The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
Fatkid1983

Re: SAD day for a 72 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean anything personal. I just get tired of old cars and trucks getting crushed at the warp speed because the price is so high right now.
Also, there are a few guys near me that have turned their yards into scrap yards, every few months the crusher comes to them.

One guy crushed a pretty salvageable 68 a while back. I thought he was saving it, next thing I know it was flat as a pancake on the back of a semi.
I would have tried to buy it if I had known it was going that route.

Back when they had the cash for clunker deal, there were tons of good running old trucks crushed too. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.....
No offence takin, I understand that frustration. I see it every single day.

And please don't get me started on cash for clunkers! I've hauled nicer cars to be crushed for CC then ill probably ever own! What a shame
Posted via Mobile Device
NorthWest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Fatkid1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The sucky part is... even the scrap yard coulda put it out front with a FOR SALE sign on it, and got cash for the exact amount of money they'll get from the scrap.

Then at least it could go to someone that wants it. For at least the parts... cripes!

Gary
More like at least double
Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Thats a shame, but the reality is this, if they let people in to pull parts than there is liabilities if someone got hurt, also they would then need a license to sell parts to the public. As far as selling whole, then they would need a dealers license and hope they have titles for the vehicles that come in. Why would they mess around with all that when that truck pictured is probably close to $1000 to them after parting/crushing. Don't get me wrong, i don't support it, its just the way it is.
Well,there's no liability in parking it out front for a week or two and selling it whole for someone to part,restore,fix & drive,or whatever. Anyone in the business with any business sense should see the profit in that. You don't have to like these trucks to save them. Just need to want more money. It's probably about $500 in scrap. I've never known a scarp yard to worry about doing everything legitimate.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #28
lap15

^I agree . Someone would have given cold hard cash for that truck and saved it. Even without a title I would fix that up just to use on my property.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
More like at least double

Well,there's no liability in parking it out front for a week or two and selling it whole for someone to part,restore,fix & drive,or whatever. Anyone in the business with any business sense should see the profit in that. You don't have to like these trucks to save them. Just need to want more money. It's probably about $500 in scrap. I've never known a scarp yard to worry about doing everything legitimate.
That is true, but how can they pick and choose which vehicles go out front for sale and who deals with those sales? I am good friends with the guy that owns the recycling yard in this area and he won't save much for anyone. No room, no time, and alot of people don't want to pay anything for parts since they are "junk" already. Trust me, he makes more keeping the crushing line going than selling a $20 item here and there. Scrap is almost $200/ton here right now and that truck should go 5,000lbs i would guess. That would be $500 my price. I would guess he gets 1/3 again more than what i get. Plus it would have a good, heavy radiator, battery, starter, alternator etc that would by scrapped seperatly.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

I was talking more like...Let's say I had a scrap yard. I would get to know who was into what. When a certain type of vehicle came in,like a complete K/20,I'd call my buddy to come and get it. He would know it's hustle down and get it gone or it gets crushed. I would make more money that way.
I understand you need to be set up for picking parts,in more ways that one. A scrap yard is supposed to be the next step "after" the junk yard,where the good parts would have been removed and it's whatever is left. These days fools take complete vehicles straight to scrap. We are selling off our good stuff (and even pieces of history) to a foreign country,that has our manufacturing jobs now,so they can sell us back cheap products,much of which we don't really need.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #31
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

I have a guy at work with a 71 lwb A/C with a running 350/350 in it and I think I am going to buy it because he is about to scrap it. I really do not want or need another truck but I cannot stand to see it get crushed.

PT
94 SILVERADO SWB 5/7 drop
2000 Silverado swb
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 (Surprisingly very fast)
2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
BATESBURG, SC. 29006
Some of my restorations
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/thu...NAME=snapfish/
Restored Tach tins 8 cyl - 6 cyl
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518185
Contact info(Not my paypal address) DAWGSFAN227@YAHOO.COM

God Bless Our Troops
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
96blazr

Gentleman, I'm reminded of a post I saw here once and it's always stuck with me:

YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL.

And that's just the way it is.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #33
KrazyRay

There's a lot of states that have rules about vehicle abatement. It has to be crushed and if the vin ever hits the road again, its huge trouble for the scrap yard. That being said, I have a deal with a tow company that trusts me to take the truck for a week and extract any parts not containing a vin and then take it to the crusher.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
Bert W

I didn't know scrap was so high. I have dealt with a scrapper only once in my life. I replaced the rusted out bed on my 64 Chevy and took it to the scrap yard. The whole bed w/fenders netted me $2.20. My buddy and I left the scrap yard and stopped at a Stop-N-Rob that had longnecks for a dollar.
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
Gentleman, I'm reminded of a post I saw here once and it's always stuck with me:

YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL.

This is soooooo true... but damn it's painful to watch!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
CC69Rat

Yep, My Pop chased a rollback into the Scrapyard once. It had an original 69 Camaro SS Big Block car (blacked out tail panel) with no rear end housing, just two old steel wheels on the front. Maroon, black vynil top. It said it looked like it had been under a tree for years and someone drug it up on the roll back.

By the time he could get to the guy that ran the place, he said he heard / saw the forklift run through the passenger door and put it into the crusher.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #37
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:

YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL.

Sad but true.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:

YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL.

Yeah but you have to try! Think about it this way, would you like for you doctor to have that motto?

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #39
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I was talking more like...Let's say I had a scrap yard. I would get to know who was into what. When a certain type of vehicle came in,like a complete K/20,I'd call my buddy to come and get it. He would know it's hustle down and get it gone or it gets crushed. I would make more money that way.
The problem with this is, you would have to know someone into every kind of car made. If a Pinto came in, you probably wouldn't sweat crushing it, because who likes Pintos? And then somewhere on the world wide web sombody on a Pinto forum would be posting a pic of it going to the scrapper, all the while telling anyone who will listen, just how stupid the scrapyard owner is. It sucks, but that's life, and like the others have said, you can't save them all.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #40
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
The problem with this is, you would have to know someone into every kind of car made. If a Pinto came in, you probably wouldn't sweat crushing it, because who likes Pintos? And then somewhere on the world wide web sombody on a Pinto forum would be posting a pic of it going to the scrapper, all the while telling anyone who will listen, just how stupid the scrapyard owner is. It sucks, but that's life, and like the others have said, you can't save them all.
Exactly. Most scrap yards or metal recyclers want to see $$$ Not whiney gear heads. Cause they are guaranteed money from the metal buyers after it's processed and they get the run around from the whiney gear head. It does suck, but that's just the way it is.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #41
leddzepp

I watch this happen all the time....just try to get what you can off of them before they are crushed.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
If I had a scrap yard,I would know the guys who wanted what,like I said. I pretty much do now. And,you're wrong about Pintos. There are lots of people who want those,too. Maybe you didn't know that,but who by now doesn't know how popular 67-72 GM Trucks are. I mean,you are into them and so are tens of thousands of members here who never gave them a thought at one time.
Like I said,a guy knows he has to go and get it like now or it's crushed. That's how all good car deals work. How is that a hassle for a scrapper? And,you'll have it gone with double the money in hand faster than the traceable check from the scrap buyer. I'm just sayin',it makes sense to me. Sure,there are impounded vehicles and ones with stipulations with titled having to be terminated. There's your can't save them all. The system of make waste to make money is a failed concept and one that is hurting this country. It doesn't make sense to throw away money. The guy who hauled that truck in could have made an extra $100 or more by removing that dash (before getting to the yard) in the time it takes to eat a donut. It would have taken less than $1 off the scrap value. That's making money the way I see it.

Tim

Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #43
lap15

Yeah...WE can't save them all....but WEare sure gonna try!!! I really didn't need my truck but I felt I had to save it and the only reason I now own a '68 C30 dually is because the PO was about to send it to the scrap yard but I talked him into selling it to me instead for $350. And...for an extra $50 he even brought it to my house! Special-K is 100% dead on! We scrap our proud american vehicles that we all grew up with and ship the pieces overseas so that they can make absolute garbage products that we in turn buy back because it's cheap. I try to hold on to everything "old" and american made even though I may not have a use for it right now because it's cool to look at and talk about.

Last edited by lap15; 06-01-2012 at 10:10 PM.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #44
Hubscrub
Cruzin

we can always buy a kit car to build i hate to see anything of value junked, even pintos around here are desirable they make good dirt track cars

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #45
dan42

In looking at that pile of scrap there appears to be a lot of old American iron. There's a '54/55 truck in there, and a couple of 60's vehicles as well.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #46
ls1nova71

I used the Pinto reference to get the point across that not EVERYBODY knows what people are into. I know people who are into Pintos, but also know others that can't fathom that someone would put money into one of them.

Sure WE all know how popular these trucks are, but the truth of the matter is there are more people who truely don't know. If you were not into these trucks, do you think your grandmother would know how popular these trucks are? I seriously doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #47
leddzepp

Quote:
Sure WE all know how popular these trucks are, but the truth of the matter is there are more people who truely don't know. Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100%....if everybody DID know there wouldn't be so many deals out there on craigslist

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #48
sir_talk_alot

yea, it makes me sick to see. i lost the opportunity on one because a guy was just too lazy. and a jerk. he has a long bed, in workable shape, no motor, no trans. he wanted to scrap it, i had a pile of scrap that i had been collecting, as i get rid of projects, or help people move, any metal i hold just for the extra gas money every couple of months. so i told him i would give him all my scrap metal in exchange for the truck. i would haul it over there, unload it and get the truck. he said nah, i just want to haul the truck. so he hauled the truck, i hauled my metal. he got around 250 cash for the truck......i got more for my pile, dont understand how people dont care that others want something to fix, and will buy it and use it. not waste it.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Well,I disagree. I think more people know these trucks are desirable than not. It is proven everyday by listings on Ebay by people who know squat about them and only know how many people out there want them. They are at the top of the list of all time popular vehicles. My grandmother,if she was alive,wouldn't know anything about any vehicle,but "anyone" in "any" business remotely related to automotive certainly knows the popularity of these trucks. Diehard Ford and Mopar guys know about these trucks.
One thing I do know for certain,and you really can't say that for much of anything in this world,is there will always be at least two points of view on any matter. It's human nature and that's all there is to it. I see it how I do and some see it another way. I'll stick to what I believe and they can stick to what they believe. I think it takes a pure idiot to scrap a complete desirable vehicle for half or worse of what it's quick sale value is.You put that truck on Craigslist for $1,000 and it would be gone but quick. I only use the money reference so all those only motivated by money can relate. I am a man of conscience and passion and am motivated more by that than money. The things I love have always become worth more money in time,mostly because most fools threw theirs away a long time ago.

Tim

Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #50
1972RedNeck

Quote:
YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL.

But you can die tryin'.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote