The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
abebummy26

What brand of tools?

Ok I was wonder what brand of tools I should buy?. I know there are a few mechanics on this board so I figured I would ask the Pros.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 01-30-2008 at 11:38 AM.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: What brand of tools?

most of the pros buy mack or snap on but both are overpriced... i prefer craftsman only cause the people who work at sears dont seem to care what i bring them they warranty replace it although the ratchets lately are really crappy and break almost as easy as the chinese knuckle breakers

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
streetstar

I'm not a car mechanic (many of you can probably tell by reading a few of my posts), but i worked as an A&P mech for 3 years -- thats airplanes.

I used mostly Snap-On because i love the smooth precise feel of their ratchets -- Their screwdriver handles used to be the absolute best, but now they are copied by a few people, (Craftsman Professional Series - to name one)

Snap On makes everything the best (yes Mac and Matco are awesome too, if you can get them)

But................ price puts off a lot of people,
Everything in aviation is SAE, so when i was getting together a metric toolset for some of my cars and motorcycles, i went with Craftsman sockets, -- i have all kinds of combination wrenches, and the Snap-On's are pretty, but i have been using the long, thin GearWrenches for almost everything lately (u can get these at Sears too).

Craftsman's basic ratchets feel loose, but their fine tooth, professional series models are nice.

But if i were getting together a set of good tools, i would get Snap On ratchets (or the Craftsman Pro Series if those are too high), at least one short, stubby flex ratchet, and a 1/2" breakover bar

Craftsman sockets, 12 pt and 6 pt in 1/4 and 3/8, 6 pt in 1/2

A set of Craftsman Pro Series screwdrivers and a nice ratcheting screwdriver - (again, Snap On makes 'em best, but the Craftsman Pro Series is a darn good value for the $$)

Then a set of Gear Wrenches in metric and SAE sizes

You will need other things,
duckbill pliers, needle nose pliers, long handled needlenose pliers, at least one big Crescent wrench, and a good pair of dykes (wire cutters)

Last but not least, your hammers - Get a 16 oz ball peen,a 16 oz mallet, and a big 'ol deadblow hammer.

That should cover most of your hand tool needs

you will need other stuff like torque wrench or two, a timing light and voltage meter too

As well as some type of box to keep everything organized

You can get a whole lot with a few hundred bucks if you wait for the Sears sales , but like i said -- stay away from their less expensive ratchet line if you can afford a little better. They're loose and the matte finish is hard to keep clean.

Secrest out

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
most of the pros buy mack or snap on but both are overpriced... i prefer craftsman only cause the people who work at sears dont seem to care what i bring them they warranty replace it although the ratchets lately are really crappy and break almost as easy as the chinese knuckle breakers
This is very good advice.

I'll let the other guys buy the overpriced mac and snap-on, They are wonderful, but not worth the prices they ask. I'll go to sears and buy Craftsman hand tools and save a ton of money. I have craftsman tools that were my Dads, and even some that were my Grandads that I still use every day (and I do have Mac and Snap-on that belonged my Dad too). I know that they don't make them like they used to, but even still, todays Craftsman hand tools are still hard to beat for the price.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
abebummy26

I really don't want something that will more than likely break. Considering the coin you put into craftsman tools. I do not want to be stuck with a tool that is busted. Then I have to go at least 20 minutes away if not an hour away to get a new tool. And have maybe my daily driver not able to go anywhere because I was to thinking oh I can go get a new one of these if it breaks. I'm not trying to insult you. I'm just stating my philosophy. Of course I do have 10 grand in the best machinists tools money can buy in my garage that are all mine. I did not spend one penny on them either. My uncle was a tool and die maker I got all of it from him. Some of the tools were my grandpas to.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 01-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
I really don't want something that will more than likely break. Considering the coin you put into craftsman tools. I do not want to be stuck with a tool that is busted. .
Then stick with their "Professional series" line, or buy Snap-On, and buy 2 of each of anything that rotates or ratchets -- then you will have no down time. Even with Snap-On's , i had a spare 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet, because even the best ratchets strip out when they're used enough.

Craftsman makes the absolute cheapest "servicable" tools --- being cheap means accepting a little compromise, but they're sockets don't break much unless you are using it for the wrong application (3/8" sockets to take off lug nuts - stuff like that)

Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
jcueckert13

i make a living with my tools and i think i only have 3-4 snap-on tools just due to price. i started out with a 5drawer craftsman box and all craftsman tools 4 years ago when i started turning wrenches and now i still have quite a few craftsman tools left but the tools i use most (10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets and wrenches) have been replaced by matco tools either by breaking or loosing the chaftsman tools. i will say that the exception is my boxend wrenches due to the fact that craftsman wrenches are too loose and round off the bolts. the only brand of dykes i will buy is knipex (they will cut through dam near anything )
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
I really don't want something that will more than likely break. Considering the coin you put into craftsman tools. I do not want to be stuck with a tool that is busted. .
Then stick with their "Professional series" line, or buy Snap-On, and buy 2 of each of anything that rotates or ratchets -- then you will have no down time. Even with Snap-On's , i had a spare 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet, because even the best ratchets strip out when they're used enough.

Craftsman makes the absolute cheapest "servicable" tools --- being cheap means accepting a little compromise, but they're sockets don't break much unless you are using it for the wrong application (3/8" sockets to take off lug nuts - stuff like that)

Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
cdowns

snop on are about the best you can get also the most expensive also for a home type of parttimer they're pretty difficult to get replacements for so unless you're planning on working at a shop that the truck comes to on a frequent basis i think in the long run craftsmen pro tools are a better deal
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Certain Brands are better for certain applications. If you want head over the forums @ www.garagejournal.com There is lots of discussion on tools.

Snap-On pretty much makes the best tools out there, but the come @ a premium price, and if you aren't a professional technician, you'll have to chase down a truck.

Craftsmans sockets are a good deal - especially when they are on sale. I guess they say that the Craftsman "Professional" wrenches are better than the regular "raised panel" ones.

Craftsman hand tools are made by Danaher - who also makes Several Other brand name tools.

All the craftsman ratchets that I own are junk, I hate them all and use none of them. I have a couple Snap-On's, SK, Proto, and Armstrong and that I use.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
pissonNOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
most of the pros buy mack or snap on but both are overpriced...
on some tools on alot of things i find mac to be very similarly priced to craftsman, I have alot of craftsman tools with the exception of a few mac tools, snap on never come to our shop. The other day I bought a die grinder and an angled die grinder brand new mac tools for $80 they came as a set. the same comparable tools from craftsman were $73 each. shop around mac has good deals. maybes it just a canadian thing but up here craftsman tools are really overrpiced i find
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonNOS View Post
maybes it just a canadian thing but up here craftsman tools are really overrpiced i find
I think most of Canada's Craftsman tools are made in China/Taiwan - not the same stuff we have here in the US
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
pissonNOS

hmm ud think craftsman was craftsman
Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you are just starting to buy tools,I would suggest looking for a Craftsman sale.They generally have sets with 1/4,3/8, and 1/2 drive and wrenches in the $200.00 range.This will give you the basics usually at a better deal than buying seperately.Keep in mind that you will be getting quite a few metrics which you may not use.Then hit the Pawn shops for Snap-on -Mac or Matco ratchets and rotating drives.For screwdrivers and other stuff whatever feels right ot you and is within your budget.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
BarryB

People talk about craftsman ratchets, I'll tell you about Mac ratchets. There junk, I don't know how many I have broke.
For a ratchet that won't give you any trouble find your self an Armstrong brand. I have abused my Armstrong ratchet and has yet to fail me. 6 years now of heavy use.
I do use craftsman sockets and wrenches. They are hard to beat for the price. Don't even waste yourtime on a Craftsman screwdriver set. There are several tools you just need to go ahead and get a good brand, such as Mac, Matco, Snap-on. screwdrivers are one of those .

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

I use craftman for all of my personal stuff. Their ratches don't hold up very well. I use snap on and proto at the railroad. snap on is great but way overpiced for a do it yourselfer
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
tdkosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcueckert13 View Post
the only brand of dykes i will buy is knipex (they will cut through dam near anything )
Knipex are made in Germany and are awesome. Get some nice reversible ratcheting wrenches and some nut drivers also.

Last edited by tdkosta; 01-30-2008 at 03:19 PM.
tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

snap on for me

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

You're all not going to believe this, but I got a complete set of Stanley tools at the Walmart I work at. It's one of those 110 tools in a plastic briefcase things. The ratchets aren't too half bad, the sockets are outstanding, but the wrenches I wouldn't trust. The screwdriver bits are outstanding, too.

