The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Chance72

TRUCKS Faux-tina Job

Hey guys Im thinkin Im gonna do this to my truck, the paint the PO put on is just crap now... Question I have is do you guys think this could be done with the spray paint instead of rolled on. I know the texture would be different but do yall think the outcome would still be somewhat how they got it? Heres the link to the video that shows how they did the job...
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...rt-5-faux-tina
Chance72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Chance72

Re: TRUCKS Faux-tina Job

Some Pics....
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

fake patina looks faked
Old 04-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
jd7

I am going to try this my paint job from the previous owner sucks at best..... and I'm on a budget
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
fake patina looks faked
I know it looks fake, but if you do it right it looks cool and its my truck and I think it would be a fun to do. Im just wonderin if anybody has done it and if its any good.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd7 View Post
I am going to try this my paint job from the previous owner sucks at best..... and I'm on a budget
Pics when done please! I thought it was a pretty cool way of doing it. Its a cheap way to a pretty decent job.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
jocko

I think the roller actually helps make it look a BIT more realistic - it seems to help the fade seem more realistic. But, having said that - the more successful fauxtina jobs I've seen seem to do two things:
1) not go overboard (my 2 cents is that the Trucks! job went a little overboard)
2) not go "under"board - i.e. taking a "nice" paint job and squirting a few primer spots and then some topcoat and sanding through it looks very tacky in my personal opinion.

So, what 's the solution? TO do it JUST right! Sorry, I realize that helps you absolutely zero... But back to your question, I would venture a guess that MOST fauxtina jobs are not done with a roller, and, I think the roller job's texture tends to help the believability.

I agree, many faux jobs look horrible. But, REAL patina is something not everyone isn't blessed with - and faux tina is an option that CAN look good, but it's not quite as easy to successfully pull it off as it may look. And also keep in mind that a good faux tina job isn't necessarily a less expensive approach than an average-cheap real paint job.

I look forward to some pics - by and large I love patina and I CAN like fauxtina. But I do tend to see more jacked up faux jobs than successful ones. So, it's a tough, but very personal, decision for an owner.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I think the roller actually helps make it look a BIT more realistic - it seems to help the fade seem more realistic. But, having said that - the more successful fauxtina jobs I've seen seem to do two things:
1) not go overboard (my 2 cents is that the Trucks! job went a little overboard)
2) not go "under"board - i.e. taking a "nice" paint job and squirting a few primer spots and then some topcoat and sanding through it looks very tacky in my personal opinion.

So, what 's the solution? TO do it JUST right! Sorry, I realize that helps you absolutely zero... But back to your question, I would venture a guess that MOST fauxtina jobs are not done with a roller, and, I think the roller job's texture tends to help the believability.

I agree, many faux jobs look horrible. But, REAL patina is something not everyone isn't blessed with - and faux tina is an option that CAN look good, but it's not quite as easy to successfully pull it off as it may look. And also keep in mind that a good faux tina job isn't necessarily a less expensive approach than an average-cheap real paint job.

I look forward to some pics - by and large I love patina and I CAN like fauxtina. But I do tend to see more jacked up faux jobs than successful ones. So, it's a tough, but very personal, decision for an owner.
I dont want to do it as much as the TRUCKS guys did it. Maybe a little less than that. Im gonna get the supplys and then post some progress!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Just remember that a lot if times, a truck got its patina from being parked near a tree and forgotten about, or only used a couple times a year to haul yard clippings to the dump, like my truck likely was. The sun shines on mostly the same spots over and over, and others are protected from elements from the tree. So, don't do it uniform everywhere. If you had real patina, you'd likely have one side of the truck that looks different then the other side. One side of the hood that has more wear than the other side. Just don't over do it. I suppose we may only notice the poorly done fake patina jobs, and that there could be some really good ones we had no idea. Unlikely, but possible.

Here are some shots of my natural patina as reference

It's a little bright in this pic, and washes it out, but you can kinda see how there's more patina on one side than the other

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Just remember that a lot if times, a truck got its patina from being parked near a tree and forgotten about, or only used a couple times a year to haul yard clippings to the dump, like my truck likely was. The sun shines on mostly the same spots over and over, and others are protected from elements from the tree. So, don't do it uniform everywhere. If you had real patina, you'd likely have one side of the truck that looks different then the other side. One side of the hood that has more wear than the other side. Just don't over do it. I suppose we may only notice the poorly done fake patina jobs, and that there could be some really good ones we had no idea. Unlikely, but possible.

Here are some shots of my natural patina as reference

It's a little bright in this pic, and washes it out, but you can kinda see how there's more patina on one side than the other

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mister B, didnt really think about that! Ill take that into consideration when Im doing the job!
Ok guys, I have the supplys except for the top color and spray gun. Any of yall know where to get the cheap spray bottle they use in the video trucks? Tractor Supply doesnt carry them, neither does wally world, sssoooo where to?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
2002yanks

home depot/lowes carries them.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
leftybass209

To answer your question, yes. However, spray paint lacks the uv protection for the paint to last any length. I dont know how useful that info is though, because the idea is to have bad paint. The reason the auto paint was used is 1, its thicker and will offer a longer lasting effect, and 2, the paint can be applied much more uniform with a roller. The key here is to do what YOU want to do and not what someone thinks looks most correct. There are hundreds of rusty vehicles out there and one thing is common among all of them- none look alike. Recreating bad paint and neglect always puts a person at odds with the "purists". That Trucks faux paint looks cool. I'm pretty sure they have the right idea and it was voiced several times during the episodes. My truck has natural patina and I think that classix project looks cooler than mine. So much for original!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by leftybass209; 04-21-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot my original point!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Patina can be created but takes some work to get it just right. First it won't work real well if it's fresh paint because of the contrast but if you have a vehicle that has paint that is several year old or is oxidized it will work better. Use fine sand paper and water and sand the high points as shown on the sample pics above. Sand down to just showing the primer coat. More than that and you get into bare metal. Also, you don't want to over do it otherwise it will definitely look fake.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
fake patina looks faked

I agree... and I'll be happy when this fad subsides...

