The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
dicer

I see the future

On this site in 50 years, the post questions will be, How can I remove the nonstock suspension parts and restore my frame to like new condition?

What did the crossmember under the flywheel housing look like? Does anyone have any photos of it?

Where did the master cylinder mount originally.

Gosh we gotta wait a long time to see how accurate this prediction is.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: I see the future

"I've read in history books that there were factories in the US. Anyone know if trucks were actually built here?"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Red Foreman

And these history books are now printed in China.

My Build 56 GMC
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486721
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
tbrown5079

Sad but TRUE!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
torchlight

I can see the future also. I'm about 15 seconds, I predict I will hit the 'post reply' button to say stop giving people grief for doing what they like with their own trucks and their own dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
I can see the future also. I'm about 15 seconds, I predict I will hit the 'post reply' button to say stop giving people grief for doing what they like with their own trucks and their own dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah torchlight you are correct, but we must accept that sometimes common sense is not all that common. We also must have compassion for the mentally ill who disguise themselves are car guys.

I will be dead in 50 years so I don't think I will be concerned about a truck and if its stocked or not. The thing is, it does not concern me at all today.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-03-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Kim57

It's just steel, plastic and rubber nothing more.
If someone wants a truck that rides rough doesn't stop very well and has poor fitting body panels then they can build one just like it came from the factory.
I prefer a better ride and fit with the old style.
Kim
Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
On this site in 50 years, the post questions will be, How can I remove the nonstock suspension parts and restore my frame to like new condition?

What did the crossmember under the flywheel housing look like? Does anyone have any photos of it?

Where did the master cylinder mount originally.

Gosh we gotta wait a long time to see how accurate this prediction is.

Send me a stock restored truck, and I will keep it stock for 50 yrs if I am still alive, to help you preserve the past

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
OrrieG

I heard someone has come up with a formula for making gasoline at home to avoid the $1100 per gallon cost for this rare item? Anyone want to share?

I read that these trucks actually used to only have small motors to start a gasoline engine instead of being the primary power source? Also, my micro energy pack takes up too much room in the glove box does anyone have a better solution?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
mr48chev

In the early 70's in the town where my wife grew up I actually did run into a couple of guys who thought that they were "saving" a 40 Ford tudor sedan by taking the "hotrodded" chassis out from under it and putting a stock chassis back under it. They wouldn't even sell me the old chassis preferring to cut it up for scrap as they didn't want another "hot rod" made out of it.

I also had a kid at the Chevy-GMC Truckin Nationals in Ogdon In 1982 tell me that I shouldn't have chopped my 48 because they are "rare". It was sitting on a football field with about 200 other Chevy and GMC trucks and sitting not too far away from the Rod and Custom Dream truck. I don't know what that kid thought when he got to the Dream Truck.
From what I've run into over the past 50 years of having hot rods, custom cars or trucks guys who see themselves as restorers are the quickest to fuss at someone who modifies a vehicle and the most vocal about telling us how we ruined a vehicle. Those of us who prefer more traditional hot rods and customs view the "modern" rods as often being more faddish and overdone with the big wheels and thin tires wile the owners of those rigs view the traditional rodders as being out of step and not with it. We both often view the restorers as a bit strange but appreciate what they do.

When it's all said and done you really only have to worry about what someone else likes or things if you are bent on winning show trophies. If you aren't a trophy hunter it doesn't much matter.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Zach B

I myself do like to restore them. There is a sertain factor to it for me. The trucks themselves are not that rare. The rare years were 47, 55, and 88. All three of those years were half production years. They are the ones I hate to see as hot rods. But in the end it's each to there own on that type of thing. One guy perfers a truck capable of doing 0 to 100 in 60 seconds and another perfers a vehicle that can't even pass 55 mph without it trying to blow up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Indian113

Actually in my opinion and I could be wrong. We never really own our trucks we are just taking care of them for the next person in line for their guardianship. If some one doesn't like what I have changed they can either change it back or LIVE with it!!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
If some one doesn't like what I have changed they can either change it back or LIVE with it!!
I could take that a bit further but this is a family friendly site.lol

In my personal opinion anyone that wants to tell people what to like or not like is full of it and is not a true car guy. I like any thing that is done nicely. I don't care if its stocked, traditional, street rods, customs, prostreet, or whatever I'm just a carnut. Now that does not mean that I would build all styles but I appreciate anybody that picks up tools and sets out to build something. Its easy to run your mouth judging what others a doing (doing is the operative word here). Those of us that are doing more than just talking know how hard the work actually is and we seem to have more appreciation for guys no matter what they are building.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Yewhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Foreman View Post
And these history books are now printed in China.
Whattaya' (yes, that will be an official Webster recognized word in 50 years) mean??? All "books" will be electronic except for those in museums so they won't be printed in China. They will however, be written in Chinese...
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
...I actually did run into a couple of guys who thought that they were "saving" a 40 Ford tudor sedan by taking the "hotrodded" chassis out from under it....They wouldn't even sell me the old chassis preferring to cut it up for scrap as they didn't want another "hot rod" made out of it.

I also had a kid at the Chevy-GMC Truckin Nationals in Ogdon In 1982 tell me that I shouldn't have chopped my 48 because they are "rare"....
Someone always has an opinion and is just positive that THEIR'S is the "right" one. "If you were just more wise, you'd understand I am right"
That's why the expression, "Opinions are like A-holes: everyone has one and they all stink" is so funny. Even though its vulgar, it's pretty right on the mark.

I've debated my straight axle vs. IFS. But not for the reason of it being rare or original; it's undeniable that it is original. In the first week after buying my truck I happened to find a guy selling a new/never instaleld CPP disc brake kit cheap and bought it! So I have felt "locked in" - but of course I'm not really.

The early Ford guys tend to keep their suspension original; albeit "improved" w/tubular shocks, dropped axle, split wishbones, "updated" finned drum brakes? Many/most of them wouldn't consider using IFS, especially on a rod without fenders. Not just cause it looks weird but cause it is not in keeping their "culture". Just like the HAMB'ers have adopted a culture of "traditional."

Yet they have guys w/air bags and claim that is traditional because...I don't know, some old Lincolns or Cad's had air suspension back in the day(?) Older guys know the adjustable ride in the 60's were modified truck lift gate jacks with a bunch of batteries, i.e. lowrider "hydraulics".

I'll likely end up with IFS based on cost. I want power steering as it will only get harder to steer my stock truck as I get older and sure I'd like a nicer ride too. I won't do air bags cause I think it's a fad and though I want my truck lower, I don't want it that low.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
...anyone that wants to tell people what to like or not like is full of it and is not a true car guy.

I like any thing that is done nicely. I don't care if its stock, traditional, street rods, customs, prostreet, or whatever I'm just a carnut. Now that does not mean that I would build all styles but I appreciate anybody that picks up tools and sets out to build something. Its easy to run your mouth judging what others a doing (doing is the operative word here). Those of us that are doing more than just talking know how hard the work actually is and we seem to have more appreciation for guys no matter what they are building.
YUP! I agree completely. If you're a "car guy" - a person that really enjoys car culture, you see the value of a restored Edsel, a tricked out tuner car, an over the top "jumping" lowrider. That doesn't mean YOU have to own one or want one. It just means you understand every car guy has his own vision, and hopefully carries it off with style, technical competency, and safety.

A guy down my block has a couple restored Model T's he takes out to drive and I smile and admire his every time I see them.

PS: You DON"T TALK schit about another man's ride anymore than you do his woman - it isn't done. That's my $.02.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
meter swinger

Hello my name is sam, I'm a truckaholic.
My dysfuntion is that i like it all. I don't care if a truck is sitting flat on the ground, or on 44" mud tires, or as stock as the day it was born. If its old, i like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Russell Ashley

This is an interesting thread. When I was in high school in 1959 my friends Dad owned the Volkswagen dealership, and some other business's. My friend, Robert, got anything he wanted. Somehow his Dad wound up with a 1939(?) Mercedes convertible, and he gave it to Robert, who pretty quickly put a Ford V8 engine in it. Now that might be a car worth returning to original due to value and rarity. In about 1968 I helped another friend pull the original 283 engine and 3-spd out of his very nice 57 Corvette, and replace it with a 327/4 spd. That's another example where it might be financially worth returning it to original if possible. The point is, these trucks aren't that rare or valuable, and there's enough accurately restored ones around to fill the demand for those who want an original one. Most people are going to prefer the modded ones over the originals.
The famous customs of fifty years ago are now being actively sought after and restored. When found and restored they bring far more money than a restored stocker from the same era. The Rod and Custom Dream Truck is an example of that, and is probably valued at a million or more, so mods don't necessarily hurt the future value.
One thing is for sure though, I'm 72 so I won't be worrying about about what someone does to my truck 50 years from now, LOL.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
crossfire84

well said.^^
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
arturo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
We never really own our trucks we are just taking care of them for the next person in line for their guardianship.

This is how I see it. The overriding goal is to build a vehicle that is safe, dependable and stands the test of time. I'll be happy in the hereafter to know that my vehicle is someone else's pride and joy.

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
itstheshu
Account Suspended

Unless you are building it to resale, why do you care what it is worth to anyone else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
G&R's57GMC

I've been trying to find another source for Di Lithium Crystals as the Faringes have upped the price again, Anyone know of another source ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
G&R's57GMC

Since doing the Tru-Flite conversion on my 1957 GMC I've been looking for the patch panels to fill in the former wheel well openings to the under belly cover.

Sister's is out of stock, any other ideas who has them in stock ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Chris.

Doubt it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Red Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewhi View Post
Whattaya' (yes, that will be an official Webster recognized word in 50 years) mean??? All "books" will be electronic except for those in museums so they won't be printed in China. They will however, be written in Chinese...
Good point, I didn't think of the electronic age but I guess I'd be excused as I'm a little behind the times, my cell phone is an old rubber nokia from the 90s era hence I get laughed at whenever I use it.

My Build 56 GMC
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486721
Closed Thread