The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
69chevytrucker

Re: What will fit for power brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder213 View Post
I've got a 70 k20. with drums all around

found a matching front and rear axle pair out of a 73, the front matched mine perfectly, d 44 5cf just with disc brakes,

just pulled everything from the knuckle out, (spindle, and disc backing plates, and hubs, and always the extra hardware)
got new rotors, calipers and pads.

and you definitely need a DISC master cylinder, from the junker would work if you plan on keeping drums in the rear. if you plan on going disc in the rear, I used a 86 corvette master cylinder, but had to cut about a half inch off the plunger coming out of the booster.

so for 4 wheel drive, the 73 worked great for me.
73 is getting hard to find mid 80's are pretty easy to find
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
oldcane
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the answers guys but I think I'll go with a new kit after all. The pictures will help when I decide to swap to 5-lug.
oldcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #28
ChevyLvr4Life

Hey 69chevytrucker, you mentioned you used an 85 truck for your parts, did the rear axles come from the same truck? Since our trucks have 12 bolt rear ends I didn't think the mid 80's rear ends were the same, if so that's great. I'm wanting to do this swap sometime as I have all drums also. I've got a lead on a mid 80's truck to use for the brakes, but wasn't sure the axles would interchange.

1970 Chevy C10 LWB 307 3OTT 3.73 gear
ChevyLvr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #29
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyLvr4Life View Post
Hey 69chevytrucker, you mentioned you used an 85 truck for your parts, did the rear axles come from the same truck? Since our trucks have 12 bolt rear ends I didn't think the mid 80's rear ends were the same, if so that's great. I'm wanting to do this swap sometime as I have all drums also. I've got a lead on a mid 80's truck to use for the brakes, but wasn't sure the axles would interchange.
i lucked out who ever had the 85 before me put a rear out of a 69 im guessing and bought the 5 lug swap axles cause when i pulled the axle shafts out i was shocked they were the right length and they werent supposed to be unless im wrong about the fit but when i took the cover off the rear it was siliconed on
but you could always just use the whole rear end swap it all
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote