The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
1slo_camaro

Re: Is Anyone running Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
If this helps any

Posted via Mobile Device
yea im just trying to be super lazy and see what pepople have for measurements, but its just going to take my having all the pipe there and some angle pieces and just start cutting and tacking pieces together Thank you for the pic

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
yea im just trying to be super lazy and see what pepople have for measurements, but its just going to take my having all the pipe there and some angle pieces and just start cutting and tacking pieces together Thank you for the pic
I just grabbed a sawzall and a u bend pipe and started cutting and tacking
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
1slo_camaro

yea thats what ima have to do, what did a u bend cost ya?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I went through two pairs of Flowmaster mufflers and busted them out, before I got smart. Magnaflow is my choice these days.

You want loud, go with a Flowmaster, but if you want performance, then look elsewhere.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
yea thats what ima have to do, what did a u bend cost ya?
My parts store had them for like $30 for a 3" pipe u bend. It's was a dyno max pipe and welded pretty nice with my harbor freight wire feed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
1slo_camaro

sweet. how many did you get? 2 or 4? i figure if im careful i should be able to make 2 work

Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
INSIDIOUS '86

I just got one for the one side since mines not a double hump crossmember.
Then spintech mufflers and a universal x pipe from pypes.

Here's an old video of it http://youtu.be/xxKkztunNzM
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #33
1slo_camaro

nice man! i love the raspy sound.... just talked to my old man and found out i have a total of 4 40 series floating around my house so for right now im gonna get my long tubes installed and just band clamp the 40s until i can get a set of single chambers. I just wish i had something a little better then the 280hp 350 to speak through those pipes..... Im sorry OP i feel like ive kinda stole your thread..... my apologies bud

Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
INSIDIOUS '86

I should just post an exhaust thread. But yes I love the sound of spintechs. Take a few baffles out of 40s and they are loud but still kinda chew baca like. Wish they used thicker metal for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
LynnJr

I must have been lucky.I went with Flow-Masters 18 years ago and they are in perfect shape today.They are made out of steel not wrapped tin like in a tuna can that I see today.
On my newer truck I ran the other brands and each year they needed replacing.I was telling the guy at the muffler shop that the factory muffler was better than all this aftermarket garbage and he took me over to his scrap pile and showed me most of the other brands.
A 3 inch inlet but if you cut it in half it is only 3 inches until it gets to the case then it shrinks right up.
He put a single Flowmaster on it and its been good for 4 years now and sounds great.Again it is made out of steel and not tin can material.
Of course Flowmaster is down the road from me about 5 miles so maybe we don't get seconds.
I will post pictures if I can shrink them to fit.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I must have been lucky.I went with Flow-Masters 18 years ago and they are in perfect shape today.They are made out of steel not wrapped tin like in a tuna can that I see today.
On my newer truck I ran the other brands and each year they needed replacing.I was telling the guy at the muffler shop that the factory muffler was better than all this aftermarket garbage and he took me over to his scrap pile and showed me most of the other brands.
A 3 inch inlet but if you cut it in half it is only 3 inches until it gets to the case then it shrinks right up.
He put a single Flowmaster on it and its been good for 4 years now and sounds great.Again it is made out of steel and not tin can material.
Of course Flowmaster is down the road from me about 5 miles so maybe we don't get seconds.
I will post pictures if I can shrink them to fit.
You have been lucky. I have and had more than one vehicle in my garage and the weekend driver GMC 84 does not get driven as much as it used to, so I blame the failures of the two sets of Flowmasters that it had in it's time, on the fact that the exhaust collects moisture and then while it sits, the rust takes over. However, then I throw in the daily driver 91 Silverado that I used to have and it saw the road every work day and weekends too, it blew out a Flowmaster in about two years and once again I replaced with the same brand, which lasted once again about two years. I finally put on Magnaflow stainless and it still has that muffler on it and it is in the fourth year of driving, just a different owner. My 84 has dual Magnaflow muffs, the 2011 has a Magnaflow muffler and my son's 86 truck (which by the way blew out it's Flowmasters) now has Magnaflow muffs. It is not my intent to keep Flowmaster going by repurchasing low quality material. For the money, one would not expect seconds from a shop that is flying a Flowmaster banner. My newer 2011 GMC daily driver has Magnaflow, my wife's 09 Pontiac G8 has Magnaflow and as you can see, I am on board with their performance and the fact that they give good product quality.

Last edited by piecesparts; 08-25-2013 at 11:52 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
I should just post an exhaust thread. But yes I love the sound of spintechs. Take a few baffles out of 40s and they are loud but still kinda chew baca like. Wish they used thicker metal for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess to each their own but I personally think spintechs sound like the ba$tard child of a ricer and eurotrash and have no place on american horsepower. I have a set of super 40 flows that have been on 4 different rides and about to go on my latest toy. Other then a few dents from a major wreck they still look great. On my hotrod truck I have tried 2 different flow master and currently run dynomax racebullets. I will ne swapping to 1chambers on it soon as the bullets have a little to much raspe for my taste.

Here is the night I finished the dynomax install.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=ranno...07.ziicSMAveWU

Here is the 40's
Posted via Mobile Device

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=ranno...07.ziicSMAveWU
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
LynnJr

Frank
What do you mean when you say it blew out a Flowmaster?
Mine are made out of steel not tin can material and you would be hard pressed to dent one let alone blow it out.
If I put a tight fitting ball in my exhaust tips the engine would die long before anything would blow out on the muffler.
It sounds like rust is whats getting your mufflers so you went with stainless steel on your new mufflers but not your flowmasters?
I live in California and we have zero rust issues out here.I see pictures of guys posting what there trucks look like and am amazed at all the rust I see.

On the seconds most shops flying the banner have seconds.My dual exhaust was $550 from the headers back 18 years ago without the tips.I watched the guy installing them open the boxes to make sure they were sealed and not seconds put back into a box to look like non-blems.I live in santa rosa were they are made and every shop here has piles of seconds so we know about the tricks of the trade so to speak.

My single is on a 1990 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 290/350 crate motor in it.It has had 7 different engines in it ranging from 327 to 400 and has broken every muffler in the body of the muffler or right were the pipe enters the body.The whole system slides on the hangers it isn't tight like on the older vehicles were it was typically rigidly mounted to the frame.

My muffler is probably thicker than the frame is on my truck.
I hear the stories and not just here I just find them hard to believe as my two trucks are rock solid.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
dieseldawg142

it has nothing to do with luck. i'm not going to say which is better, how your truck sounds is totally subjective & personal, but my own exp. with FM's has been without fail. had 40's on my '68 2wd lb with a 383 from a week after i bought it, till i sold it (13 yrs). my wife's truck ('90 step w/350) i put a 70 on it when we bought it ('98), just replaced it with another 70 2yrs ago. my crew had 1 yr old Magnaflows on it when i bought it, sounded pretty much the same as FM's, a little louder at idle, replaced after 4 yrs (rusted) with delta 50's. took the truck apart 4 yrs ago, FM's were still in exc. shape, so i hit them with some por exhaust paint & threw them back in
to the OP, i say if you like the sound (loudness!) of the 10's, do it, your truck, your money
Attached Images

dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
bruin_d

I have Super 10s on my Suburban with 3/4 length Chevelle headers. I love it but I have an 8 month and 2.5 year old kids and it's too loud for them. I'm swapping to either 50 or 70 series. Give me a minute and I'll post some pictures. Mine is routed a little different than most. I lay frame on the ground and have it dumped in front of the rear tires.

As for Flowmasters...I have never owned a vehicle without them. The only one that has ever "failed" on me was one I had for a few years on a full size Bronco I had when I was stationed in upstate New York. The salt ended up rusting one of the welds on one of the chambers and it rattlled. If I had taken some care of it and made sure there was paint on it, it probably would've been fine.
bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #41
bruin_d

Not exactly the same body style as yours but might give you an idea.
Attached Images

bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #42
1slo_camaro

O WOW! i really like that idea, i never thought of that, plus im running long tubes so thatll be a little tougher unless i put a hole in the frame and just ran it through that and around.... that would make it nicer and keep the heat away from the trans and all

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #43
INSIDIOUS '86

It's not so much that I see durability issues in muffles as I do seeing the "tuna can sheet metal negatively affecting sound. I like the clean raspy sound of an engine but the sound is only good with high compression engines and bigger cams. I don't want my mufflers modifying engine tone as much as just the volume level for me that's why I choose what I choose. That and you can't arquebus with thier prices on their mufflers, magna flow is cheap materials but put together well enough to last. The price is silly IMO same with flows, I do like magna flows but they still don't last as long as a non dampening muffler since they still are a glass pack on some models.
Unless your exhaust is stainless its going to rust and Need replaced someday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
cory d

im using 2 2.5" 15" long glass packs. anything sounds lame on a lame engine. after my engine is upgraded adn rebuild, i should get a much better sound. i like the sound of glass packs. takes out the ear killing "crack" and they are dirt cheAP.
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote