The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #26
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Re: What brand of tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckstr View Post
I inherited my grandfathers tools. He farmed. He lost tools. So, the "set" of tools I inherited are incomplete. That said, he had a BUNCH of different brands of tools: Snap-On, S-K, Proto, Nonebetter, Herbrand, Craftsman, Armstrong, etc. I've had really good luck with all of the old ratchets. Those old Craftsmans are just as good as any others. Maybe it's just because they are all from back in the day, but...

When I buy new tools, more often than not I'll buy Craftsman. If for no other reason, I can get new ones really easy. Better than chasing down a truck.

If you ever have a problem with an old Craftsman ratchet - DO NOT TAKE IT BACK TO SEARS - they will replace it with one of their new junks that won't last through a few uses. See if you can get a repair kit from ebay. There is a guy over on www.garagejournal.com that has a link to some craftsman service rep somewhere who enjoys trying to locate and repair old craftsman ratchets
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #27
Truckstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
If you ever have a problem with an old Craftsman ratchet - DO NOT TAKE IT BACK TO SEARS - they will replace it with one of their new junks that won't last through a few uses. See if you can get a repair kit from ebay. There is a guy over on www.garagejournal.com that has a link to some craftsman service rep somewhere who enjoys trying to locate and repair old craftsman ratchets
Yeah, I've heard about taking old ratchets back to Sears. Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm pretty easy with my ratchets though.

I try to use a breaker bar when I hit a blot/nut that won't come off at first with "regular" force. Never hurts to try and take care of your tools.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #28
abebummy26

I've used the Gearwrenches I love them my dad has a set. Ive got a distributor wrench I think. I have heard that the craftsman combination wrenches like to strip out on the open end any body else experienced this? I have a Snap on 3/8 drive that's pretty old I'll probably use it instead of the new stuff.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #29
shifty
Questionable

All I can say is this: Make sure the tool is "made in America", please? It should be stamped or branded as such.

You may pay a 10-20% markup on the actual product with it being made here in the states, but everyone in this country needs to "vote with their dollar" and show big business that we won't let them run this country into the ground by outsourcing labor to China, India and other countries.

It's killing us, our future, our economy....

Look for the "Made In USA" logo on things - or ask.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #30
chipflyer

I couldn't agree with you more Shifty. For many years I was a service tech for John Deere and have over $35,000 worth of Snapon stuff that I cherrish and I feel the quality is second to none. After moving into a completly different field, (IT) I started doing a little shopping at harbor frieght just because they have some really cheap stuff that I found handy to buy and use once in a while. I have now quit Harbor frieght, It sickens me to see all the cheap copied crap that is shipped over here by the boatloads.
How can our American manufacturers every compete when the Chinese can make a set of screw drivers and ship them halfway around the world for 8 bucks?
Somebody told me something once that I will never forget, "Quality is long remembered while price is soon forgotten"

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #31
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
everyone in this country needs to "vote with their dollar" and show big business that we won't let them run this country into the ground by outsourcing labor to China, India and other countries.

It's killing us, our future, our economy....

Look for the "Made In USA" logo on things - or ask.
"Damned straight !!" I'm with you on that one Shifty. No offense meant to others who own foreign cars, but think about it, the second most expensive purchase the average person makes (second only to your home) is your auto. Do you really want the profits from that sale going overseas? I've never owned a Non-American car, and never will. But hey, that's just me, an old fart that's been off to war to defend this country.
Okay, end of rant.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote