The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
paintman

Re: How do i get "the right sound" from a 292?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 292 View Post
Good question! I honestly don't know since that's the motor that came with the truck when we bought it. Someone went through it before we did but I wasn't aware that it had a different water pump on it. The number on the block is 1970 which someone told me is a block from 64-66 (can anyone confirm that?). Should I pick up a proper water pump for it?

And thanks for the responses guys. That was a cold start so the idle will usually settle down after a while and get a little mild cam idle sound going to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The reason I originally asked about your pump was because I had the same problem with my 292. When I bought it, I had know idea the pumps where different until I seen post 122 of this page http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=457465&page=5 if you notice, not only is the pump different but the thermostat housing is as well.
I inquired about the different styles of pumps over on inliners.org and was told by some that the 292 needs the bigger pump to keep it cool. Tom Lowe was the only one who said that you can get away with a 250 pump. He seemed to think that the 292 pump is only needed when the motor is used in farm applications or heavy hauling. While others disagreed and seemed to think the bigger pump is necessary especially if the motor is over bored. I ended up going the extra mile and found the proper T'stat housing on ebay and got a high flow 292 pump from Flowkooler.com.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote