio antenna, I don't have a picture yet, but if I get one, hopefully you might be able to help me find out where it goes. Thanks.
JWPOORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #33
2bits

Actually you are looking at them.

You see where they "dissapear" into the carpet? They go straight through the floor right there. That was my mistake. There is one hole on the right up next to the kick panel so that's no big deal, but the one on the left totally interferes with people's feet! That's a good catch! I thought I needed the angle like that for downward flow, but now that it is in, I realize that as long as it is physically lower, then gravity will pull it down, so I could have moved it ALOT higher.

I have a new carpet set sitting in my parts room, and as soon as I get to the point where I am going to install it, I am going close up that old hole and drill a new one higher up and relocate that sucker!

Here's a pic of where the left one comes out, there is plenty of tube and you can run as long a tube as you like if what they don't send you is long enough, just head to Home Depot. The other one comes out between the cab and firewall so you can't see it, but it flows freely to the ground. I have noticed that they "sweat" sometimes too on real hot days and it drips down anyway, and that is a bit of a concern for me but won't be a real issue until I install the carpet, I will probably just insulate it somehow.
Attached Images

'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #34
JWPOORE

Thanks for the reply and that is so funny because mine is mounted exactly the same with the right one up high enough and the left one exactly where yours is located. I am stripping the floors right now and will be relocated the left one up higher.
JWPOORE is offline   Reply With Quote