As far as ratchets go, my father gave me a 3/8" Proto MANY years ago. I've abused that thing like a UL testing technician. I've TRIED to break it. I can't. All the pretty knurling on the handle has been flattened out from me hammering on the ratchet using it as an impact wrench. I've put a 16" pipe on it as a torque assist. It got dropped in a puddle one year and I couldn't find it until spring when the puddle evaporated. All four of us drove over it twice on a daily basis coming in and out of the driveway for about 3 months. Found it one day, took it into the shop and disassembled it (two phillips screws) and regreased it. Put it back together and it went right back into service. It's as tight today as it was 15 years ago when it was new. I now have two of them.

And I agree with what's said above - a complete set of gear wrenches is mandatory!! Especially when it comes time to remove or tighten the upper tranny mounting bolts on the bellhousing. Nothing like being able to snug them down in a matter of seconds WITH the distributor in place.

One thing you will NOT be disappointed in is if you go to a pawn shop and pick up a half decent 9/16" combination wrench. Take it to a muffler shop and have them heat it up with a torch until you can bend it into a double "L" shape. Wonder what I'm talking about? Go look up a distributor wrench at NAPA.

And if you're going to be doing any work that involves removing the power steering pump, let me know. I've got the pulley extractor tool that you can borrow for shipping. No need for everyone to go out and spend that kind of money (mine cost close to $50) for one use like I did.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
larry may

MAC TOOLS for me . same warranty as SNAP OFF tad cheaper. Fit the hand for gripping better than Snap off..

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 AM   #21
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry may View Post
MAC TOOLS for me . same warranty as SNAP OFF tad cheaper. Fit the hand for gripping better than Snap off..
mac tools use that kung fu grip LOL

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

I strip out a craftsman 3/8 ratchet about once a year. They just won't stand up to hard use,abuse. But I will say, the Gear wrenches are awesome!
I also keep a cheapo tool set in the big truck for quick fixes. I know they'll get lost,broken or stolen so I won't cry over a few bucks.
I have a bad habit of leaving tools on the running board and driving away
I also have a large collection of "found in parking lot " tools.I will gladly beat and abuse these!
Funny story: A trucker once asked me if I had a coat hanger to get into his locked truck, I handed him a hammer and said THIS WILL WORK. He calmly walked to his truck and smashed the shiit out of his window. I let him keep the hammer!
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005

Last edited by retodd7711; 01-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
if you aren't a professional technician, you'll have to chase down a truck..
I was wondering when someone was gonna mention that. Unless you work full-time in a shop, good luck doin' business with snap-on, mac, matco, etc. Just wait for a sale at Sears, and go Craftsman. I work at a Oil company distribution terminal and we get mechanical contractors from all over the country from time to time doing major jobs. And, every one of them use Craftsman tools. Even if you are a tradesman and have acess to the snap-on truck, if you're out of town and your snap-on ratchet breaks, you're SOL. But, Craftsman breaks, go find ya' a Sears and you're good to go.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #24
larry may

Smile Re: What brand of tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I was wondering when someone was gonna mention that. Unless you work full-time in a shop, good luck doin' business with snap-on, mac, matco, etc. Just wait for a sale at Sears, and go Craftsman. I work at a Oil company distribution terminal and we get mechanical contractors from all over the country from time to time doing major jobs. And, every one of them use Craftsman tools. Even if you are a tradesman and have acess to the snap-on truck, if you're out of town and your snap-on ratchet breaks, you're SOL. But, Craftsman breaks, go find ya' a Sears and you're good to go.

Darn good point and issue for that matter. Probably a status thing in the shop to have the Snap off and Mac , Matco..Always was a little etched when the other mechanics would say he uses farmer tools, or uck he has craftsman. You be correct 63&64 in the field or on the road craftsman is Just fine.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #25
Truckstr

I inherited my grandfathers tools. He farmed. He lost tools. So, the "set" of tools I inherited are incomplete. That said, he had a BUNCH of different brands of tools: Snap-On, S-K, Proto, Nonebetter, Herbrand, Craftsman, Armstrong, etc. I've had really good luck with all of the old ratchets. Those old Craftsmans are just as good as any others. Maybe it's just because they are all from back in the day, but...

When I buy new tools, more often than not I'll buy Craftsman. If for no other reason, I can get new ones really easy. Better than chasing down a truck.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote