The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
jdurant

Re: Can somone explain this bag setup?

I could be wrong and I'm sure somebody will chime in here if I am wrong. But the leaf springs in the above setup still serve the same function as they alway have, not just to keep the rear end under you. They still do most of the dampening. The airbags are there more or less to ensure that you won't bottom out. They do not help lower the truck. And they are not all that adjustable. I'll bet you can't get much more than an inch or two of adjustability. And the higher/more air that is in it the stiffer it would feel and the more stress you would be putting on the leafs. I could be wrong about that though, since there is an airtank, instead of a schrader valve.

I plan to make a setup like that because I wanna go as low as I can but I need to keep the floor in the blazer intact. So I'll flip it and notch it and see but the first time I bottom out--I'm going for a setup like that. I just planned on using a schrader valve so I can use them when I need them.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The picture posted belongs to my buddy Jeff, (board member "hot trux"). You are correct that he hasn't installed the upper bag mount. It's basically the duplication of N2TRUX's suspension. Designed to set low when air'd out,... but not cut the bed floor. Everything on Jeff's truck was purchased from Air Ride Technologies including the air management. Also they are ART's sleeve bags which should ride good.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #28
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

jdurant,... as soon as you flip and notch your frame your center section of the rearend will start hitting the blazer rear floor pan. So either get ready to raise the floor or by some bags to raise it back up. (which,... in my opinion,... defeats the purpose of "flipping and notching").

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #29
kainzien

My truck had air over leaf, and had no c-notch, it rode ok, but would not go low enough for me. Its a good set up if you don't want to cut up the rear suspention. So I went 4-link and c-notch.
78 rcsb chevy LQ4/4L80E
kainzien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, with out going through and quoiting everyone individually let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

Everything on my truck came from ART and is listed below. The rear set up uses a flip kit with a 2" block. The stock leaf spring has had all but the top two springs removed. The truck rides on the air spring and uses the leaf spring as a locater.

This set up offers an excellent ride. When aired out the rear sits on a small button style bump stop. I have never measured the amount of lift in the rear, but it is probably 6-8 inches. The picture below was to show how much travel the front has, but it also gives you an idea what the rear will do.

Air Ride-
Front ARF11800
Rear ARK3004
Control ARC4700 4 way Big Red
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-23-2008 at 12:57 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #31
ca180
tryin to get laid

Sweet, thanks alot!

When I get an itch, I research as much as possible... This is about what I need.

N2TRUX, looks like you've also got drop shackles from a newer model truck. I've actually got those on my truck, with all but 3 leaves taken out. No flip yet, but I really don't see how it would clear without a notch. You're truck is amazing, and the fabrication looks excellent. I like exactly how it sits. Oh, and one more question, since you're running bags up front, are you also running drop spindles? Seems you're truck sits pretty low. If you're not, I now know exactly what I want....

Thanks for everyones help!
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #32
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Thanks for the compliment. Yes the front is running 3" DJM dropped spindles

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"