The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #26
superwade57

Re: 87 SWB lowering advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG66 View Post
I guess if I go with a 4" front drop, I obtain 3" spindles and 1" coils?
correct me if im wrong but i believe that 3 in drop spindles will rub 15" rally wheels? there is a 2.5in spindle available tho
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #27
muthstryker

I just relized, on the passenger the white lettering is in. And on the drivers side they are out. Might want to have one of the sides swapped around.

I would do a 2.5" spindles, 2" springs, flip kit in the rear. You wont have to run a c- notch on the truck as long as you remove the bump stop/bump stop mount thats on the frame.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #28
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
I just relized, on the passenger the white lettering is in. And on the drivers side they are out. Might want to have one of the sides swapped around.
Taken 2 different days. Tires/wheels changed.
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
silvereagle07

Welcome from Spring Hope NC! I suggest doing a 4/6 with stock rallyes. I had that on my truck without a notch. Btw, nice looking trucks you have there.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #30
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
right cut half of the stock coil = 1inch of drop
A very good point was made to me when i was considering cutting vs just buying a drop spring. Its a very good possibility that you stock springs have already sagged an inch or so. So before you get a new spring you may want to measure yours from the LCA to the flat part of the spring bucket and compare it to factory specs before you decide on how much of a lowering spring to buy. I dont have the factory measurement but im sure its on the board somewhere.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #31
JAG66

Monte, I found your earlier post from stock to lowered. You installed 3" DJM spindles? Did you try on your stock 8" ralleys and note any lower A-arm to tire interference? I think I've decided I like the 3/5 DJM kit, but will be running stock 8" wheels.
Jeff
Old 02-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #32
1LowToy

Do your self a favor Don't gow with 3" beltechs with the 8" rallys. Yes you will have to trim and grind on the lower control arms. I'm grinding on mine now. An when I get done I'm going to pull the control arms off an beef them where I can. If I don't like how it's turning out, the 3" beltechs are gone. I have 255/60s and they are rubbin the LCA also on full turns. I may add a 1/4" to the turnstops on the LCA. It's a work in progress and then buy shocks.

Good luck.

Oh and a real nice find on that truck
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #33
f.monroe

2.5 Western Chassis spindles and original front springs with 4 inch drop leaf springs in the rear. No rubbing with a factory 15x8 Rally and it rode great. The wheels are 18" in the pic but I drove it to the alignment shop with the rallys on it .
By the way , I really like the Black 78 but I may be a little biased.
Frank
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #34
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Do your self a favor Don't gow with 3" beltechs with the 8" rallys. Yes you will have to trim and grind on the lower control arms. I'm grinding on mine now. An when I get done I'm going to pull the control arms off an beef them where I can. If I don't like how it's turning out, the 3" beltechs are gone. I have 255/60s and they are rubbin the LCA also on full turns. I may add a 1/4" to the turnstops on the LCA. It's a work in progress and then buy shocks.

Good luck.

Oh and a real nice find on that truck
I don't plan to use Bell Tech. I have used and like DJM and Western. I remember my DJM 2" spindles on my 78 and having to grind a little on the LCA. (They touched right at the inner wheel lip.) Was not a problem.
Just wondering if 3" DJM or Western would put the LCA closer to the buldging tire sidewall. Don't want to cut a tire!!
I have no problem with minimal grinding on the LCA, but don't want to take off too much metal.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #35
f.monroe

