The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
crossfire84

Re: I see the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
I've been trying to find another source for Di Lithium Crystals as the Faringes have upped the price again, Anyone know of another source ?
check with the BORG if your lucky seven of nine will assimilate you!!:
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #27
G&R's57GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
check with the BORG if your lucky seven of nine will assimilate you!!:
Thanks for the lead, I'll give them a shot
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I won't do air bags cause I think it's a fad and though I want my truck lower, I don't want it that low.
Mine isnt that low at the bumper, maybe 5/8" .

LOL, then again Dan isnt that what they said about the telephone, cars, electricity, TELEVISION....... hmmmmm.

Just messin with ya Dan. Just trying to be funny.

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #29
1project2many

Quote:
I can see the future also. I'm about 15 seconds, I predict I will hit the 'post reply' button to say stop giving people grief for doing what they like with their own trucks and their own dollars.
I saw a commentary on how trends change. I read through twice but didn't see a single post bashing another person's choice to modify their truck. Is there something else going on here?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, in 50 years, the questions will be about how to turn a truck back to stock. Anyone here that thinks '80s whale wings are still cool? How about blackout louvers? Installed a Knight Rider "scanner" in the hood lately? Fads and trends change. Just like in the early '90s, in 50 years we just might be seeing people spending crazy money trying to build old trucks that look new and original vs today's fad spending crazy money trying to build old trucks that look old.

I've been tossing around the idea of modifying a C3 Corvette power steering system to fit in the '57. It looks close enough to the original that it would fit the "mostly stock" aspect of my truck. I have no problem using the stock suspension with a few minor modifications to make it a bit more driveable. I cruise on the highway right along with the guys driving way too fast in their new vehicles and the truck handles just fine. It's a helluva lot easier to maneuver than the mini buses at work. I have considered larger brakes with power assist since I moved back east. Brake fade can become an issue after a long stop and in town my knees just don't put up with repeated brake applications requiring high pressure. I don't really want disc brakes as I like being different. I might be able to score an old set of finned Buick front drums like the stock car guys used in the '60s which would be cool. But converting them to six lug for the truck and finding a matching set of rear drums might be a trick. And there's the 5 speed conversion that still isn't happening... But overall I'm happy with my nearly stock truck and I don't really have a desire to make heavy modifications to it.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #30
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
Mine isnt that low at the bumper, maybe 5/8" .

LOL, then again Dan isnt that what they said about the telephone, cars, electricity, TELEVISION....... hmmmmm.

Just messin with ya Dan. Just trying to be funny.
Smartass whipper snapper kids these days!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #31
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Smartass whipper snapper kids these days!

Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #32
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
This is an interesting thread. When I was in high school in 1959 my friends Dad owned the Volkswagen dealership, and some other business's. My friend, Robert, got anything he wanted. Somehow his Dad wound up with a 1939(?) Mercedes convertible, and he gave it to Robert, who pretty quickly put a Ford V8 engine in it. Now that might be a car worth returning to original due to value and rarity. In about 1968 I helped another friend pull the original 283 engine and 3-spd out of his very nice 57 Corvette, and replace it with a 327/4 spd. That's another example where it might be financially worth returning it to original if possible. The point is, these trucks aren't that rare or valuable, and there's enough accurately restored ones around to fill the demand for those who want an original one. Most people are going to prefer the modded ones over the originals.
The famous customs of fifty years ago are now being actively sought after and restored. When found and restored they bring far more money than a restored stocker from the same era. The Rod and Custom Dream Truck is an example of that, and is probably valued at a million or more, so mods don't necessarily hurt the future value.
One thing is for sure though, I'm 72 so I won't be worrying about about what someone does to my truck 50 years from now, LOL.
Sounds good please, show me one restored TF truck! And one that is forsale. I can show some that are close but not a true resto.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #33
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I saw a commentary on how trends change. I read through twice but didn't see a single post bashing another person's choice to modify their truck. Is there something else going on here?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, in 50 years, the questions will be about how to turn a truck back to stock. Anyone here that thinks '80s whale wings are still cool? How about blackout louvers? Installed a Knight Rider "scanner" in the hood lately? Fads and trends change. Just like in the early '90s, in 50 years we just might be seeing people spending crazy money trying to build old trucks that look new and original vs today's fad spending crazy money trying to build old trucks that look old.

I've been tossing around the idea of modifying a C3 Corvette power steering system to fit in the '57. It looks close enough to the original that it would fit the "mostly stock" aspect of my truck. I have no problem using the stock suspension with a few minor modifications to make it a bit more driveable. I cruise on the highway right along with the guys driving way too fast in their new vehicles and the truck handles just fine. It's a helluva lot easier to maneuver than the mini buses at work. I have considered larger brakes with power assist since I moved back east. Brake fade can become an issue after a long stop and in town my knees just don't put up with repeated brake applications requiring high pressure. I don't really want disc brakes as I like being different. I might be able to score an old set of finned Buick front drums like the stock car guys used in the '60s which would be cool. But converting them to six lug for the truck and finding a matching set of rear drums might be a trick. And there's the 5 speed conversion that still isn't happening... But overall I'm happy with my nearly stock truck and I don't really have a desire to make heavy modifications to it.
Good post. Thank you sir.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #34
Zach B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post

I agree. If you think about it thinks are on there way to going back to original now. It's a slow process. What you see a lot of is stock suspension including the original strait axle steering with V-8 engines hovering over all of it. My grandfather was one of the people from the 80s hot rods days. A 54 chevy pickup with a 350 cc engine and a 2 inch lowering kit on the front painted purple with a paint brush. He made every part it required to do the job because in the day you could not go out and just buy custom mounts for these trucks. Most people would never dream of making there own parts but even I have been known to fab my own stuff on the more modern trucks from the 70s. It's an art but if you spend some time analyzing it you can make everything. Some mods today can't be returned to stock without a lot of work but others can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #35
dicer

Yeah and when the day comes, can you imagine all the wineing and snivleing about how bad the new repop frames are and all that. Thats when a good TF frame will bring top dollar, hmmm inflation then maybe if your lucky you'd find a rare short bed frame for $30,000. or so. Repops at $16,000. . It will be like the now days when we all think how we should have bought every $1200. 58 or 59 corvette we saw in the day or $500. Super birds etc. Or even some of those $50. 348's in the wrecking yards. Or the $100 to $200 or less tri five chev cars. Hmmm I had a few then. You might say I have been there done that as far as seeing what you think is plentiful junk or what ever you call it, turn into gold, ultra rare gold.

I'm still waiting to see the factory original restored TF's. Or even a good non restored one that is the same price wise as any of the average modified trucks. In every case they always sell first and get top dollar.

Yeah as far as straight axle, lots of newer Fords have em, F450 I know of, just plan less monkey motion to wear out and ruin the alinement. I always enjoyed climbing in a truck and having it feel like a truck. And nice to beable to see over the road barriers etc.

Last edited by dicer; 07-04-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #36
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Yeah and when the day comes, can you imagine all the wineing and snivleing about how bad the new repop frames are and all that. Thats when a good TF frame will bring top dollar, hmmm inflation then maybe if your lucky you'd find a rare short bed frame for $30,000. or so. Repops at $16,000. . It will be like the now days when we all think how we should have bought every $1200. 58 or 59 corvette we saw in the day or $500. Super birds etc. Or even some of those $50. 348's in the wrecking yards. Or the $100 to $200 or less tri five chev cars. Hmmm I had a few then. You might say I have been there done that as far as seeing what you think is plentiful junk or what ever you call it, turn into gold, ultra rare gold.

I'm still waiting to see the factory original restored TF's. Or even a good non restored one that is the same price wise as any of the average modified trucks. In every case they always sell first and get top dollar.

Yeah as far as straight axle, lots of newer Fords have em, F450 I know of, just plan less monkey motion to wear out and ruin the alinement. I always enjoyed climbing in a truck and having it feel like a truck. And nice to beable to see over the road barriers etc.
You have issues and that is just a fact. I love cars as much as the next guy maybe even more, but I'm sure not losing sleep about what someone decides to do with a car or truck they have purchased.

If you think hotrodding is going anywhere you a nuts. Hotrodding has been around since the invention of cars. Since cars were invented there have been people trying to modify them. Bootleggers to teenagers to plain old car nuts did it. Its never going to stop. I for one say that a great thing it allow creativity to flow. I really don't ever want to go to a show and see a bunch of cars and truck that are exactly alike. Yuck.

To each its own but if it comes to my house it will get the cut off wheel thats for sure. Why because its mine and I like to cut it up and make it mine. Like I said I don't have a thing again stock unless it belongs to me.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #37
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i like stock, but i like modified also best of both. At least there on the road not in a scrap pile, we better enjoy them while we have them you never know what the future holds. Anyways there will be kit cars then

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #38
dicer

Kabwe, yes I do have issues. I hate to see good stuff messed up. I can not find a nice stock truck. Theres a guy near by that has a TF he modded, some months ago he tried to sell it. I would have paid what he was asking in a heart beat if it was stock, I delayed too long because of my work schedual, on a good looking photo wise very close to stock 57, in a close by city, that sold for exactly what the modded one was advertized for. The guy still has his modded one. Just what I've been saying, the stock one sold. Someone posted a link to a modded truck on here I'd buy it now if it was a stock resto. So would someone else. This is my problem, there are tons of modded junk and it is junk in the mind of someone that collects or wants stock, there are NONE resto stock. Show me some. The main problem is, yeah everyone does it the way they like it. But then they get tired of it and sell it. Then do it all over again. If your gona just sell it do a correct resto. I bet you couldn't do it. Not even close. It takes real talent to do a good resto. Anyone can modify something, cause no one can compair it to anything, or do the fine detail that is required. Look at graveyard cars, he has people from all over the country wanting him to restore mopars for them. They don't want them, lowered and bagged and all that crap.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #39
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Kabwe, yes I do have issues. I hate to see good stuff messed up. I can not find a nice stock truck. Theres a guy near by that has a TF he modded, some months ago he tried to sell it. I would have paid what he was asking in a heart beat if it was stock, I delayed too long because of my work schedual, on a good looking photo wise very close to stock 57, in a close by city, that sold for exactly what the modded one was advertized for. The guy still has his modded one. Just what I've been saying, the stock one sold. Someone posted a link to a modded truck on here I'd buy it now if it was a stock resto. So would someone else. This is my problem, there are tons of modded junk and it is junk in the mind of someone that collects or wants stock, there are NONE resto stock. Show me some. The main problem is, yeah everyone does it the way they like it. But then they get tired of it and sell it. Then do it all over again. If your gona just sell it do a correct resto. I bet you couldn't do it. Not even close. It takes real talent to do a good resto. Anyone can modify something, cause no one can compair it to anything, or do the fine detail that is required. Look at graveyard cars, he has people from all over the country wanting him to restore mopars for them. They don't want them, lowered and bagged and all that crap.
Dude you not only have issues, you are delusional if you think anyone can mod and it takes no talent because they chose to mod. I don't claim and never have claimed to be the most talented or that I know everything. But I do know what I like and I know how to build what I like. But believe me if I wanted a stock truck with all there faults as far as poor body panel fitment and awful and dangerous brake system, you are right I could not build it because I could not live with those faults. I would have to change it. That is not a put down on stock trucks its just the truth. These were farm and work trucks and GM could care less about them. GM had no idea that we would still want to 50-60 years later. The fitment of the body panels were crude and the one reservoir and cylinder supply braking pressure for four brakes is in my opinion also crude and dangerous for a street driven vehicle.

Do you even have a truck? Have you ever built anything? Because the statements you make about anybody can modify is just plain stupid. So are you telling me that anybody can chop a top, section a body, pie cut hoods, extend a cab, install clips properly, build a frame, etc? If you think that you do not just have issues you are a fool. I would never say that building a stock truck does not take talent that would be a stupid statement, just as stupid as you saying anybody can build a hotrod. Actually I do think that building a hotrod or custom and doing it tastefully takes way more creativity and vision.

By the way I post pics of my junk and my junky work. After almost three years on this site all I see from you is talk no pics and no truck or anything. Its not anybody fault on this site that you can't find a truck.

Here is one of my cars that I would not have a problem selling if I chose to. I have about 10 people who would buy it today if I wanted to sell it. Its not for sale and as long as I have a choice it will not be. Its heavily modified and will be even more modified as the years go by. As far as I'm concerned its a nice car or junk as you put it.

This is my last time responding to anything you say because you are mentally insane.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #40
dicer

Right now I don't have a camera, this computer keeps crapin out. It needs to be replaced, but I'd rather spend on parts. I have good refferances for mechanics and fab work. I'm no top body man but I can do it, I'm very slow and likely much older than you. That means I've been doing stuff a bit longer too. Oh and you do very nice work.
My use of the word junk is a manner of speach, for things I just don't care for.
Your car looks nice, but if it was sitting next to a brand new 55 with window a sticker, fresh out of a sealed can, can you guess which one I would want, soooo much more value in the super good original, and I wouldn't care how well it drove or stopped. I'd never drive it. That would be like sanding on a gold billet and blowing the dust away.
There is nothing wrong with a good stock driver either, I used to drive a 57 3100 everywhere back in the mid to late 60's, it actually made driving fun, but so did the less traffic back then too. Oh and dual system brakes are a good acceptable mod, that can always simply be changed back if a person is planning on giving up driving it and turning into a museum piece. Another good mod is a solid cowl vent grill to keep the water and garbage out of the plenum for a daily driver. To remake stock just put in the original luvored grill. I've also before said, I'm not totally against modding. I am against ruining rare parts. I someday will mod a TF, it won't be 1/2 inch off the ground though. And it will not have a TF frame under it either. I'd build that from scratch, and I wouldn't use any old rusty sheet metal either. I say if your gona build it build it all, the way the cab would be put together would not be very stock either. I would not ruin any hard to find stock parts, would likely build most of what is needed that cann't be found.
The moral of this story is if you have to mod, and like to do that sort of thing. You don't need to ruin a rare hard to find truck to do it.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
Indian113

What a dull world it would be if we lived in your world Dicer! I personally don't care for trucks that lay frame, But I don't rant and rave about it- a lot of good men and women have died for our freedom to do as we please as long as it doesn't infringe on other peoples rights!

There's a forum for unmodified trucks and you would fit in there pretty good.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Dan in Pasadena

Real car guys DON'T talk schit about another man's ride, PERIOD.

You don't like what another guy did? Fine, shut your pie hole.

I truly don't like being confrontational like that but you have just told one of the board's better fabricators that "anyone" can mod" - that's just insulting and was totally unnecessary. You can have your preference here (as we all do) and say, "I prefer stock restorations." That's absolutely fine. But truthfully, you belong on a site more like Stovebolts.com than here. More people there will share your point of view. You should NOT be here slamming guys and telling an entire board that their preferences are valueless, that what they're working so hard to accomplish is a waste, etc. It'd be like being on the HAMB and telling everyone there that billet high-dollar show cars are the ONLY cars worth having. You're shoveling sand against the tide and you don't have the sense to understand that is just your opinion and everyone does NOT need to hear it, EVEN AFTER YOU'VE BEEN TOLD!

C'mon Dicer, don't make us have to be even more rude than we've been just to counter your rudeness.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #43
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Let's play nice guys. Everyone has their own tastes.
Negative comments about other member's trucks are not welcome here.
Bickering is gonna get this thread locked.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #44
fabguy
Elev8r Man

He (dicer) is just phishing on the board. He pops in from time to time to spread his OPINION and sits back to see who will bite on it, then plays as if he has done nothing wrong until someone defends them selves. Then he comes off as though he is just defending himself.
Some of us work on our trucks too get our rocks off, this is just what he does to get his rocks off on here and other forums. These people are everywhere, every forum you go too they are there.
Remember the old saying "build it and they will come" well, he's here!!!
He spreads his opinions, everyone tells him to let each be their own, and in his eyes you are doing what he does so he feels justified in leaving his opinions around. He posts while he is laughing at his screen because he just wants to see people either agree with him or get mad at him when they don't, for him it is a win win.
If everyone ignores him, he will slowly get more aggressive as time passes because he will have nothing to sit and laugh at on his screen, except the original post he is waiting on a reply too.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
dicer

Why do people try to explain the reason I mention what I do? I have explained it over and over. Just read what I say. I'm not knocking anyones abilities or what they have done. I have to many said they do good work.
What I do try to do is convince people not to screw up a good original truck or the good rare parts. That is what I'm doing. I'm an advocate for the truck. "car guy" no truck guy. And it is easy to mod as compaired to restore to original, just ask any good resto shop, ask Mark Worman.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #46
Zach B

Quote:
Why do people try to explain the reason I mention what I do? I have explained it over and over. Just read what I say. I'm not knocking anyones abilities or what they have done. I have to many said they do good work.
What I do try to do is convince people not to screw up a good original truck or the good rare parts. That is what I'm doing. I'm an advocate for the truck. "car guy" no truck guy. And it is easy to mod as compaired to restore to original, just ask any good resto shop, ask Mark Worman.
Not as easy as you think. The only time it's easier to mod over restoring a truck is when you chop cabs, frames, and beds. If you know where to go you can actually make a cab. I'm surprised frames are not being reproduced yet. My dad has a 1950 chevy truck and somebody copped the cab in half. As much as I am a stickler for originality I will admit that it's just as hard to mod as go original. I'm looking for an original cigaret lighter right now and they don't reproduce it. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #47
thump16

I have a positive suggestion for Dicer. Close your registration on this board and move over to the HAMB. There are some hardcore purists over there that would agree on your comments. However this board and all of its members respect the hard work and effort each enthusiast put into their dream trucks.

Youtube is just as bad with negative people and their comments. You don't own our vehicles so therefore your crusade on stock vehicles has no merit here other wise I have about 3 grand worth of porterbuilt perfection sitting in my garage totally useless in your eyes.

If you closed your mouth and opened your eyes, you would see that there are some creative geniuses on this board that have improved old school technology in both performance and safety of these machines and last but not least, there is a strong family foundation here, friends become brothers and sisters, cook out, meet and greets, and a way of life that doesn't bother you or anybody out there. So please stop getting these guys riled up with your high price expectations. Working men and women around here not fancy rich snobs who don't work on there on stuff pretending to be better than the average joe. I am smiling while I write this, no anger, just facts. P.S they made millions of these trucks. I got rare parts too but its no big deal.

Sledge

Sledge
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #48
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Okay. Everybody's had their say. Before this gets ugly....
CLOSED

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Closed Thread