The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
frog210

Re: Attempting the "$50 paint job"

There rolling the paint on, i didnt see them saying rattle cans
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
Squareforceone

[QUOTE=Firebirdjones;5571670]You guys do realize that rattle cans have no hardeners in the paint,,,,it will scratch and chip extremely easy,,,and has no real UV resistance either. It will fade within a month or two of being in the sun.

You know i have to agree with you on this... I don't understand it rustoelum will look good but fade quickly... for about the same price you can buy tractor paint with hardener and for a little more you could buy some clear coat for it, if i was going to do a cheap paint job thats what i would do.

Btw, I'm not trying to offend anyone, just saying what i would do if i was on a budget.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #28
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
You guys do realize that rattle cans have no hardeners in the paint,,,,it will scratch and chip extremely easy,,,and has no real UV resistance either. It will fade within a month or two of being in the sun.

I take it this is just a beater?

sun in the PNW?

mine's a beater... I woulda spent the money on a cheap single stage but the po took a grinder to the body... then decided to spray bomb it after.. i ain't fixin' that crap! lol
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #29
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
You guys do realize that rattle cans have no hardeners in the paint,,,,it will scratch and chip extremely easy,,,and has no real UV resistance either. It will fade within a month or two of being in the sun.

I take it this is just a beater?
I'm not trying to start a argument or a feud, but what your saying is only useful if someone plans to halfway do any paint job. Regardless of how either paintjob is done, whether it is professional, rattle can, or roll on none of the paints actually harden to keep from scratching or chipping by themselves. Usually for a paint to harden you would need to add the clearcoat to get the paint to harden and keep from easily scratching or chipping. Regardless of what paint you are using it will always be soft.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #30
irishman999

[quote=Squareforceone;5571683]
Quote:

You know i have to agree with you on this... I don't understand it rustoelum will look good but fade quickly... for about the same price you can buy tractor paint with hardener and for a little more you could buy some clear coat for it, if i was going to do a cheap paint job thats what i would do.

Btw, I'm not trying to offend anyone, just saying what i would do if i was on a budget.
In the case of my daily driver, I could afford an air compressor that could manage to get some tractor paint sprayed onto my truck. The compressor I need is more than I can afford right now so I wont waste money on one to get by with so I have no compressed air. What I did have was a ****ty looking daily driver I have been working on, 100 bucks and a weekend to kill. Nothing wrong with a spray bomb paint job to get by!

I think chalky white spray paint looks better than this ****.

irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
tylervalo

It is just a beater, something to drive on weekends and play with. Read up on this website though: http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
A guy using the same paint and technique I am on a Corvair, 3yrs later and still looking good. I am sorta planning on shooting a clear over it about 2 months or so after I finish.
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
I'm not trying to start a argument or a feud, but what your saying is only useful if someone plans to halfway do any paint job. Regardless of how either paintjob is done, whether it is professional, rattle can, or roll on none of the paints actually harden to keep from scratching or chipping by themselves. Usually for a paint to harden you would need to add the clearcoat to get the paint to harden and keep from easily scratching or chipping. Regardless of what paint you are using it will always be soft.
I kindly have to say not correct. There are hardeners added to even your most simple single stage paints. A 2 stage system with a clear isn't going to be any harder than a single stage system, just a different process with different results in appearance. This is just putting things in simple terms as it gets much more involved than that when you break down the brands.

Stuff in a rattle can does not have any hardeners at all in it, hence the reason I mentioned it's just not durable enough for an outside finish that is subject to the elements.

I paint cars for a living
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Firebirdjones

[quote=irishman999;5571790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareforceone View Post

In the case of my daily driver, I could afford an air compressor that could manage to get some tractor paint sprayed onto my truck. The compressor I need is more than I can afford right now so I wont waste money on one to get by with so I have no compressed air. What I did have was a ****ty looking daily driver I have been working on, 100 bucks and a weekend to kill. Nothing wrong with a spray bomb paint job to get by!

I think chalky white spray paint looks better than this ****.

I'd rather have the weathered patina look than a spray bomb job. But if it works for ya that's all that matters I guess.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
sun in the PNW?

mine's a beater... I woulda spent the money on a cheap single stage but the po took a grinder to the body... then decided to spray bomb it after.. i ain't fixin' that crap! lol
I see,,,sounds like it would have been too much money to get the thing in paintable shape. Understandable if it's a beater.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
I kindly have to say not correct. There are hardeners added to even your most simple single stage paints. A 2 stage system with a clear isn't going to be any harder than a single stage system, just a different process with different results in appearance. This is just putting things in simple terms as it gets much more involved than that when you break down the brands.

Stuff in a rattle can does not have any hardeners at all in it, hence the reason I mentioned it's just not durable enough for an outside finish that is subject to the elements.

I paint cars for a living
I must have typed that wrong, what I was getting at was that most paints alone will end up being soft without a clearcoat added to it.
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #36
JRANGER

its looking great!!! I was originally going to do the same thing but they didnt have satin black... So i have Blitz Black from John Deere to spray on
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
JRANGER

You guys also have to remember this isnt "Rattle Can" Paint... Its enamel.... So its rather different then your duplicolor etc
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
Firebirdjones

Um,,,,,,okay.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
JRANGER

aka meaning....it last a lot longer...has a shine to it without clear coat as long as you do a nice wet sand/rubbing compound when you finish....Just have to be a little more patient
Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Firebirdjones

Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #41
JRANGER

lol and save lots of money
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
lol and save lots of money
Yeah I can understand that part, he said it was a beater and spending $5k or more for a decent paint job wouldn't make sense on something you are going to drive and haul everyday.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #43
JRANGER

I know a guy on here that uses it on all his trucks and says it looks great....Just not show quality.....Now im never going to show my truck and yeah its a bit of a beater but eve if it was a daily driver i would still do this
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #44
JRANGER

here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503247

Scroll down until you see the blue truck...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #45
Firebirdjones

Gotta hand it to these guys for being creative and working with what ya got though.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #46
Car'n'Guitars

Firebirdjones if you believe what I am saying to still be wrong, then they are teaching us wrong information in our auto refinishing class.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #47
ol_skool_chevy

mine was done in Rusto 2 times cover

53 dollars..........
Attached Images

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #48
cory d

i want to try this before the summer ends
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #49
Lowered13

What kind of roller are you useing to paint the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lowered13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'n'Guitars View Post
Firebirdjones if you believe what I am saying to still be wrong, then they are teaching us wrong information in our auto refinishing class.
If your auto refinish class is telling you a single stage enamel is a soft paint then yes...

Clear coat is no harder than a single stage enamel. It may be more resistant to UV rays and can have a deeper shine/better appearance, but it won't be any more durable to scratches. Been doing this stuff for 30 years,,,paints have changed alot, especially in the last 15 years, even 5 years.

Now if you get into your cheap off brand paints like Omni for instance (an off brand of PPG) of course quality and durability suffers. You want to spend some real money for Sikkens and a top quality finish,,,well....It's all relative...