The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #26
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

I'm also running the Flowmasters (Delta 50 series) and couldn't be happier. They don't have that "hollow metallic" sound that everyone describes and they aren't so load that you can't run through the drive-thru. They are plenty loud when you open it up though. I'm running 2.5" pipe that dumps right in front of the rear axle. I also used to run Magnaflows and you can't go wrong with them either.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:38 PM   #27
BOSS
Just here to help

40 flows bolted to the headers,NO pipes,so they stop about the middle of the cab.HAHAHA too loud?Is there such a thing?

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:18 PM   #28
Lumpy
2 tons of fun

I run flow 40's turning down just in front of the rear axle. Sounds great to me. The louder the better. If I am only gonna get 12 MPG then I wanna hear it! Not being able to hear too good at drive-thru's. Even better! Later...........Lumpy

Last edited by Lumpy; 07-07-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:37 PM   #29
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

I'd say a SB chevy with dual 40s is just about right.. .but then again i've had my 396 run many times with open full length headers and i thought that sounded JUST RIGHT
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:12 AM   #30
73stepside

i have flow 40's dumping in front of the axle. i hate the hollow metallic sound. i am more partial to edelbrock or hooker aerochamber mufflers. they are quiet enough to hear the radio while cruising but get really loud when you get on it.
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:23 AM   #31
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

Alright, I guess I'll be the odd man out. I'm running dual 2" pipes to 2 1/4" Thrush Magnum Glasspacks. This is on a 250 with Hedman headers. The glasspacks are clamped on the end of my pipes. My exhaust ends at the back of the cab. It sounds great. Alot better than when I was running open headers. I get alot of looks driving through town, esp. when I rev it. Most people are like "Whatcha got in there, a V-8?" How loud your exhaust is also depends on your placement of the mufflers and if you run any crossover pipes(h, or x pipe). The closer to the end of the exhaust your muffler is, the louder it's going to be.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #32
red72chevy

WHAT THE HECK BOYS! TOO LOUD! sure i cant hear anyone on my cell phone when i drive my truck w/ 40 series flows exiting in front of my rear tires, but its a hot rod...come on! i was running straight pipe dumping under the bed...now that is too loud, except at idle, its sounded awsome! just my 19yrs of 2cents :-D
red72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #33
chevykid1969

I have headers with 18" glasspacks that exit right behind the cab. I dont think they are to loud.Even though at some of the fast food places( i will not name them) i am not aloud to go through the drive through. LOL
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:40 PM   #34
cableguy0

i have headers and just a short length of 2.5 inch pipe right now and its damn loud mufflers need to go back on soon but i am planning on flow out in front of the rear tires
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #35
Low68

I had flowmasters for a year or so. I was happy with them until I started driving 1200 miles to school and back. They started to get a little abnoxious after that. I had them run through 2.5 inch pipe and right out in front of the wheels like you are thinking of doing. I took Nsane's advise and canned them for magnaflow and am really happy with them. I don't like the sound in the cab all that much, but out side they sound SWEET. I can actually hear my radio now too. I would say that it depends on your tastes a lot and if you are going to be driving it for extended periods of time. If you normally just drive around the town or whatever, I think that flowmasters would be fine. There are times when I miss the flowmasters cause they were loud and fun to set off car alarms, but when I am driving to and from school, it is worth the switch. Good luck choosing.
Low68
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #36
Lumpy
2 tons of fun

Question

Has anyone ever tried those Dynomax Bullets? If so how do they sound? Thanks.......Lumpy
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:42 PM   #37
Stano

I'm runnin Flowtech full length headers and 18" x2.5" pipe to 40 series flows and 18" more of pipe. For those of you with a calculator and a measuring tape that extends past the back of the cab about 2 inches. Now I do shut off at drivethru's but thats just me I can hear them fine and they usually hear me too. Got that on a mild 350 with plenty of cam action. I like the way they sound just fine and I like hearin my motor too. LOL can talk in the cab, on cell phone, hear radio without it cranked way up. I don't find the noise defening but some might. I have always liked loud pipes. There is a truck in town mid 80's shortbed that has some killer sounding pipes on it, sounds really cool guess i'll hafta chase him down and ask what he's runnin. Might just change mine to what he's got.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 AM   #38
67 SS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy
Has anyone ever tried those Dynomax Bullets? If so how do they sound?
I've been wandering the same thing.One of the car magazines used them on a dyno test engine and they did great,but I'd like to hear from people that used them.
67 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:39 AM   #39
miket

Thought I would throw a couple pennies in...

I just put 40's on my 71 with H and 3-1/2" pipes all the way out the back with hidden turn downs in the back corner of each end of the bed. I like the sound for the driving that gets done in the truck....not a lot of highway...but some. It's very agressive and I do have to shut it off at drive throughs....but thats what I wanted. pretty mean.

I had 3-1/2 Dynomax straight through bullet race mufflers on my Chevelle with turn outs in front of the rear wheels....it sounded great but I couldn't drive it on the street nor talk inside....I had 3" pipes put on with Magnaflows...the magnflows have more of a low warm-glasspack sound but they crack (noise) badly and all in all don't like them (heard them on several other vehicles).

I had Flowmaster Delta force 3 chambers put on my daily driven Impala SS and they were very quiet but I liked the tone...it made driving the car daily a pleasant experience.

I have Dynomax Super Turbos on my Suburban (8.1/496) and find them to be the most "middle of the road" between the flows and the magna's. They are loud enough at idle and quiet enough inside with plenty of bite at acceleration....they also seem to have a tone balance between a warm glasspack and the more open pipe tone of the 40's.

If you like the sort of nascar sound of the 40's just make sure you can live with it every day and under all driving conditions. If you can't, go with 3 chamber delta force's and my third choice would be Dynomax Super Turbos.

BTW...I have a sound clip of my 502 running through 2-1/2" pipes and 40's. If any wants to hear it I will email or post it.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:18 AM   #40
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

WOW you guys, this post has made me want flowmaster 40's more than anything in the world for my truck. There is nothing I want more than to have exhaust so loud that you have to turn it off to go thru a drive thru but still not sound like straight pipes...thanks for the encouragement
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:13 AM   #41
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

What has evey one put in the Blazer or Jimmy with the top off?

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:31 AM   #42
special70gmc

2.5 40's and h-pipe need i say more?
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2003, 09:18 AM   #43
1972ChevyGuy

What are the advantages/disadvantages of H/X pipes? louder? softer? more power?
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:28 AM   #44
Piston
Account Suspended

It evens out the natural pulses in the exhaust flow, it equalizes the exhaust from side to side which will increase HP/Torque. It also quiets down the system just a bit and gives it a lower tone.

If you run tail pipes, it will get rid of that "Cackling" sound like you were running 2" pipes with cherry bombs lol.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #45
adkphoto

My $0.02 Worth

The Flowmasters are loud and obnoxious. If that's what you want, they're your muffler. To each his own. Every Joe with a late-model Dodge Ram seems to have them on their trucks these days.

I've got Dynomax Super Turbos on my truck, exiting out the back.
They've got a great sound that's throaty and mellow. Seems to resonate the most at about 30-40 mph on my setup. Smooths out nice at highway speeds and sounds wicked when you stomp on it. No problem talking or listening to the radio. Actually, the mufflers sound so good that I hardly ever listen to the radio!

David
Vroom, Vroom....
=====================
David Colbert dcolbert@twcny.rr.com

Work hard, play harder!
adkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote