The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Ideas!!!

Leonard,
What brand of nitrogen shocks are you using? I have been thinking about old fashioned air shocks in the back? You know, like Gabriel Hijackers. A friend told me they're not made anymore....but I could probably find some on Craigslist. Not for raising the rear, but for putting just enough air pressure to keep the rearend from hitting in all but the worst cases. The ride would be hard I suppose...but, as you say..."if you want the right stance..." Either that OR rear lowering springs (3") and ADD lowering blocks or remove leafs as needed to get down to where I want. This might give me a low stance without quite as bad a ride(?).

Then up front if I did a combo of a 3" or 4" dropped axle WITH lowering springs either from Posies or from one of the other vendors I might be abel to get where I want to go.

Leonard, do you have power steering? If so, what system did you use or did you piece together something yourself?

PS to Gordito: Thanks for the heads up, I'll go look at the LMC catalog and of course, I'll need to talk to Sid's and others about what I can do? ANyone know of a definitifve thread here on keeping the stright front axle and lowering complete with modifying the pitman arm, scrub angles, etc? I've searched and never found one.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #27
gordito56

Dan, i think i read somewhere that they don't recommend using the drop axle with lowering springs. I'm not sure why but you may want to look into it. I'm interested in your idea about using the rear lowering springs with lowering blocks. I wonder if it would be the same or not? All I know is leonards truck has a sick stance to it...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #28
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, the reason for not using lowering springs with a dropped axle is the scrub angle, if I understand it right. If you get a blow out at speed, you wouldn't be on the rim, instead your front axle would hit the pavement possibly dig in and cause you to flip - NOT a good thing, 'ya think? Of course I'd not go that low. Maybe I couldn't do it at all.

I'm just brainstorming ideas of how to lower my truck to where I want it (NOT super low - driveability problems) but low enough to improve the looks and still let me use it as a weekend, Home-Cheapo driver until later when I blow it all apart for final paint on some far off day.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordito56 View Post
57 3100, Yeah i understand what your saying about the rear end hitting. I also got the pics you sent, DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your truck is sweet! That thing is super clean man, good job. What engine and trans are you running? Are you running original rear end, if so what did you do to convert it to five hole? I can't see the pic you posted on the thread but i would like to see some more pics, that truck is bad...thanks

Dan i seen some lowering springs for the rear on lmc for like 400 i think but i want to say they were only 3 inches.
thanks man... its a decent truck, not perfect thats for sure.
the engine, trans, and rear are from a 1980 c-10 full size chevy truck. 350 with a mild cam and th350 trans. 5x5 rear lug pattern with about a 2.80 ring and pinion. just a cruiser, nothing fast. cant afford to break parts.
its a shame you cant see the pics on photobucket.... it takes me a while to send you pics... i need a newer computer. LOL.
take care..

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #30
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 3100 View Post
....its a shame you cant see the pics on photobucket....

leonard
I can see them, and I've looked 'em over a couple of time each. How long have you had your truck and did you have it painted? What color name is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like "Doetsch" shocks in some photos and KYB Gas-Adjust in others. Which are current? I've really got to get mine down out of the clouds.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #31
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I can see them, and I've looked 'em over a couple of time each. How long have you had your truck and did you have it painted? What color name is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like "Doetsch" shocks in some photos and KYB Gas-Adjust in others. Which are current? I've really got to get mine down out of the clouds.
oh, ok... i must have been someone else on here that cant see them. LOL. im getting everyone mixed up.....
i have had my truck since feb or march 2008. it was already painted and had the motor and trans in it, but i did all the suspension work, power brakes, redid the seat and some of the interior, wheels and tires.... someone told me the color was some sort of turquois, cant remember the rest of the name, but when i ordered a pint of that color, to paint my wiper valance, it didnt match.... not sure what color it is, but back in the late 70's i had a 70 mustang and painted it ford grabber blue, and it looks very close to it..

i have always had doetsch shocks all the way around, but when i was messing with remounting the rear shocks to vertical, i got out an old, new set of the white kyb shocks just for testing, they were too long, then i tried a set of gabriels for the rear, trying to save some money, but they were too soft, so i got the correct length doetsch nitro slammers for the rear and got them all the way around once again. i swear by them shocks for these low trucks.
lower your truck.... you will be happy... at least i was...
take care, and talk to you soon.

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote