The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
gale

Re: Just for stepside drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
with out the spare tire on the fender you would have to carry it around in the back of the pickup and that would loose some bed room for hauling. i have seen them mounted on the left and right , i wonder if that was an option for the step sides.
I bought a new stepside every year from '64 to '83 and the spare was carried under the frame. The fender mounted spare was extra but not much. The entire truck in '67 was only $1700 and that included an AM radio and heater.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I bought a new stepside every year from '64 to '83 and the spare was carried under the frame. The fender mounted spare was extra but not much. The entire truck in '67 was only $1700 and that included an AM radio and heater.
i guess i never saw one with the spare tire under the bed on a step side, i have seen them mounted on the left step and right step . i was just wondering if you could order what side you wanted it on, mine is on the left and it does get in the way with the left mirror.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
'68OrangeSunshine

I can't speak for Down-Under export models, but I've never seen a passenger-side tire mount in the Continental US in 40 years of driving a stepside.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I can't speak for Down-Under export models, but I've never seen a passenger-side tire mount in the Continental US in 40 years of driving a stepside.
there is a red one here but i am not sure who it belongs to, i will try and find it later and post a pic of it...
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
there is a red one here but i am not sure who it belongs to, i will try and find it later and post a pic of it...
What year model? The last passenger side mounted spare I saw was '53 or earlier. At a glance it's difficult to tell the year from '48 to '53. Same probably goes for the drivers.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #31
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
What year model? The last passenger side mounted spare I saw was '53 or earlier. At a glance it's difficult to tell the year from '48 to '53. Same probably goes for the drivers.
the truck is owned by tschevy its for sale in the 67-72 classified section. it has a right side mounted spare, not sure but it may be custom , red and black, i do not know how to move the photo to here, but go to classified for sale, then 90 pic's per page and its on page #6. it took a while but i finally found it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #32
wreckedchevy

I took a better pic to show what I was talking about. if you look at the photo below the tire sits to low and there's a very large space between tire and the fender. it's hard to tell in your guys pic's but it looks like your tire actually sits in the cut out, mine sit's in front of it. there is no holes in the box so nobody moved it forward and the frame of it is touching the fender so it can't be moved back. so I like the idea of the spare being there but I don't like it because it doesn't actually sit in the cutout.

Name:  IMG_20130807_191505.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedchevy View Post
I took a better pic to show what I was talking about. if you look at the photo below the tire sits to low and there's a very large space between tire and the fender. it's hard to tell in your guys pic's but it looks like your tire actually sits in the cut out, mine sit's in front of it. there is no holes in the box so nobody moved it forward and the frame of it is touching the fender so it can't be moved back. so I like the idea of the spare being there but I don't like it because it doesn't actually sit in the cutout.

Attachment 1138848
I don't know what you've done but the tire mounting bracket should be showing under the tire if you've got the right parts. I have a '68 LWB stepside bed with a side mounted spare. I'd take a picture but the bed is in pieces for painting.

My '54 bed has the holes to receive the mounting bracket even though it wasn't shipped with a side spare.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #34
wreckedchevy

I've never had the spare off it since I bought the truck in 93
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #35
wreckedchevy

might be a lie I don't remember if I had to take it off when I removed the fender to prime it
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
gale

I'll lay the fender on the side panel along with the mount bracket and take a picture in the morning.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
wreckedchevy

you got me curious maybe po did something odd to this truck.

Name:  IMG_20130807_202053.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  99.6 KB
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
GRX

The way that spare mounts does look quite odd. My truck is the same model = '69 c10 long stepper. I'll try to find time today to remove the spare and snap an image to post here.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #39
gale

Quote:
you got me curious maybe po did something odd to this truck.
Most definitely! The dpi made his own version of the wheel cutout and apparently had no pattern other than his memory.

Last night I said I would assemble the parts this morning and then I got busy at something else. I just stopped to lay the bed side, fender, spare mount bracket, and a tire so you can see how they are supposed to look. These are all original parts from a '68 lwb step side.

Look at relation of the bottom of your wheel well to the 'molding' line on the fender.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #40
wreckedchevy

I like how your guys looks, it doesn't fill up the space but at least it's centered in the space. GRX can you post up a pick of your 69 to see if the cut out matches Gale's 68 or if it is cut out like mine and maybe they screwed up the mount when the crunched the fender under the tire (forgot about that dent til last night). can't imagine and old farmer from winnett, mt would have took the time to build the cut out and do as nice a job as it is most everyone around here just mounts the tire to the grill. and also to cut the round hole in it like the factory did.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #41
gale

Quote:
...and also to cut the round hole in it like the factory did.
There was no hole in the factory offering. The hole seems to have no purpose and everything GM did had a reason. Perhaps the piece of sheet metal he picked up had a hole.

As for the clearance, these trucks were intended for farm use and the practicality of using the step to muscle a bag of feed in or out of the bed.

I'm glad they made the clearance even and neat. If the clearance was much less a larger tire and a little mud would be difficult to handle.

Whoever did the cutout on your truck missed the dimensions by 4" too much in one direction and 4" too little in the other.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
wreckedchevy

I've seen that hole in some of the other trucks why it's there no idea makes no sense
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=19
this one looks like it's cut the same as mine
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=22
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
gale

Pretty strange there are different cutouts. That may be why none of the repro suppliers offer that fender. I've always assumed the cutouts were the same.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
wreckedchevy

I appreciate you taking the time to get the pictures for me gale, still haven't figured out why mine sits so far forward and going from what pic's I can find my mount looks ok but I did figure out that the hole is for the short bed's
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&postcount=11
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #45
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

I'm NOT the world's expert on these, but I'll take a whack at it. Sorry for long-winded reply.

Take a look at the mounting bracket in the Palf70 photo (attached link), and the ones above where the tire sits so obviously too-far away from the fender (Gale & Wreckedchevy's).

The bracket on Gale's & Wreckedchevy's photos (the gold truck & the red truck) both have two vertical angle irons outside (in front of) the fender. Pretty sure that those are the correct long wheelbase spare tire brackets, but I believe both of those trucks have (wrong) short wheelbase fenders on them. The fender cutouts are in a considerably different spot on a correct long wheelbase cutout fender.

My diagnosis: correct wheelbase bracket & wrong fender = really bad tire placement in the fender.

Look on Palf 70's tire bracket in the link, & there is only one vertical angle iron in front of the fender. That is a correct shortbed bracket (the other vertical angle iron sits inside under the fender itself & isn't seen). That's why the hole is in the shortbed fenders, because one of the struts goes thru the hole & bolts to the vertical angle ion inside the fender, out of sight. Correct bracket, correct shortbed fender = good location of the tire in the cutout.

On my former truck, I also changed over to 5-lug wheels from 6 lug originals, & the three lug nut bolts on the bracket didn't hit the holes right on the 5 lugnut wheel. Only one of the three bolts did hit a wheel hole, and I cut two of the three off, rotated the tire & wheel very slightly & it dropped into the cutout on the fender so close to being centered right that you REALLY had to look to see it. I saw it, but nobody else ever did.

On both Palf70's & my truck, shortbed bracket & shortbed fender = correct "fit." Even tho mine is off ever so slightly because of the 15" 5-lug Rally wheels Vs the original 6-lug 16"-ers.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68shortstep; 08-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #46
gale

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to get the pictures for me gale, still haven't figured out why mine sits so far forward and going from what pic's I can find my mount looks ok but I did figure out that the hole is for the short bed's
If you study your picture and mine you'll see your tire does not sit more forward. The cutouts in the fenders are drastically different. The bottom of your cutout is about an inch above the break I call a molding line because that's where the molding would be if you had one. The cutout on mine is about 3" below that same break. Then the horizontal distance on your cutout is about 4" more to the rear than mine.

On a short bed the tire just sits closer to the cab. It's relation to the fender doesn't change.

I have to modify the tire mounting plate to take an 8 lug rim since I'm using this bed on a C20.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #47
68shortstep

Not beat a dead horse, but here's more: I knew I had these filed somewhere, just took me a few minutes to find them. Assembly manual drawings, longbed Vs shortbed, 2 views each, both with sidemount spare brackets.

Hope these help:
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #48
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Take a look at the mounting bracket in the Palf70 photo (attached link), and the ones above where the tire sits so obviously too-far away from the fender (Gale & Wreckedchevy's).

The bracket on Gale's & Wreckedchevy's photos (the gold truck & the red truck) both have two vertical angle irons outside (in front of) the fender. Pretty sure that those are the correct long wheelbase spare tire brackets, but I believe both of those trucks have (wrong) short wheelbase fenders on them. The fender cutouts are in a considerably different spot on a correct long wheelbase cutout fender.

My diagnosis: correct wheelbase bracket & wrong fender = really bad tire placement in the fender.
I think your diagnosis is on the right track but mine (the gold one) is all original and there is no hole for the mount to go through the fender. The cutout follows the radius of the tire very well even though the gap is much greater. I believe "wrecked chevy" has a short bed fender on a long bed.

Your truck looks great!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #49
68shortstep

On second look, I agree.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Not beat a dead horse, but here's more: I knew I had these filed somewhere, just took me a few minutes to find them. Assembly manual drawings, longbed Vs shortbed, 2 views each, both with sidemount spare brackets.

Hope these help:
Thanks! At some point years ago I had detailed drawings of frames, etc. and didn't place enough importance on them. But then I could just buy a new truck next year.