The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Ackattack

Shaved cowl

Does anyone make inserts to weld in to shave the cowl? I got pre-stamped pieces to fill the firewall and gas cap hole, and it was pretty easy. I'd like to find a similar thing for the cowl....it would save me A LOT of time and probably look better.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Shaved cowl

There is a guy on eBay, I think he's in Canada - he offers filler plates for the other areas. I am actually really surprised they don't make the cowl delete plates.

I'm afraid of doing it, supposedly if it's not bolted down, the cowl will twist and warp when you cut the vents out.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Where did you get the stamped firewall plates? I need to do the same.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

grednel - check out this guy on eBay, he's the one i'm talking about: http://search.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQsassZinfanti72

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
grednel - check out this guy on eBay, he's the one i'm talking about: http://search.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQsassZinfanti72
Thanks. Funny thing, I bought a gas filler from him yesterday and he didn't have that stuff up.

Just bought it and I hope he can stuff them in the same box, saving me some shipping.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I've seen a lot of guys say his stuff is great, contoured properly, perfect fit. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
avysittinon22s

Heres a couple pics of mine. I took s piece of sheet metal a little thicker than the cowls metal and cut to the size of the whole vent area. I then cut the whole vent area out in on piece and welded the solid piece in with small spot welds to avoid warpage. Afterwards I had a spot weld every 4 to 5 inches. I then just covered in body filler and sanded it all smooth. Turned out really nice.
Attached Images

avysittinon22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

You have any pictures of the back side? Welding in a flat piece and using body filler to contour sounds pretty ghetto, but maybe that's how everyone does it (I have no idea)

Old 03-14-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
class01

^How did you get the slight curve in the metal?
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Tri-Pro had a thread asking what don't they make.Maybe he will jump on this.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

I was one of the people pestering Tri-Pro in that thread. They said they would not be making shaved cowls. A lot of us were interested - but basically, because someone already makes a re-pop cowl, Tri-Pro isn't necessarily looking to produce a tooling/mold/press/whatever to cut a new part if someone else is making it already.

They're really looking to re-pop parts that don't currently exist except with NOS (or cutting up another truck), and in order to make the shaved cowls, they need to make the press for a normal cowl first, then delete the stock vents to give the shaved look. With the limited/niche market for shaved cowls versus the full market for regular cowls...I think the break even point may have been too high for them? Not 100% sure on that word for word, but this was my understanding.

On the shaved cowl topic, there is someone on eBay making fiberglass shaved cowls. Someone posted about it in the parts forum. I know this doesn't help the OP, and personally I don't like fiberglass parts, but it might help someone who hits this topic now, or later via search.

Last edited by shifty; 03-14-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
Mondo

Yeah, Tri-pro had a lot of us interested but didn't want to compete in selling stock cowls.

It seems it would be pretty easy to use a stock cowl and make a mold for a shaved fiberglass cowl (not that I know much about fiberglass).

I'd buy one if it was reasonable $$... I'm sure it would need a little tweaking by the time UPS got it here though. Couldn't be any worse than fiberglass fenders, hoods etc... being the only one making them would get someone off to a good start.

Last edited by Mondo; 03-14-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #13
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
It seems it would be pretty easy to use a stock cowl and make a mold for a shaved fiberglass cowl (not that I know much about fiberglass).

I'd buy one if it was reasonable $$... being the only one making them would get someone off to a good start.
Your wish is my command: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=shaved

Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Ackattack

yeah, I got my filler pieces from the guy in Canada off of ebay...nice stuff and reasonably priced.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

For those that don't know,I am the guy on ebay with the shaved panels,thanks for the compliments.How many would be interested in welding in thier own panels for the cowl?
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
class01

interested but i would need them fairly soon
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

me too!
i think: if you build it, they will come! "waynes world quote"
no, i think they will do really good, by the way.... i love those pieces you make! i bought a few sets from you on ebay.saves us alot of work! thanks!

keep up the good work!

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club

Last edited by 72swb_327stroker_?; 03-14-2008 at 05:26 PM.
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

infanti,
i would take a "set" as well. i am not in a hurry, but i am not sure what the price would be? also if we can get a group together would you be willing to do a "group" discount? just a side note i work for a canadain based company (stantec consult. inc.) i hope you won't hold that against me.... (lol) "eehhh"

thanks!!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanti View Post
For those that don't know,I am the guy on ebay with the shaved panels,thanks for the compliments.How many would be interested in welding in thier own panels for the cowl?

I'm interested, if a properly contoured patch panel existed.

I know nothing, but in my mind, I would think you would probably want to include a antenna filler plug, two wiper filler plugs for people who wanted a "total shave".

Would the patch plate be slightly oversized? How would we measure things out to know exactly where to weld it in?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanti View Post
I'm the one that messaged you on ebay last night about these.

What I always thought was smaller, thin strips to weld in each slot, rather than a whole contoured piece that you'd cut out. Doing the individual pieces woul require more welding though.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
bglad420

I would also be interested.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #22
sddwtcb

interested here also...
Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #23
KURTH67