The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #26
B_Bob

Re: What to do about a bent frame???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '63-'66 frames are basically the same, with a few minor differences. There are 2 different 2 piece driveshafts. There is the light duty driveshaft which has the whimpy carrier bearing that hangs from the top of the trailing arm crossmember. Then there is the heavy duty driveshaft which has larger diameter tube driveshafts and the much better carrier bearing that mounts on a bracket on the bottom of the trailing arm crossmember. IMO it is the light duty driveshaft and carrier bearing that is responsible for so many truck owners hating the 2 piece driveshaft and wanting to go to a one piece.

Sorry for the hijack B_Bob
No worries. All good info is welcome here. I'll keep the lite vs heavy driveshaft in mind when assembling.

On a related note, if I go with a SWB and I'm using a T5 w/ s10 tail, can I use a 1 piece driveshaft? I will be lowering about 4 to 5 inches out back as well.
B_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #27
1963chevyc20

A bill of sale might be sufficient, but I would check with your local DMV regarding the issue of having different VINs on the frame and body. It may not be an issue in AZ, but it is better to find out for sure beforehand rather than after the fact and have an issue.

I did a build on a 74 k20 and it had the frame bent to the left by 3 feet. I just purchased a new frame and took bindi to the old vin and took my small grinder and put the truck vin on it.
1963chevyc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #28
jtrichard

i dont know about other states but in calif if the VIN is altered in any way the vehicle is to be considered STOLEN... so if you do a frame change here you go to the highway patrol and the will do vin check and issue a new vin for the whole vehicle
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #29
B_Bob

SWB it is! Straight, no rust cancer, hasn't been hacked up. Only part missing is the bell housing crossmember. I should probably just install a trans crossmember. I think I paid a little too much (800), but I did get a legit notarized bill of sale so that I can do the swap without the fear of the G man confiscating my ride.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #30
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah that is a little steep, but a nice short bed frame is getting hard to find. Plus one with some paperwork to make it legal.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #31
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yeah that is a little steep, but a nice short bed frame is getting hard to find. Plus one with some paperwork to make it legal.
That's what I was thinking, pay a little more for a mostly untouched frame with paperwork.

I had found 1 SWB roller. That one was 500. It had been sand blasted and showed signs of deep rust. Also had missing brackets and no paperwork.

I also looked at 2 LWB frames. One had been hacked and cut in a failed attempt to notch the rear and replace crossmembers. 250 and no paperwork. The other was just the frame with no paperwork for 300.

I wish I could have found a GMC frame as they don't have vin stamps, but now I can start wrenching again.

Interesting bit. The stamp on the frame looks like it had a mistake corrected on the factory line. the last number was changed from a 7 to an 8. The vin on the cab was the same numbers with the last number being an 8.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #32
Lowl!f3

Get you some 2x3 and built a custom frame! Although that would cost as much if not more then getting that frame for 1k.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #33
supercharged

I would drive a bent truck.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #34
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
I would drive a bent truck.
I do drive it with the bent frame! It drives well, but I want to lower the truck and if I'm going to put money into a frame, I want it to be straight.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
spacedebris

well you know, I'm a little bent myself.

Maybe it could offset the bent frame?
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
Bomp

Good job finding the SWB frame. May be a little expensive up front but piece of mind is priceless.
Cutting down a box isn't all that hard. I did mine first thing. Measure, measure, measure and measure 10 more times. I used an 1/8th" cutting disk and it went real smooth.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote