The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
tlawre87

Re: Are these trucks getting more valuable in todays market?

Funny... putting in my zip (Oklahoma) dropped that to $8k. No way people around here would pay that. Most are old farm/work trucks.

Made me curious what my 74 would bring. Dag Gum!!! I didn't realize I was making an investment.
tlawre87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the other thing I find is when you try to assess the value of any vehicle, square or not, there are so many ways to determine value.. NADA comes out high for any vehicle as does Kelleys then you have four or five other books that dealers use to determine value... I have come to the conclusion that there are several kinds of value that haven't a clue to what the truck looks like or runs like
first off is dealer value ( the value after the dealership details the car and makes it look pretty which is what he will try to rape you for it)
second is trade in value this comes as a big shock when its told to you because suddenly this car the dealership is going to throw a quick coat of wax on is a raving turd according to their appraiser
Auction value this is what they say similar vehicles sold for at auction that no one can go to except for the dealers
Insurance value A what the insurance company uses to determine how much they can rip you off for a premium
Insurance value B this is what they use to try to convince you your car is a turd when you make a claim and they don't want to pay for it
Craigslist value which the average price is basically what the vehicle is worth in your area delete the two highest and the two lowest then average the rest
Also remember when you sell a car advertise it like its made of 24K gold with platinum accents when you buy a car you tell the seller that its a complete turd knock it as much as you can and try and get it for about $350 scrap value even if its a showroom new car
this my friends is the game of selling anything these days

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
rebootit

I just bought my 76 c10 Cheyenne 1 owner 51k miles in decent shape for $2500. It had been stored in a garage since 82-83 and never started. Had a mechanic drop the tank and clean it out, blow the lines, clean carb and change the oil and drove it home. Every bit of rubber, brakes, etc I am in the process of replacing. Factory air that worked like a beer cooler after 4.5 lbs of r12. I don't know if it was a deal but seemed fair.
Posted via Mobile Device
rebootit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

We have a saying out here (in the Northwest) for these folks asking those kinds of prices for this type of truck; “They’re pissing in the Wind”.

And if you have ever had this happen, then this saying needs no explanation, if not then go give it shot.
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
caramaro

i would say it's high but you have to put in consideration the region, values vary. i had to use NADA to get a figure for my antique insurance on my 87. it showed $6600 i'm happy with that figure until i spend way more than that on it but i didn't buy it to resell either. the squarebodies are very rare around here. took me years to find a decent one that i could afford and what i wanted.
caramaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyclack View Post
We have a saying out here (in the Northwest) for these folks asking those kinds of prices for this type of truck; “They’re pissing in the Wind”.

And if you have ever had this happen, then this saying needs no explanation, if not then go give it shot.
Exactly.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
78 Bonanza

That price is ridiculous and stupid. That truck is in redneck fixed up shape. Not clean and ready to go to shows. And it is a long box 2x? What is this guy thinking? 454? So what!!!! There were tons of 3/4 ton and 3500's with 454's. Not really a rare option on that one! It is just like the guys who own a 68-70 Charger that has a terminal case of cancer, a rotted out sub-frame, no glass, a straight six, etc. and they want 20k for it. Worth it? No way!!!! I wouldn't even pay them 1k for something like that. Too much investment with no returns. I have been buying rare vehicles for years and there are so many meat heads out there who think they are going to get rich on an old vehicle. They go out and find "a good deal" on an old vehicle, take it to a shop, pay the shop $175/hr. to restore it, end up with over 30k in just parts and labor and think they can flip it for 100k. Realistic? Of course not.

Do we restoration guys mind people like this? No. Their money spends as good as anyone else's but they are screwing up the car market and making it impossible for the average guy to own a decent muscle car or old vehicle. Barrett Jackson is a bunch of rich guys in a pissing contest, period. They don't really want the car they just want to one up their buddies. One day they will grow bored of the old cars (just like they do everything else) and alot of people are going to be setting on expensive toys that have dropped most of their value.

I've been hunting a 68 Charger for a few years now and got an email from a guy stating that he had a really clean 69 R/T SE. I asked him if it were the real deal and he said it was. Went and looked at the car. First thing I always do is read the VIN and guess what. It was an SE 383 original column shift. But now it sported a floor shift, R/T badges and a 440 out of a pickup truck. He was asking the top book on a real R/T SE. I laughed and told him what he really had. Then he began to argue with me that since he dropped a 440 in it and put the R/T stripes on it that it was now an R/T SE. I attempted to explain the differences between the base model and the R/T's but he was so wrapped up in his delusions of grandeur that he was deaf to my words. I also mentioned that the truck motor wasn't anywhere near a car 440. That was two years ago and it is still setting, now with that cheap garage paint job fading and the R/T stickers peeling off. Bad investment. Stupid idea.

The old vehicles are like gold mining was back in the day. Tons of people dump loads of money into something that most likely will never turn out. Some lucky ones get rich but most get screwed. I have been at this game for 20 years and never bought one with the intentions of making serious money on it. The plan and simple truth of the matter is unless your grandmother hands you down a rare and mint vehicle that is all original and you find the right person you will never make money in the game. When you make a bundle off of one you will lose it on another. And if you are restoring a vehicle never plan on getting out of it what you have in it. The whole point is to find the one you love, build it and enjoy it till you die. Cause if you take it to me or another shop the only person that is going to make money on your car is me or the other shop owner. But a sucker is born every minute and there is someone out there with that "rare" one who is willing to let you pay a load for it and laugh his head off all the way to the bank. And there is a shop out there that needs more business. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people I have warned about restoring that rare one. I will set down with them and run the numbers and then give them a realistic price of what they will get back out of the car. And it would amaze you how many of them don't care. Some how they think the BJ guys are going to accept their car and the bids are going to roll in like money falling out of the heavens. Tons of half finished ones setting around when the funds dried up and reality kicked in.

If this guy wants to see a rare 2x with a 454 he can take a look at mine. I have an all original 3500 with a factory LS6, air conditioning, deluxe interior, all the bells and whistles, and I paid next to nothing for it and am now restoring it. When I get it done will I ask 40-60K for it? No. I love the truck and know it isn't and will never be worth anywhere near that amount. I am building it for myself and want to enjoy it. That is what this old car thing is supposed to be all about. Not a spoiled rich kid game. And people need to remember that the TV shows need shock value to get viewers. Most of those cars on those shows aren't worth anywhere near what they say they are. Unless they want to set on them for years at a time. And if they can do that they don't need the cash out of the cars in the first place. Why do people think so many restoration resalers are dumping half finished cars like they were hot. They see the writing on the wall and know what is coming.

And if the OP wants a truck like the one he posted I have a friend who has a 78 3/4 ton with a 454, air, tilt, etc. that he will let go for 3k. It is black with a laser straight body and has never been touched. I believe it has around 130k on the odometer. Still has the old white rims on it. The only down side is that it sports red interior and that is the deal killer for me.

Sorry for the long post but this garbage of over priced vehicles drives me insane and doesn't let younger car lovers enjoy the old muscle cars and trucks that we grew up with and that is a total shame! They were built to be driven, not set in some rich guys living room next to his trophy wife so he can feel better about his wasted life and his little ****.

Drive them don't museum them!!!!
78 Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
walkerb

Also when the price of scrap was 250-350 a ton everyone scrapped these things alone with parts. Thats when i saw prices start to move upwards. And that I cant find rust or rot free stuff in NY
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #34
andrewmp6

Somethings i see listed just makes me laugh,Every 350 is from a corvette half the ford 302 are from a boss.Or a g body on 24s or bigger is worth 10k when its a rolling rusted out pos.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
legendman

Here in the northeast shortbed 2wd squares are getting rare, I brought the truck below for $500 and sold it for $1200 (had to put a trans in it $125 and put the wheels and tires on it $100 and about a $100 to trailer it back to my house)

Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
Hevy

Read the ad again, he's asking $3500 for the truck not 11K.
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevy View Post
read the ad again, he's asking $3500 for the truck not 11k.
exactly

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
80SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
LOL!

Now that is a serious lawmower...

Most guys throw their lawnmower in the back of the pickup...

Keith needs a tandem trailer and a commercial licence.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #39
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

73-76 are worth a ton in California
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #40
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy View Post
Read the ad again, he's asking $3500 for the truck not 11K.
He is now cause I kindly emailed him and explained to him the issue. Showed him ten examples of trucks that were similar and their pricing. Imglad he understands what I showed him better than others. Mailing him and being rude and him being constantly disappointed by what he would think was low ball offers
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #41
andrewmp6

I'm shocked he lowered the price that much,Says it has some rust but it looks like a fresh paint job why wasn't the rust taken care of then?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
johnnyclack

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
He is now cause I kindly emailed him and explained to him the issue. Showed him ten examples of trucks that were similar and their pricing. Imglad he understands what I showed him better than others. Mailing him and being rude and him being constantly disappointed by what he would think was low ball offers
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice of you to help this fellow out, some folks are just out of touch with the Ol' truck market.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #43
LEEVON

I was going to say, that's a $3500 truck. They just don't command top dollar. They will rise in value as the earlier trucks get used up though. I sold this gem for $6900 and was very happy. '87 swb 350tbi/700R4, tilt, cruise, power windows/lock, dual tanks, didn't leak a single drop, absolutely everything working down to ice cold a/c. The last one like this I had trouble selling at $4500 and traded it off. Unless they're nut-and-bolt restored show trucks they're still just popular to "us" and let's face it 99% of "us" are regular dudes who spend hard earned dollars carefully. To everybody else they're still just trucks. But to answer the OP's question I DO think they're are gaining in value, because of time and economic rebound.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #44
bojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
73-76 are worth a ton in California
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say that to group all squares together in this conversation might not be accurate. I think the 73-76 is its own category as far as value. That though would only be to guys in the know. General public probably would have to have the differences pointed out to them. I would pay more for a clean 76 than a clean 87, average Joe probably would not or wouldn't know to.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #45
johnnyclack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I was going to say, that's a $3500 truck. They just don't command top dollar. They will rise in value as the earlier trucks get used up though. I sold this gem for $6900 and was very happy. '87 swb 350tbi/700R4, tilt, cruise, power windows/lock, dual tanks, didn't leak a single drop, absolutely everything working down to ice cold a/c. The last one like this I had trouble selling at $4500 and traded it off. Unless they're nut-and-bolt restored show trucks they're still just popular to "us" and let's face it 99% of "us" are regular dudes who spend hard earned dollars carefully. To everybody else they're still just trucks. But to answer the OP's question I DO think they're are gaining in value, because of time and economic rebound.
And some of us might even remember what these trucks sold for " Brand New"
And it's tuff to spend twice much + twenty five years later
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #46
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
Now that is a serious lawmower...

Most guys throw their lawnmower in the back of the pickup...

Keith needs a tandem trailer and a commercial licence.
Yeah, but if GM finds out he is towing that big of tractor and trailer behind the little ˝ ton truck with that super cool & rare 3 speed (with overdrive) trans they might cancel his warranty . I don’t think those transmissions were intended to even pull a greasy string out of a Coke bottle. Looks like it has done a fine job for many of years
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
INSIDIOUS '86

When I first started looking for struck I wanted to get a 68 shorty couldn't get it for under 3k four years ago if they were even rough. Got my square for $2800 after taxes from a dealer and it was factory fresh then just looked like an old truck. I couldn't find one for that now. Seems that in the four years since avg price went from say 1500 to 2500 for a simple truck and shorties are a little higher depending on condition. Most have a good amount of work done and sell about $3500-6000 here for shortbeds

Although I agree the 73-79 early year trucks seem to be in a different market than the 80's trucks. When fixed they are usually a whole grand more on avg. but when rusted they are dirt cheap(Er) got my step side as a shell for $500 and its pretty solid.
Posted via Mobile Deep crust pizza
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511

Last edited by INSIDIOUS '86; 09-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #48
Skunksmash

I wouldn't pay more than $1,500-$2000 for one of these old trucks. That's all I've ever paid. In TX that will buy you a runner with no rust. I paid $1,500 for my 87 and I thought that was too much. At the time I was thinking about $1000 was more like it but I really needed a vehicle and I wanted another one of these trucks. From reading this thread, it sounds like all these prices are based on your area. Some of you live in a bad area for this, while others like me live in an area where they're cheap and abundant. I can't drive through town without seeing at least 5 of these things. At least 5, a lot more if I count those I pass that are parked in back yards or driveways.

I see a lot of talk about rich guys in this thread but then I also get the impression that many of you are looking for a cheap, no work needed truck. Where is the fun in that? I wouldn't buy a truck that didn't need any work. Why not just buy a much newer vehicle and have newer tech and better gas mileage and more luxuries?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #49
TwoFiftyShifter

Rust free K20 I sold in 2010 got me 4000 so quick that I could have asked 5000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
TwoFiftyShifter

It was probably. 2500 dollar truck down south
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device