The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
INSIDIOUS '86

Are these trucks getting more valuable in todays market?

A truck surfaced in my area and while I don't agree with the price he quotes 11k for the truck based off a nada guide? Is nada like this typically? Or are squares getting up there in price in general?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4056828861.html
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Are these trucks getting more valuable in todays market?

The problem with today’s truck prices is too many people watch Barrett-Jackson, Counting Cars, etc. and think every old vehicle is worth a bundle. I can’t believe the $1200 junkers on Craigslist where people all of a sudden think they are all $5,000 to $10,000 goldmines. It would be interesting to know where NADA is getting their numbers.

The link you posted is a very nice truck but not $11,340 nice in my opinion unless they have $7,840 cash stashed in the glovebox. That truck would be a $3,500 truck around here.....Or at least would have been before all the car flipping shows hit the TV waves as of the last couple years. At the end of the day, a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

And see here this absolute gem of a ride going for a not bad price IMO http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4036595360.html

I just have never seen these trucks even at auctions do very amazing at all. People still drive them with lawn mowers in the back and the fact...millions made haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
kjc292

I think people are watching those shows that think hey i spend a 1000-2000 on a truck. look for little rust(not that hard depending on where you are, clean up the inside, do the easy fixes and sell it twice as much. But also with the economy somewhat coming up people think these trucks will sell more. I bought mine for 1100 and the only rust is just surface rust that nothing more than a flapper disc and some rustolium paint wont take care of. but in general as time goes on the later 70's truck will be more valuable. just like like the 67-72 trucks are very sought after, in ten years so will these trucks. not to mention what they're doing to these newer trucks, making them "the global look" no wonder people are buying older trucks, i like my truck to look different. not to bash anybody with a new truck, id want one in a heat beat. I did see this truck from a dealer(a little iffy) but worth a good look. to me it seems reasonable depending on the quality of the paint job.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4050479629.html
2002 mustang auto v6 - girlfriends daily driver.

Debt just means that you had more fun than you're suppose to have

Last edited by kjc292; 09-10-2013 at 02:58 AM.
kjc292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
A truck surfaced in my area and while I don't agree with the price he quotes 11k for the truck based off a nada guide? Is nada like this typically? Or are squares getting up there in price in general?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4056828861.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep an eye on this truck, I bet it will still be on CL a year from now. I see tons of overpriced squares in Houston's CL that never seem to sell for the asking price and they keep getting posted over and over again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
andrewmp6

11k for that truck what has he been smoking?Its been repainted but they didn't touch the bed.The front bumper is smashed up and the rear bumper is bent down from pulling a trailer too much.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
bojak

It might also be regional. I know here in Georgia they are not really gaining in value. I have a friend who has a 2wd sb that has 25k in performance building into it from the motor through the axels, and that is just what he will admit to in front of his wife, And he will let it go for 8500 today. Body is super clean, Paint (original) has some blims but overall for body and interior its a solid A car. A paint job away from a show car. That being said I wouldn't sell you mine even if I could get every dime I got in it back out. So I guess mine is gaining in value but that has more to do with "cuz I aint right. "
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Or are squares getting up there in price in general?
I say no.

These trucks havent quite turned the corner to bring the money that say the 67-72's bring. You can make money on 67-72's but I dont feel that you can do the same with squares.

As with any vehicle, a truck thats super clean, super low miles, a 1 owner, etc. can & will be the exception to my answer.

Hopefully these trucks will have their day & they wont get skipped over for the 88-98's right away.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

Look where it located, Redmond Washington, same area where Microsoft and all other techies grew up or live, same guys who paid ridiculous amounts of money on the muslce cars and drove the prices well up on them. Yeah it could sell for around that price. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
77ChevySharkBite

Well something I realized along time ago whenever you restore a truck like ours no matter how much money you put into it, you won't get it back you might can get half but that would still be pushing it.

I mean for me I'm like bojak, I'm not going to get rid of my truck because yeah in the end I might have 30k or whatever invested in it, but it's the idea of you doing all the work that will make the truck special and the compliments will make that money worth it.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Skunksmash

Quote:
And see here this absolute gem of a ride going for a not bad price IMO http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4036595360.html

I just have never seen these trucks even at auctions do very amazing at all. People still drive them with lawn mowers in the back and the fact...millions made haha
Posted via Mobile Device
I've often wondered when these trucks will take a big price jump, but I think its going to be a long while yet. For example, you can still get the 60-66 models and such around here for $1,200-$1,500. Granted they're not showroom, and may not even run, but I've seen 'em for that price with the engine and trans still in there. A guy down the road from me has two of them side by side just sitting in his pasture. I'm sure if I offered him something within reason (given the state of the trucks) he'd probably take it. That said, the squares are even newer, and more abundant. Makes me think its going to be 20 or 30 years before they really start seeing the higher prices.

I think that the real value of these old trucks is that people seem to still like them. Anyone who really wants one can find a decent one for pretty cheap, but how many people actually do? People ask me about my truck a lot and say they love old trucks, but none of them seem to ever dive off into the hobby.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Keith Seymore

Quote:
People still drive them with lawn mowers in the back and the fact...millions made haha
LOL!

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
bojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
I've often wondered when these trucks will take a big price jump, but I think its going to be a long while yet. For example, you can still get the 60-66 models and such around here for $1,200-$1,500. Granted they're not showroom, and may not even run, but I've seen 'em for that price with the engine and trans still in there. A guy down the road from me has two of them side by side just sitting in his pasture. I'm sure if I offered him something within reason (given the state of the trucks) he'd probably take it. That said, the squares are even newer, and more abundant. Makes me think its going to be 20 or 30 years before they really start seeing the higher prices.

I think that the real value of these old trucks is that people seem to still like them. Anyone who really wants one can find a decent one for pretty cheap, but how many people actually do? People ask me about my truck a lot and say they love old trucks, but none of them seem to ever dive off into the hobby.
Cool and quick story on "value." I live in in a wealthy area. I am not. So I load my boys up to run to the store in my square. Spot this VW van/camino thing with a surfboard mounted up top. Cruise over because we thought it was cool, and Rutledge Wood from speed channel and Top Gear (local guy) was driving it. We check out each others rides and give each other the thumbs up and nods. My boys and wife thought it was really cool that the TV guy thought dad had a cool truck. This was in a parking lot full of Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's. Not sure how you "value" being cool in your families eyes but I put it way up there. Not really on topic as far as dollar value, but that was when I realized the value of my truck to me.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
cory d

i just bought one that we brought home in a pile for 400 bucks. maybe end up with a $3000 truck. i hope. or put a smashed bumper on it. then ask $11,000
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojak View Post
Cool and quick story on "value." I live in in a wealthy area. I am not. So I load my boys up to run to the store in my square. Spot this VW van/camino thing with a surfboard mounted up top. Cruise over because we thought it was cool, and Rutledge Wood from speed channel and Top Gear (local guy) was driving it. We check out each others rides and give each other the thumbs up and nods. My boys and wife thought it was really cool that the TV guy thought dad had a cool truck. This was in a parking lot full of Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's. Not sure how you "value" being cool in your families eyes but I put it way up there. Not really on topic as far as dollar value, but that was when I realized the value of my truck to me.
I've got a similar story:

I had been driving a company vehicle for a month or so and my son James was between vehicles, so he was driving Lil Red.

He drove the truck to work one day and parked out in the corner, by his bosses' brand new BMW Z6.

One of the students came in and said "hey, what's that sitting out there?" so the receptionist, apparently fielding this question somewhat regularly during the day, started her explanation: "oh, well that's Bob's new BMW...it's a Z6 and..."

Cutting her off, the student said "no - I'm talking about that old red pickup!"

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Rubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
LOL!

Nice Cub Cadet Keith!! Got a 74 109 at home. Sorry for the derail....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
meter swinger

Most of the squares around here seem to be priced well with some exceptions like the one insidious 86 posted. I don't think they have enough widespread recognition yet within the automotive collector community yet to see the prices go up nationwide like the 67-72's, but this will inevitably change as the population ages and guys want to build the truck that their dad drove or they drove in highschool.
Right now i think you can get a 50's chevy truck cheaper than a 67-72.

Its been a few years but I paid 5G for my 59 swb and even back then the 67-72's were more expensive on average. I've seen some really nice shortbed squares on CL around here and once the price gets above 8G they seem to stay for sale indefinately. Guys just aren't willing to pay that much for them yet. The exception seems to be the 2WD blazers, they seem to go a little quicker.
I had an old worn out F150 that I traded straight across on a 78 SWB gmc that had sat on a car lot for 2yrs. They wanted 2G for it and nobody looked at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
tucsonjwt

The southwest U.S. still has lots of squares for sale for $3,000-$5,000 in very good condition. So, I don't know why anyone would want to buy one for over $10,000. Even if you have no skills, the mechanical restoration can be done by any mechanic for not a lot of money. If you plan a true driver, then a MAACO paint job will suffice. Lots of other work requires little or no skill (that's where I make my contribution). Even a nicely restored 30+ year old vehicle will need repairs because things just wear out over time.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojak View Post
. Not sure how you "value" being cool in your families eyes but I put it way up there. Not really on topic as far as dollar value, but that was when I realized the value of my truck to me.
I couldn't agree more. You can't throw a rock around here and not hit an audi. I have nothing against them, i just dont find new stuff appealing. I take my sons to 5-6 car shows a year on average and they get almost as excited as christmas day.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
kevinr1970

Quote:
Send the guy above, the ad below.
They are different trucks (3/4 2wd vs. 1/2 4x4), but the one below, judging just by the pictures seems like a good deal.
The one above is just rediculous... you would need to fix both bumpers and the widshield before you could even consider asking the price below, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc292 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore View Post
Look where it located, Redmond Washington, same area where Microsoft and all other techies grew up or live...
The greater Seattle area (including Redmond) covers the spectrum of income from the lowest to the highest, ghettos (areas of South Seattle) to one of the richest people on earth (Bill Gates on the shores of Lake Washington in Medina). So maybe the seller is hoping to land the big suck.. er, fish?

I have yet to see NADA be accurate for value on a square, or really any car over about 10 years old.
WA DMV uses NADA values for tax purposes, unless you can provide proof of value (what work is needed). Both my '91 crews had book values of over $5k, and I paid less for both???

PS; the first truck has been listed before, I believe for the same price.
I put price limits on my searches on CL of $350 - $8500. $350 eliminates the dealers puting "payment" amount instead of list price, and I am not interested in anything more that $8500, so I have not seen it lately, but if has been listed continuously it has been listed for at least a year. Good luck!
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Rich84

I was at a car show in Thomaston, Ct. on Sunday. It was the largest turnout they ever had. Maybe 300 cars..I saw 3 Squares...One was mine. Most of the Squarebodies around here are working trucks.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #22
INSIDIOUS '86

Yes a lot of squares I see are working trucks. Longbeds can be had anytime for almost free sometimes. Only the shorties bring in some good money time to time

It seems the 67-72 are so pricey since they were at the hight of the muscle car era and the fact that there was only five years of them vs the 201 odd years of squares.

There's been quite a few that I have noticed that are up there in price but not value.

When I got my short bed 4-1/2 years ago the could be had for $1000 all stock and straight. That's gone up to $2200 on avg.

Has Anyone else's avg prices start to inflate some over the years?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
mongoose

a rust free truck goes for a decent price up here.. like 5k a lot of guys price em higher than that... long beds are a bit cheap but there seems to be a HEAVY premium on a clean one..

they're just behind g bodies now as far as the next big price jumper IMO.. cant buy a decent gbody for less than 4 g's..
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
D13

We made millions of these trucks. Prices have gone up, but other than the exceptional ones (like clean low mile shortbeds) they are never going to go crazy. $1500 will buy you a runner all day, here in MI. I bet I can find 15 of them on CL under $2500, at that level you can expect a decent runner, needs rockers / corners / some door love. $7000 will buy de-rusted repainted nice SBC rebuilt drive train, or pretty clean BBC short bed loaded. To go over $8500 there had better be something truely unique. They have no 'rare' factor to the populace, were not the 'muscle car' machines, and cost a lot of $$$ to make into hardcore corner turners. Most people drove them in the day not by choice, but because they needed a truck. I like them because they are simple, parts are available (although not cheap any more), and they are easy to get in and out of.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
bnoon

454 with AC does come at a premium, but dang!
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote