The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #26
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

Re: Shaved cowl

I agree with shifty.It would have to be contured to the shape of the cowl not just a flat piece of metal.1 piece that you could place over and cover the entire louvers,scribe around then cut the cowl to fit.
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #27
avysittinon22s

A buddy of mine had some type of roller machine that put the curve in it. And it not getto at all!!! It turned out very nice. Its doesnt have much body filler at all. Whats the difference in this and replacing and body patch panel? Custom work takes cutting, welding, and bodyfiller.
avysittinon22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #28
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by avysittinon22s View Post
A buddy of mine had some type of roller machine that put the curve in it. And it not getto at all!!! It turned out very nice. Its doesnt have much body filler at all. Whats the difference in this and replacing and body patch panel? Custom work takes cutting, welding, and bodyfiller.
It absolutely does - what I'm saying sounds "ghetto", is if you'd taken a flat piece of metal and welded it in with no curve, then used filler to make the curved transitions.

Using filler isn't a bad thing, but the thought of taking something at an angle like this / and smoothing it out to be a curve lik ) using bondo....

Get what I'm saying?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #29
class01

so you gonna make them infanti?
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #30
roj2323

i wouldn't mind one of these either. i'm tired of cleaning out the crud in my vents so i want to shave them and install vent openings inside the door hinge area. i figure this will avoid the dirt and leaf issue while still provinding a sorce of fresh air for my stock heater setup.

ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #31
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roj2323 View Post
i wouldn't mind one of these either. i'm tired of cleaning out the crud in my vents so i want to shave them and install vent openings inside the door hinge area. i figure this will avoid the dirt and leaf issue while still provinding a sorce of fresh air for my stock heater setup.

ondrew
I was flipping through the Brothers Truck catalog the other day, and they have firm screens that attach to the underside of the cowl which prevent debris from entering the cowls without shaving the cowl (which kills air flow through the kick vents)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #32
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

class01 just kicking tires at the moment.The largest press i have in the shop is not big enough to make it in 1 piece.The part would be 4' long.What do you guys think if it was in 2 pieces?Also easier to ship.
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #33
shifty
Questionable

I would be fine with two pieces. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable cutting out the entire center, I imagine that cutting out the entire 4'+ inside section would render it nearly impossible to weld in the shaved part without warpage and twisting.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #34
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

agree with shifty. i too would feel good if it was in two pieces....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #35
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanti View Post
For those that don't know,I am the guy on ebay with the shaved panels,thanks for the compliments.How many would be interested in welding in thier own panels for the cowl?
+1 -I'll try anything once... 2 pieces sounds good too.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 03-23-2008 at 03:45 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #36
noteron

so are you gonna make em?? i could use several sets
noteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #37
Mondo

I know a lot of you want to keep the truck all metal and like the idea of welding something up... but I got this fiberglass cowl that came ready to paint/install and I'm really happy with it.

Contact Tony mgtp001@gmail.com if you want more info (I'm just a satisfied customer, not trying to sell them)
Attached Images

Last edited by Mondo; 08-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #38
Ackattack

man, that looks great!

If it were made out of metal, I think 2 pieces would be best also. I need to keep the wipers too if that matters.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #39
Rokcrln

I did this one out of 19ga, hand formed it to shape than finished up with a hammer and dolly during and after welding. It was 1pc but 2pc would be easier to handle for the average guy trying this for the first time.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

where can i send my money??

absolutely want a set, maybe more. I wouldn't want it as one piece though. I'd want individual pieces like mentioned above.

to me it seems that if you were to cut out the existing vent, you'd lose a lot of what little rigidity there is in a cowl, making warping a big problem. since you're more than likely going to have skim coat some filler over the metal work, this loss in rigidity is going to cause cracks.

for me, i've already painted my truck, but would pull the cowl, sand it down, insert these fill plates, paint and reinstall. I got your door, gas and stake plates when i was doing my body work, and they were great. even down to the little tabs on the door locks. if you can produce the same quality and fit, i would absolutely take a set.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #41
killer71

Mondo that is sweet, I love it!!!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote