The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
jayoldschool

Re: Did I just buy the wrong hubcaps?

Yep, those look perfect!
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
hop sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Yeah - I'd recommend going ahead and getting stock wheels so you can use your caps (and other caps if you like) rather than trying to get caps for your clip wheels.

However, consider whether or not you ever plan to do a disk brake swap - because pre-71 6 luggers do not clear disks. If yes to the latter, you'll want 71-87 K10 or K5 (1/2 ton 4x4) steelies (assuming you want to retain 6 lug on the front because you'll still have em on the back and I always hated the idea of needing 2 spares if I mixed em 5/6 lug front/rear).
man i am glad this came up never new about pre 71 6lug rims not working with disc brakes almost made a bad buy thx bruddah ,,is the clearance issue extreme on caliper to rim contact ? can caliper be trimmed down ? thx again hop
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
jocko

hop sing, I personally would not trim a caliper. Strength issue if you grind too much - the material there is built to absorb the pressure felt when clamped by the fluid - mechanically, the top curve - starting at the inner crotch between the top and side - would be the weak point - and you'd be grinding on the outer side of that exact spot, narrowing the cross-sectional area. Might not be a big deal if you only grind a very little bit, but I wouldn't, again - just me.

The interference occurs between the taper on the inside of the pre-71 6 lug wheels and the caliper. The 71+ K10 wheels have a more direct drop from rim edge back to wheel center vice the 45-ish degree taper of the wheel. Sorry, but I don't know how extreme the interference is - so not really able to let you know how much you'd need to grind off a caliper if you chose to do that. Could always experiment with a junkyard version of the same caliper on and see how it goes with fitment, but it might just be easier to get the 71+ wheels. Another option is to get a 5 lug conversion and then you can use stock 71+ 5 lug C10 wheels which are MUCH more plentiful than the K10 wheels. Keep in mind, if you do the 5 lug conversion, you can probably absorb the front wheel converison cost by buying a 5-lug conversion disk brake kit (if you're installing drop spindles in the process) but don't forget to consider the rear axle 5 lug conversion kit as well - would suck to have to carry around both a 5 and 6 lug spare tire....

simplest solution is to start a search for some 71+ K5/10 wheels. Or could perhaps experiment with a junk caliper for a grinding experiment if you're using factory parts and your stock 15x5.5 steelies.

Markeb01 posted a great pic on here somewhere that showed exactly the interference spot on the rim - and the taper is obvious. Also - someone else on here may know how much interference there is between a stock pre-71 6 lug wheel and a caliper, that would help you decide which way to go.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote