The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
Sammy

Re: Were did you mount your valves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Here's mine. I'm going to make a splash guard for it one of these days.

Nice setup. Your using two tanks. Also you plumbed with hard lines. Did you use brake lines to do this? And all brass fittings between the valves? Can you go in detail on the tanks and your plumbing? Thanks.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Nice setup. Your using two tanks. Also you plumbed with hard lines. Did you use brake lines to do this? And all brass fittings between the valves? Can you go in detail on the tanks and your plumbing? Thanks.
Basically I have two compressors filling two tanks that are tied together. The tanks feed air to the four valves on the left that are tied together which control fill and dump individually of the left side of the truck. Same deal on the right side. The blue tape you see in the pic will be where the fittings go for the two dual needle gauges.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
coulter

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #29
Sammy

Still working on the frame portion. Thinking about using two 3 gal tanks one each side of the frame with a compressor for each one. On a short bed frame worried about the available space so still in the thinking portion of this idea still.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Still working on the frame portion. Thinking about using two 3 gal tanks one each side of the frame with a compressor for each one. On a short bed frame worried about the available space so still in the thinking portion of this idea still.
I believe you can fit a slim 5 gallon tank on the side of the frame under the bed...and I'd recommend that over 2 3 gallon tanks just because the fill times would be shorter.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
broey
Square

my manifold is mounted inside my frame rail.

but, if I was running valves, I would run a set near each wheel, this allows for the least amount of air used to fill the bags. the shorter the distance to the bags the better. since I run a manifold and engine driven compressor and I dont play with the bags too often it works ok for me.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Sammy

Wanting to save the room in the back spare tire area for a fuel tank. Checked on tank sizes 19" L for 3 gal, 30" L for a 5 gal. Any more pics of valves n tanks on the frame out there?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #33
mikey882

Sammy, I saw you asked about hard lines and plumbing......

I believe jlaird used stainless tubing and swagelock fittings. It is one of the prettiest and longest lasting ways to plumb an air ride systems........also very pricey compared to cheap plastic line and compression fittings.

If you don't like the price of Swage fittings, but like the look of the hard line, then you still have that option. You can actually run PTC (push-to-connect) fittings with stainless tubing because the outside diameter is the same. Find some nice nickel plated DOT approved PTCs and shiny stainless line and you're in business.

It also appears that jlaird made efficient use of his brass fittings. It appears that the stainless tubing runs to each bag.......and the valves are plumbed actually in pairs that share a common tank line (not installed in the picture).

If you look closely.......there are T fittings with blue tape on them. The pair of valves in between the blue taped Ts(in the picture they are threaded to the T with an open fitting facing up) do the filling......the two valves in the center and the one on each end do the dumping
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by mikey882; 05-13-2012 at 03:53 AM.
mikey882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #34
mikey882

Also......plain brake line would be very susceptible to corrosion from moisture in the air system. That's why you see mostly stainless and occasionally copper hard lined systems
Posted via Mobile Device
mikey882 is offline   Reply With Quote