The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Chance72

Re: TRUCKS Faux-tina Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
I did my fake patina paint job with a little chemical to create rust!
I saw your thread about the chemicals, something with iron rght? I thought about doing that but I figured Id give this a try first, if it does come out nice Im probably gonna spray it with a rattle can and try the chemical process. But hope this turns out as nice as TRUCKS!
Chance72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Rusbuilt

Take your time! If you do it and you don't like how it looks just sand some more... Or and more paint and sand more! lol
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #28
Chance72

Heres a before picture of the truck, around the day I got it... Im gonna do a before and after photo when its all done
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
chvtrkman

That series of episodes on TRUCKS! was from last season...I thought they did a fair job of replicating natural patina.If memory serves me correctly Kevin,the host of the show emphasized that if you like the patina "look",you would have to wait 25-30 yrs. to get it naturally. Their purpose in doing a "fauxtina' paint job was to give the truck enthusiast an option for creating 30 or so years of fade and oxidation that looks somewhat close to authentic patina..
Looks like you're off to a good start. I would suggest trying some different variations of color/texture on some scrap metal first to get the "look" you want. You never know,you might hit on something that works better for the look you are trying to achieve.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
JOJABOY

jhwkns....not offended. I appreciate people that will discuss their opinions. That's what keeps America from being one-sided. Some people would argue that total primer gray looks good. But not a favorite of mine (at all).

My truck has an Earl Schive paint job on it. I guess PO didn't like the medium green. I don't have any plans of restoring my truck. So whatever keeps rust from starting is ok with me. I figure I will just let it fade flake or do whatever as long as it runs, steers and stops.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance72 View Post
Heres a before picture of the truck, around the day I got it... Im gonna do a before and after photo when its all done
before and afters are cool. shows how much change has occurred. i'm not willing to invest that kind of time into sanding and whatnot. i absolutely hate doing body work. i'm not a fan of patina, natural or not. but everyone has an opinion and i do hope it turns out better than you expect and that you are happy with it. and i am interested in seeing how it looks when you are done.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #32
chvtrkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
jhwkns....not offended. I appreciate people that will discuss their opinions. That's what keeps America from being one-sided. Some people would argue that total primer gray looks good. But not a favorite of mine (at all).

My truck has an Earl Schive paint job on it. I guess PO didn't like the medium green. I don't have any plans of restoring my truck. So whatever keeps rust from starting is ok with me. I figure I will just let it fade flake or do whatever as long as it runs, steers and stops.
Ummmm,I never heard of any Earl Shive...Did you mean to say Earl Scheib?
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #33
JOJABOY

yeah, yeah, whatever....not somewhere I would take any of my vehicles to get painted. ha-ha- Us Georgia folks don't always enunciate and definitely can't spell have the time.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #34
Chance72

Well I did the rear fender today, I put the primer color on and I put a deep blue color on. It snaded out nice but the thing is it is metallic blue so its gonna be tough to get the shine out of it... Ill post pics tomorrow of the progress.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #35
tward

i had a 67 datsun 520 i did this to. brush, roller then sprayed it. if there are any little dents dings or low spots stay far away from them with your sandpaper sir. i ended up using scotch bright pads over the whole rig. the low spots were the main issue and ended up being a pain in the a$$. if you want to create a thin coat of rust (didn't use this on my truck but have used it alot building tattoo machines) theres a product called plum brown you could check out
[IMG][/IMG]

as for fauxtina these guys killed it

[IMG][/IMG]
tward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #36
RustedMetal

Mine before and after

BEFORE

AFTER

Posted via Mobile Device
RustedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #37
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Way to turn show trucks into everyday junk...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #38
RustedMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
Way to turn show trucks into everyday junk...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Lmao, mine is a primer and paint job away from looking the same as every other truck at a local car show, just like the before picture. Shiny paint and wheels does not equal show truck. But...
The cool part of my truck is that's its mine. If you want to drink coffee at Hardee's with the blue hairs and then go sit in a fold out chair at a show all day waiting to wipe off dust that's your choice. I can drive mine for weeks without having to wash it at all and gets thumbs up and people asking about it every time I drive it. I will leave all the shiny stuff to my other cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
RustedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #39
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedMetal View Post
Lmao, mine is a primer and paint job away from looking the same as every other truck at a local car show, just like the before picture. Shiny paint and wheels does not equal show truck. But...
The cool part of my truck is that's its mine. If you want to drink coffee at Hardee's with the blue hairs and then go sit in a fold out chair at a show all day waiting to wipe off dust that's your choice. I can drive mine for weeks without having to wash it at all and gets thumbs up and people asking about it every time I drive it. I will leave all the shiny stuff to my other cars.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm with you on this. My truck is a TRUCK. Not a Monet.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #40
Chance72

Well guys... Didnt like how I did the paint on my truck so I started taking it off and guess what I just so happened to find! Yep BONDO... About an inch of bondo placed on the top of the fender, and guess what it was for? The little bitty ding pictured... Well its wire wheelin time! My pictures are not uploading right now wo Ill have to do it later on...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #41
JOJABOY

Have a Snickers while you wait on those photos to upload. LOL
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #42
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Have a Snickers while you wait on those photos to upload. LOL
It wont letmebrowse my computer pictures.. I'll have to try it later
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #43
broey
Square

I had fauxtina paint of my square.
before

my boss used a D/A sander to take the clear off. after it looked like this

then I did a 3 stage buff job from 3m and finished with a good wax.
ended up with this

Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #44
C10 Club Tennessee

Doing what Rusbuilt did is what I'm going to do. His truck looks real.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #45
tinsoldier

Can't wait to see the progresses via pics.
tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #46
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Last year I found another way to create a light patina on vehicles. It will take about a whole summer but it does the job (not necessarily desirable in my case).

Bought a cheapy truck cover at Walmart. Left it on the truck over the summer and with the windy days the cover rubbed paint of the high points.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #47
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
Can't wait to see the progresses via pics.
Right now all it im doing is stripping the paint off to bare metal... I think I'm goin to use rattle can flat black for the under coat, rattle can red oxide primer for the second coat, and still tryin to find the gumby color in a can... I'm just gonna get some higher grit sandpaper to sand. But the pics I
Have shows the top of the fender with all the crap bondo on it... I don't understand why you would cover the top of a fender with a inch of bondo for a small ding in the curving of the fender? But gives me something to do! Once I get home from school I'll potty the pics then it's de-bondo time!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #48
tward

hey Chance, i think that sounds like a good plan only thing i would do differently is skip the really coarse sandpaper (i think the scratch marks will be too prevalent) and use a buffing wheel and some abrasive compound. that spray paint is really thin and will get worn thru quickly.
just my $0.02 sir,but i think this will help with any uneven or dented spots as its not a sanding block???
tward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #49
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance72 View Post
Right now all it im doing is stripping the paint off to bare metal... I think I'm goin to use rattle can flat black for the under coat, rattle can red oxide primer for the second coat, and still tryin to find the gumby color in a can... I'm just gonna get some higher grit sandpaper to sand. But the pics I
Have shows the top of the fender with all the crap bondo on it... I don't understand why you would cover the top of a fender with a inch of bondo for a small ding in the curving of the fender? But gives me something to do! Once I get home from school I'll potty the pics then it's de-bondo time!
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol just noticed^ Auto correct, I'll potty the pics? Haha I'll post the pics soon
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 C10 Short Step 327 with 350 turbo trans (Sold)
1986 GMC Short Fleet 327 with 350 turbo trans
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #50
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward View Post
hey Chance, i think that sounds like a good plan only thing i would do differently is skip the really coarse sandpaper (i think the scratch marks will be too prevalent) and use a buffing wheel and some abrasive compound. that spray paint is really thin and will get worn thru quickly.
just my $0.02 sir,but i think this will help with any uneven or dented spots as its not a sanding block???
Im going to put mmullttippllee coats... Get it really thick, and I have a sanding block...
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 C10 Short Step 327 with 350 turbo trans (Sold)
1986 GMC Short Fleet 327 with 350 turbo trans