The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
Sinisterspeed

Re: Which Frame to use?

I have been thinking about this as well. Just to save you some time here is what I have come up with.

63 shortbed I found for 350.00 Has 115" wheel base, easy to change over to 5lug and disk front. rear would just be swapping it out.

71-72 115" shortbed frames. If you get lucky you might find one for a good deal. Most people want way to much for these. Guy around here gets 500+ just for the front and rear end.

Camaro, I don't like the look of the subframe. A stamped frame welded to a channel frame just does't do it for me.

Using the whole frame from a car might not work to good. The rear of the frame kicks up to go over the rear axle. Thus wont fit with the bed.

S-10. Lots of people do those swaps. Supposedly those are a narrower track width. I think this could be fixed with wider wheels, wheel spacers, or both.

I did a mustang II front on my dads 55. I didn't really know what I was doing but I read alot, asked questions and when I finally dove it. It was really pretty easy. Found a camaro rear end for 100.00 in a local wrecking yard. This worked. but you want it lowered but not slammed you will need to buy springs. I moved the axle to the top of the springs and its slammed. I like it, but from the info you have above, it might not be what you want. So you'd have to mount like stock with lowered springs.

So, ill be watching this thread cause I'm leaning toward another Must II front on my 57. Install was pretty straight forward. Total cost installed was around 2000.00 (doing all the work myself) But I'm open to other ideas.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #27
runpasthefence

I know it's been covered before, but I'm knew to this truck generation, and this thread is new so why not...

How do 69 frames work for these swaps?

I've got a 69 with a shot body but has an LQ9, 4L80, bags, etc and I've been jones'n for a 47-59 for a while now.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
BluTooth

All of my research points to the easiest way is to buy a 73-87 rolling chassis (I found one at a local salvage yard for $600) and then apply the ez-chassis kit ($795). I looked at all of the upgrades to the existing chassis and I would be spending this much anyway. http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm

Last edited by BluTooth; 02-18-2011 at 06:51 PM.
BluTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #29
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTooth View Post
All of my research points to the easiest way is to buy a 73-87 rolling chassis (I found one at a local salvage yard for $600) and then apply the ez-chassis kit ($795). I looked at all of the upgrades to the existing chassis and I would be spending this much anyway. http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm
Sinisterspeed has some excellent advice. Mine is on a '64 chassis and so I get the trailing arm rear suspension with coils. I have dropped coils front and back and drop spindles on the front. I want you to be aware that drop spindles will push the wheels outward about an inch or so. I have rubbing issues with my tire touching the fender lip. It rarely happens, but when it does it's a bit nervy as it occurs at highway speeds, in a curve with a quick dip in the road. I like your plan of the 73-87 frame for $600 and modify from that. It'll have power steering and disc brakes already.