The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
jocko

Re: Ebay Deal? SWB Restored $12k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Could be that it is a clone Cheyenne Super that someone put on a 115 wb frame? I would pay 12k anyday for a nice restored truck, clone or no clone as long as the seller is being homest about what it started out as. My truck is a clone, it's not a Cheyenne, or even a super, or even a SWB, or even a 4wd. But as far as i'm concerned it is worth every bit of 15K or even higher. So, say a truck like mine that started out as a basic C/10 Custom LWB, and now I have taken my cab and an actual short wide bed and sat it all on a 115wb 4x4 frame, does that not make it a 4x4 SWB? Nothing has been cut, and I added the Cheyenne Super badges simply because I like the Supers. Does that really take alot away from the value? If I were ever to part with my truck I would definitely pass on the info that the truck is not a real Super, and that it is a "built" SWB 4x4. I guess what I am saying is that a truck like that with the right amount of restoration in my opinion is still worth what he is asking.
Gene - I agree completely, and that is why I mention I think this little truck is well worth it, regardless of whether or not it were a clone, lwb convert, or whatever. But you hit on the key point - YOU'D tell the seller openly whatever you did. I'm with Jonathan, as soon as a suspect fish, I don't even bother digging deeper. Even if I was looking for a clone, perfectly happy with a clone, didn't care one way or the other and thought the truck was worth more than what was asked - if I think I seller is being less than truthful, I just don't want the hassle. But I agree completely with you - it's 100% cool to build a truck however you want and enjoy it. And when someone is honest when he/she passes it along to the next owner, it's all good.

But this particular seller is adamant that it's an original cheyenne super and an uncut swb. So, is it a frame transplant without being cut - nope, SPID says 127". Is it a cab swap from a LWB onto a SWB? Maybe. But that's 2 too many no's and maybe's for me because the owner just won't bother to divulge the truth. I know sometimes folks don't know everything about their trucks - but the more I think about it, I don't doubt for a second that this guy knows exactly what I was asking about when I referenced the 127" wheelbase. If he were selling it with up front comms about why there is a 127" wheelbase SPID, it'd probably be sold already because it really is a good deal.

Meanwhile, it kinda saddens me that the term "clone" which was normally reserved for COPO Camaros and such is now associated with our old basic trucks just kills me. Barrett Jackson's revenge.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
cardreams

i have talked to the owner and iam looking at getting this truck will post pics of the frame when i get them he seem very up front with me iam sure he just doesnt no its not a real super
cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
jocko

good luck on the bid, it's a very nice looking truck. Were you able to get a satisfactory explanation on the SPID's wheelbase (127") being at odds with the truck's current wheelbase (115")?

The SPID actually says Super - but it also says 127". When I asked the owner, he said it was an original Super - and that it was not a LWB converted to a SWB. So, good on you for doing your homework. I'm not sure the only thing going on here is that he doesn't know for sure if he has a Super - the wheelbase issue is one I'd want answered before buying. Once you know if it's been shortened - or if it's a frame + shortbed (or shortened longbed) swap, you can know what you're getting.

Personally, I'd want to know the VIN on the metal tag and the frame (and compare them to the SPID) just to be able to figure out the truck's path to shortness.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
otsenre

This was a 71 K10, I had a 72 C10 cheyenne super longbed pickup. I swaped cabs and front clip and painted the bed to match scheme. What is this considered now? Name:  IMG_3387.JPG
Views: 2031
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3395.JPG
Views: 747
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3397.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  62.7 KB
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #30
ole dollor

man that is a nice truck, and i agree with jocko,and others that it may not be what it is.....i am glad we have members that question when something just don't smell right....and work together to tell each other when to take a closer look....kinda like having a whole bunch of best friends all over the great U.S.A .....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsenre View Post
This was a 71 K10, I had a 72 C10 cheyenne super longbed pickup. I swaped cabs and front clip and painted the bed to match scheme. What is this considered now?
Nice truck! I'd consider that a cheyenne super 4x4 "clone". Worth the same to me as if it's real but some want the documentation to match...

CSM makes 60K "clones" so they can be valuable....just need to be advertised as such....not passed off as originals if they aren't
Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
cardreams

i have a question the resto trucks on bags and have biger rims on them they are not originals but they seem to be getting more money then the stock look does it really mater if its a real cheyenne super
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
jocko

Quote:
This was a 71 K10, I had a 72 C10 cheyenne super longbed pickup. I swaped cabs and front clip and painted the bed to match scheme. What is this considered now?
Your truck is gorgeous otsenre! You pose a great question and a great way to frame this thread...
I'd call it a "72 Cheyenne Super C10 LWB with a 71 K10 SWB chassis under it. And the original bed from the SWB" (Or, as VA72C10 put it, a 72 Cheyenne Super SWB K10 clone")
I would not call it a "72 Cheyenne Super K10."
I'll assume a matching SPID and metal VIN tag on the cab (that will show it as a C10) and a non-matching frame VIN stamping - and that's no big deal (in most states).

But, now to the heart of the matter - how would you list it on ebay if you were selling it? "All original, never touched, 72 Cheyenne Super K10"?? Just kidding - I'm sure you wouldn't do that. But if you did, there would likely be a similar thread about your ad - because there would be conflicting information on the truck such as a "C" VIN when the truck is clearly on a "K" chassis, etc. And that is just fine UNLESS you are trying to sell it as an "All original, never touched, 72 Cheyenne Super K10"

That, in a nutshell, is the case here - the seller of this truck clearly stated to me and others that this is an original Cheyenne Super that has never been cut or mucked with. Sooooo..... that's clearly not the case since it has a 127" wheelbase note on the SPID and a 127" wheelbase model number on the SPID. The seller was absolutely insistent to me about the originality and un-modified status of the super-ness and the frame, etc.

So, just to be clear, my posts are not about what someone may or may not have done to their truck along the way - there's nothing wrong with a clone, hybrid, parts swaps, combos, etc (in my mind) - unless when one goes to sell it and pass it off as though it came off the assembly line that way (clearly for the purpose of selling it for a higher price because it WOULD be worth more than if the seller was honest about the origins of the truck). If a seller is honest, then no problems with any mods. It is also possible, as mentioend above, that this seller simply has no idea what he has - but since the 127" wheelbase question was posed directly to him, and he insists it's an original shortie, well, something is clearly amiss.

To PAW's comment, the goal here is not to nit-pick someone's truck, that swb truck is awesome and the price is very good NO MATTER WHAT ITS HISTORY - the point is that the odds are high that a member is looking at this truck since we're all truck nuts on here. For example, if I was looking for a truck like the super swb in the ad and was all excited because it was "all original" but at the same time didn't know that a swb truck SPID should show a 115" wheelbase - I'd be appreciative of the help someone offered so I could make my decision eyes wide open.

Last edited by jocko; 08-12-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #34
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardreams View Post
i have a question the resto trucks on bags and have biger rims on them they are not originals but they seem to be getting more money then the stock look does it really mater if its a real cheyenne super
yes, it does matter, in my opinion. An all original Cheyenne Super in the same condition as a cloned Cheyenne Super is worth more (thus the motivation for some folks to clone when they are flipping vehicles - they may be doing it solely to get more $). Some folks clone them because they would simply rather have a Cheyenne Super than a Custom 10 personally, and that's perfectly FINE - as VA72C10 pointed out, the issue is honesty in advertising when it comes time to sell it.

As for the steamroller tire cars - a lot of the price you are seeing is because a LOT of money went into them, Porterbilt dropmembers, 4 wheel disks, etc etc (and the wheels themselves aren't cheap either). So many of those beautiful trucks are WORTH what they are going for - big bucks. So, if someone likes that style of hot rod truck, then yes it is worth that price.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
cardreams

ok got ya thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:

The is happening on cars - early Corvettes with late model suspension and LS engines are capable of fetching more money than numbers matching originals. People love the style of the old cars but want the modern stuff too.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
The is happening on cars - early Corvettes with late model suspension and LS engines are capable of fetching more money than numbers matching originals. People love the style of the old cars but want the modern stuff too.
Yep...best of both worlds.

Looks like the truck on Ebay sold...at least the seller ended the auction

Here is another beauty : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...49083640985585

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
PHAT TONY

Quote:
i have talked to the owner and iam looking at getting this truck will post pics of the frame when i get them he seem very up front with me iam sure he just doesnt no its not a real super
Did you buy it?
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
70cst

Guys...

I just want to commend you all for keeping this an open and informative thread. To many times these threads end up in a bash fest which does nobody any good.

Its refreshing to see a thread like this where all involved are discussing an issue that affects or can affect all of us.

I think its a sweet truck for the money but...if I was looking for an original truck than that's what I would want to spend my money on. If not being original was no big deal...than this would be a good buy from what I can see.

Original or Clone or Enhanced...they all have a place on these forums.

JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
Gene

Quote:
I consider that a very nice truck! Here's mine, it started as a 71 C/10 Longbed, and I sat it on a 115 WB 4x4 chassis, and added Super Badges. I consider it a real 4wd shortbed, no difference than someone who takes a truck and switches cabs, although the V.I.N. states it's a C/10 127 WB. I would never misrepresent the truck as coming from the factory this way though.
Attached Images

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
otsenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I consider that a very nice truck! Here's mine, it started as a 71 C/10 Longbed, and I sat it on a 115 WB 4x4 chassis, and added Super Badges. I consider it a real 4wd shortbed, no difference than someone who takes a truck and switches cabs, although the V.I.N. states it's a C/10 127 WB. I would never misrepresent the truck as coming from the factory this way though.
very nice! I have titles for both trucks, and since the frame matches the 71 VIN, I am thinking of using the VIN tag off the 71. Will I run into trouble?
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
big_al_71

Quote:

resto mod vehicles are REALLY popular and bring all the money specially in south florida..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
cardreams

ok guys i think i got it now lol the clove box door has been changed its black where it should be yellow as well as the vin does not match the vin he gave me is CCE142S203712 and that not the same on the SPID so your right its probably not a super

IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/buffnglow/gloveboxtag1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #44
cardreams

IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/buffnglow/gloveboxtag1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
cardreams

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #46
jocko

Glove box doors could be black on non-black trucks. A few threads on here before about that - think it was prod plant dependent, but based on the previous discussions and the fact that we've seen quite a few that way, that's not really a big thing to prove or disprove whether or not it came on the truck. But the VIN thing...

When you say the SPID VIN doesn't match the "one he gave you" - what do you mean?
Aside from what's happened here and what was not really disclosed by the seller - do you know yet if your riveted metal VIN tag matches the title? That would probably be the most important cross-check in my mind - but if DMV looks much closer, you might get a ration of crap. Who knows. Then again, Canadian registration stuff may be totally different from the mess we're used to down in Cali...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #47
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
very nice! I have titles for both trucks, and since the frame matches the 71 VIN, I am thinking of using the VIN tag off the 71. Will I run into trouble?
I would contact your local DMV. Here in Washington, they meld the two vehicle's titles into
one new title, including restamping the frame.

Your method, if not done through proper channels, is generally quite illegal.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #48
Gene

Quote:
I'm using my cab v.I.n. because that's what my title shows, although Oklahoma isn't as strict as many other states.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #49
jocko

Yep - and that is the most "proveable" one to use. If it came down to it, I would think the cab VIN would supercede frame and/or SPID. In fact, while the SPID helps "us", I doubt DMV could really care since they can be re-printed. Riveted cab tag is really the only "permanent" record.

More importantly, it's the FIRST, and most likely, the ONLY plave DMV will look. So, those are the two VINs I'd want to match - riveted cab tag and title.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #50
cardreams

hey guys what do you mean about the cheyenne super being in the wroung place on the truck ?????