Not to rain on any parades here. But if patina is what you want... having a rig that already has real patina is the way to go.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
JOJABOY

I bet those fellas over at Disneyland could paint you a faux patina that you would never guess what faked. Those guys are freaking amazing.

As to what color you think looks best or style of paint job, be it faux-tina or puke green)...it's the owners personal choice. I personally would never own a white truck. My opinion on colors.

So bottom line....if the pink has your name on it, do what you want to do and stop worrying about what others think. Original question what about spray vs. roll on and if anyone else had done it.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Daner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
I bet those fellas over at Disneyland could paint you a faux patina that you would never guess what faked. Those guys are freaking amazing.

As to what color you think looks best or style of paint job, be it faux-tina or puke green)...it's the owners personal choice. I personally would never own a white truck. My opinion on colors.

So bottom line....if the pink has your name on it, do what you want to do and stop worrying about what others think. Original question what about spray vs. roll on and if anyone else had done it.
As I read this it was in Clint Eastwood's voice. lol
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
CC69Rat

^^ me too.

I think if its done correctly and the faux is not in places that would have never happened with real patina.. it can look really good.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I agree... and I'll be happy when this fad subsides...

Not to rain on any parades here. But if patina is what you want... having a rig that already has real patina is the way to go.

Gary
A natural patina with no major dents is very cool.

Quote:
Yeah, but IMO that doesn't make it any less lame.

Quote:
Fair enough, to each his own. I guess I could've been a little softer on my opinion, but I feel pretty strongly about this. A few years ago in the world of guitars "relicing" was quite the fad. There were fools all over the planet ruining their perfectly fine instruments in the name of fake patina. This whole faux anything leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Get real people.

Quote:
Spray vs. Roller, If I was trying to achieve the same results as in the video I would follow the procedure as closely as possible.

Why not put the same amount of effort into a real paint job. It's not difficult to get good results with inexpensive materials.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
JOJABOY

Wow. At least you stand behind your opinion. I love how passionate folks get. I wonder what these truckswill look like 20 years from now. My first truck back in 1988 was white with blue waves on the bottom and had pink "double" windshield wipers. LOL Never again! Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what looks good. Hince the sales of the Toyota Prius. But if you're gonna ride the trend wave.... go flat black rat rod look. Super cheap and easier than faux anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
Chance72

Made some progress today... Brushed on the black, its almost dry now... I also got the crap plywood the PO put in a long time ago... Gonna put some nice wood in the bed after the fauxtina job. Gonna roll on the red primer color tomorrow! No turning back now!
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
2002yanks

if you want patina look go for it. dont let others turn you off. i love the look of the one they did on trucks. if you want it to look like there`s i would roll on the layers like they did. i planed to go this route. kinda wish i did. would of been alot quicker than making each panel perfect. still working on it. really its up to you. who cares what others think. thats why i choose the color i did. its what i like. i paid for it so i should like it. johnny forum poster didnt pay for it.

edited to add;
if you want it to look old you cant have new chrome bumpers/trim and big wheels. run some rusted bumpers and stock rims. thats one thing that looks off to me on the trucks one(imho). lets see some pics of the truck before.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
JOJABOY

Glad you too stick to your guns on opinions. Would love to see how it turns out. Hopefully, better then expected. If it's an epic failure, there's always rattle cans of flat black or in some cases pink LOL. If you are going to do the bed yourself....here's my opinion. LOL

Get some steel wool. Cut it into itty bitty pieces and put it in a jar with vinegar and make yourself some good ol fashion Iron Stain. Would look rustic and patina-like to match up to your faux-tina paint.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
Rusbuilt

I did my fake patina paint job with a little chemical to create rust!
Attached Images

Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Wow. At least you stand behind your opinion. I love how passionate folks get.
I'm willing to discuss. This is a discussion forum. "Passionate", I wouldn't go that far, but I did offer a parallel circumstance that influences my opinion.
Quote:
I wonder what these truckswill look like 20 years from now.
I'm guessing ridiculous.
Quote:
My first truck back in 1988 was white with blue waves on the bottom and had pink "double" windshield wipers. LOL Never again!
Some people only have taste in their mouths.

I apologize if I've offended anyone.
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what looks good. Hince the sales of the Toyota Prius. But if you're gonna ride the trend wave.... go flat black rat rod look. Super cheap and easier than faux anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
lol, flat black? Don't even go there. What totally slays me is when I see a flat black car with no a/c here in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
Chance72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002yanks View Post
if you want patina look go for it. dont let others turn you off. i love the look of the one they did on trucks. if you want it to look like there`s i would roll on the layers like they did. i planed to go this route. kinda wish i did. would of been alot quicker than making each panel perfect. still working on it. really its up to you. who cares what others think. thats why i choose the color i did. its what i like. i paid for it so i should like it. johnny forum poster didnt pay for it.

edited to add;
if you want it to look old you cant have new chrome bumpers/trim and big wheels. run some rusted bumpers and stock rims. thats one thing that looks off to me on the trucks one(imho). lets see some pics of the truck before.
Thats what I was always thinkin, do what I want its my truck... And for the rusted bumpers and stock rims im just gonna take off my front bumper and wire wheel it and let it sit out some, for the rear, well I dont have one at the moment but Im gonna snatch one up at the junkyard. For the rims Im just gonna take off the rally rings and centers off and figure it out from there. Might buy some from the yard, idk yet...