The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
BluTooth

Which Frame to use?

I have a 57 SWB and want to upgrade to P/S, P/B, different rear end and 5 bolt pattern wheels. I have it torn down to the frame now. Can I start out with a different frame from a donor car/truck, if so which one would be best? I would like to maintain some height so the S10 didn't seem like what I would need. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BluTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
dicer

Re: Which Frame to use?

If the 57 frame is in real good shape. Find something else to do the modifications to. At the rate they are being cut up soon there will be no more frames for these years, as no one is making after market frames yet.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
bobinbc

A 73-87 Chev/GMC shortbox frame will work very well if you are interested in keeping the truck at stock height. Seen it done many times, the wheelbase is slightly longer in the rear but there are easy ways around that.

Then you could sell the stock frame for a pretty penny to a restorer like dicer lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
jimig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
If the 57 frame is in real good shape. Find something else to do the modifications to. At the rate they are being cut up soon there will be no more frames for these years, as no one is making after market frames yet.
There are a lot of aftermarket frames for 55-59 but they are spendy. I was looking at them to see what the cost difference was and they are out of may price range. They do not have the original look though
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin

Last edited by jimig1; 02-04-2011 at 10:06 AM.
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man check out these builds

sgtusmc
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=398361&page=3
He used a 88-98 Chevy frame I believe check it out and see what you think. He bagged his but you don't have to do that if you want the higher ride height

Chuckdrivers
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334552
He has a camaro clip installed flush with the frame and its lower than stock but its not on the ground. I don't know if this is too low for you but check it out

michaelnolimit
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=ChuckDriver
He did a how to install the clip

Just throwing this out there for you I hope it helps.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
BluTooth

thanks for the inputs, now I will be looking around the recycle yards for some frames.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
rawraw67

I have a 82 chevy frame under my 57 now.I hope to soon swap the cab over to the new 57 frame that I put a camaro clip on and 4 link out back.
rawraw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
BC Toy chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Dicer I have been reading your post for a while. If you don't like modified trucks why don't you go to a stock truck site or start one. You love to tell people what they should or should not do. It's their ride it's their money. Where's your truck, where's your pictures. I just enjoy coming on here looking at all the different ways folks do things, some stuff I don't care for, others I would do it a little differently, I'm blown away by the SHOP built trucks but I am more impressed by those home built trucks that look like they rolled out of a custom shop, but I appreciate the work and effort EVERYBODY on here puts into their truck. Some don't like my truck, well I didn't build it for them. This is not just a meet and greet site it's also a learning site, folks sharing ideas. If you want a bone stock truck fine, I'm not going to tell you what you ought to do. It's funny how those with the most advice on these types of sites don't post pictures of their projects.

And as far as your comment ...."as no one is making after market frames yet." With the level of talent on here, there are guys that could replicate the original frame if they wanted. I'm assuming you are talking about the '55 to '59. But guess what the majority of us like something better then stock so the frames are updated. They want disc brakes, a modern master cyl. instead of the single resivor master..... ever have your brakes fail with a single resivor master cyl.? I have , lucky for me I was in a parking lot going slow and my massive bumper punched a hole thru the cinder block wall and the bumper was not hurt, hip-hip huray for stock bumpers. That was years before I CUT UP!! my truck. But now I have a dual resivor master cylinder. I had my old stock steering gearbox / column on E-bay for a month. I sold all kinds of Chevy/ GMC truck parts, but no takers on the steering gear. There are very , very few people that want to buy a stock '55-'59 steering gear box. And at the time I bought it from Golden State Pick Ups they told me it took three steering gear boxes to make one good one. The stock steering is sloppy when compared to rack and pinions or GM/Camaro/Monte Carlo steering gear. The stock turning radius on these trucks isn't good either, you can not make as tight a turn with the stock steering as you can with a rack & pinion. Depending on how wide the street is or misjudging a turn into a drive way you might have to back up then renegotiate your turn. People like trucks but maybe they don't want it to ride like a truck. Tell you what. You post pictures of your truck and show us how you would do it. Now lets say you put one of those massive power boosters and master cyl. up on the fire wall. I don't like that look but you know what, I aint going to say to you, "Why don't you mount it under the floor on the frame the way the stocks one came?" You know why ? It aint MY truck and I don't care, but I find it interesting how others go about installing it. And for those that like it stock, "more power to you", and those that like chop tops, " CUT BABY CUT" . And those that want to take a long bed and make it a short bed, ..."Wait, let me get my camera"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
bobinbc

To anyone who prefers a 100% stock truck, if stock is cool for you, then I'm ok with that. I appreciate stock too, "it's only original once". I'm NOT ok with anyone telling anyone how they should build their ride unless they ask for your opinion like the original poster. If I want advice or an opinion I'll ask for it, it's a guy thing hope you understand....

FWIW I build these trucks because I like the body style, plain and simple. Mechanically they are dinosaurs, and unlike some of the really GREAT builds I've seen on here, my builds use somewhat dated technology to update the chassis and safety features. Even so, they are WAYYY more safe, dependable, comfortable and driveable under modern driving conditions than a stocker and that's what I want. I drive my trucks in traffic around the city, on the freeway, and on the racetrack (where they must pass a strict safety inspection).

-edit-

BluTooth, good luck with your build. Subframe swaps, as mentioned above, are a good way to go too as long as the welding and fab are done properly.

Last edited by bobinbc; 02-05-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
GhostTown

I've done a Firebird clip on my truck, with a triangulated 4 bar in the rear end. While I'm happy as can be with the way my chassis has turned out, if I were to do it over again I would have done a MII set up in the front. The only reason why is because I think it looks cooler than cutting the stock frame up and adding a car clip. In the end, when the truck is all together and it's slammed to the ground, who the hell cares. But, I just like the MII's.

Staying with the stock set up is a nightmare if you want to drive it when you're done. At least when speaking of the Advance Design trucks.

You asked for opinions.... that's mine.

Last edited by GhostTown; 02-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Have a look around this site, pick what YOU like and build YOUR truck!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
oldcarfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
I've done a Firebird clip on my truck, with a triangulated 4 bar in the rear end. While I'm happy as can be with the way my chassis has turned out, if I were to do it over again I would have done a MII set up in the front. The only reason why is because I think it looks cooler than cutting the stock frame up and adding a car clip. In the end, when the truck is all together and it's slammed to the ground, who the hell cares. But, I just like the MII's.

Staying with the stock set up is a nightmare if you want to drive it when you're done. At least when speaking of the Advance Design trucks.

You asked for opinions.... that's mine.
MII for rack & pinion if nothing else!
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Fat Mike

I have pretty much no experience in building trucks and have almost completed a camaro clip and rear c-notch on my frame. I did not even know how to weld, so just read around and don't be afraid to do exactly what you want.

Last edited by Fat Mike; 02-06-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
BluTooth

thanks for the additional inputs. I guess it's time to stop cutting bait and fish.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
BluTooth

The first picture is how I got it and then some tear down pictures and the rebuilt 350 I am going to use.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
bobinbc

That looks like a good solid start, nice looking engine too. I don't think I've seen those overload springs on a half ton before....

The trans looks like a T-5, I wouldn't recommend that behind a built-up 350 if you plan to step on it hard...

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I agree, it looks like a very solid start. Good luck with her.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
sgtusmc

Not sure if the mounting points are the same on 57's. My 59 tin fit's really nice on a fullsize 88 frame, with VERY little fab work. So far it's been a lot easier that my 53/s10 swap. Let me know if I can help in any way.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
mr48chev

Although I have run a couple of subfra*es I would rather run a stock fra*e with different independent cross*e*ber on it. I don't know if anyone has tried a Jag front end on one but it could be worth looking into. One of the guys that has one on his AD truck could probably provide the *easure*ents to tell if it would fit the 55/59 trucks.

Take a look at post ten in this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414496
It looks like there is plenty of space between the A ar*s for your fra*e to fit an it would be easy to set the ride height a bit higher. You could possibly see the cross*e*ber (new keyboard on the way this week) hanging down below the truck fro* the front though.

Stock height trucks usually run taller tires too so that would help get it back up to close to stock height.

Last edited by mr48chev; 02-06-2011 at 08:49 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
BluTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
That looks like a good solid start, nice looking engine too. I don't think I've seen those overload springs on a half ton before....

The trans looks like a T-5, I wouldn't recommend that behind a built-up 350 if you plan to step on it hard...

You are right it is a T-5, I agree, I plan on putting a 700R4 behind it.

Last edited by BluTooth; 02-06-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Very nice looking truck to get started on!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
BluTooth

Would it be better to use the 73-87 frame which has a wheelbase of 117.5 or a 67-72 wheelbase that is 115? I think my original is 116.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
bobinbc

Wheelbase on your shortbox 57 is 114 inches. You can shorten the new frame wheelbase by remounting the rear spring hangers a little bit forward. It's not high tech but quick and easy, good for a dd. You'll have to get the driveshaft shortened and slightly tweak the rear brake line. My choice might be the older frame for the trailing arm rear suspension with disc brakes on the front but I haven't measured one so I'm not sure...

Last edited by bobinbc; 02-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
BluTooth

I have a lead on a 72 Chevy Truck rolling chassis. This wheelbase is 115 so this should work. It has disk brakes and 5 lug rotors. Any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Sounds like a plan!