I never had a tire touch anything with the Western 2.5" spindles. I had a 255/60/15 on my 15x8 rallies which should have a little more bulge than the 255/70's due to the shorter sidewall. I think you can go with the Western spindles and not have to cut anything . The only difference between the 87 of yours and my 78 would be that mine had the heavy duty rotors and your 87 should have the light duty rotors. I am unaware if there is a track width difference between the two . If my Red 87 has Western spindles I may be able to bolt a rally on it . I can check the spindles for a brand since I didnt put those on . Is the Black 78 original paint or has it been restored?
Frank
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #36
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle07 View Post
Welcome from Spring Hope NC! I suggest doing a 4/6 with stock rallyes. I had that on my truck without a notch. Btw, nice looking trucks you have there.
Hey Man, right up I-95 from you. Do you have a profile picture of your truck with this setup and ralleys?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
I never had a tire touch anything with the Western 2.5" spindles. I had a 255/60/15 on my 15x8 rallies which should have a little more bulge than the 255/70's due to the shorter sidewall. I think you can go with the Western spindles and not have to cut anything . The only difference between the 87 of yours and my 78 would be that mine had the heavy duty rotors and your 87 should have the light duty rotors. I am unaware if there is a track width difference between the two . If my Red 87 has Western spindles I may be able to bolt a rally on it . I can check the spindles for a brand since I didnt put those on . Is the Black 78 original paint or has it been restored?
Frank
Love the clean tan 78! Stance is right too. Is there an advantage to drop rear leaf vs. shackle/hanger vs. flip kit? The black 78 was restored.
Jeff
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #38
SS Delux

monte0185 what is the overall height of your tire and rim combos front and back ?
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #39
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

HEY JAG..... WELCOME to the board Buddy... I'm glad to see you made your appearance!
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #40
f.monroe

Quote:
Love the clean tan 78! Stance is right too. Is there an advantage to drop rear leaf vs. shackle/hanger vs. flip kit? The black 78 was restored.
Jeff
I like drop leafs because there is absolutely no cutting required. If you do not mind cutting the bed cross braces and grinding the rivets from the front hangers then I think hangers/shackles is the best way to get a 4" drop. Otherwise the drop leafs offer a good comprimise. My 78 is still in original paint and interior and only 45,xxx miles so I didnt really want to chop it too much. Here it is before and after lowering. It has coils and Western 2.5 spindles and drop leafs and shackles in the rear. It is probably a 5/5 drop. I had 20 inch Intro Vista 5's on it but I bolted a set of 17" TT2's on it for now . It rides nice but I need to bring the front up 1" or the rear down 1".
Frank
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #41
f.monroe

Wow! Looking at the pics side by side shows just how crappy my camera is . I wish I still had the camera I took the first pics with . Time to go shopping.
Frank
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
silvereagle07

Quote:
Hey Man, right up I-95 from you. Do you have a profile picture of your truck with this setup and ralleys?
I'll have to get some more. My computer crashed recently and I lost the pics. My truck now sits at 6/8 with stock rallyes. I used to go to Goldsboro all the time when I was riding at Busco. I would get the wierdest looks pulling up on my shortbed with a Honda Rubicon with 14" wheels stuffed into the back of it.lol

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #43
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
HEY JAG..... WELCOME to the board Buddy... I'm glad to see you made your appearance!
Yeah Anthony, you got me fired up when I saw your white 87. I'm still in the planning stages for my black 87 and have a lot of questions. What's next for yours? Jeff
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #44
JAG66

Frank, Like your trucks! The bottom picture of the black 78 looks perfect with the TT 2's and slight forward rake. IMO, doesn't need adjusting. Did you have to trim your bed supports with the shackles? I did on my black 78 SWB 454.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Quote:
Yeah Anthony, you got me fired up when I saw your white 87. I'm still in the planning stages for my black 87 and have a lot of questions. What's next for yours? Jeff
I'm glad I was able to help you out some... you have a great start now... and all the trucks you sent me prior are all CLEAN and PERFECT... I would love to see more of those white ones that you had. As far as mine goes... not really much... I still kick around the idea of moving onto a classic car.

Anthony
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #46
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
I'm glad I was able to help you out some... you have a great start now... and all the trucks you sent me prior are all CLEAN and PERFECT... I would love to see more of those white ones that you had. As far as mine goes... not really much... I still kick around the idea of moving onto a classic car.

Anthony
Anthony, I'll try and get them moved from my other computer. They were both stock with no suspension mods. Still regret selling the white 87, had it perfect.
What kind of classic car you looking?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #47
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Quote:
Anthony, I'll try and get them moved from my other computer. They were both stock with no suspension mods. Still regret selling the white 87, had it perfect.
What kind of classic car you looking?
Something in the later 50's, 60's (impalla, chevelle, biscayne, dodge, etc). My dad has a 59' Dodge Coronet 2dr... I absolutely love that car... chrome and the big fins. I seen your corvettes... those are totally sweet man.

Anthony