The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
B_Bob

What to do about a bent frame???

Hey guys, sooooooo I got a little problemo......... I was poking around under my truck, getting ready to take it apart to swap crossmember, when I noticed that the frame rails forward of the crossmember are bent. I hate to put a bunch of work into a frame that is bent, so the question is, what do I do about it?
I could:

1. Not worry about it as it seems to only be forward of the crossmember.

2. Take it to a shop to have it straightened out. (how many $? will it be 100% straight?)

3. Get a new frame.

I just don't want to throw good money after bad. I have a line on a SWB 1965 rolling chassis for 1k. Seems a little steep, but would solve my problem.

So, what do you guys think?

OK, go...............
Attached Images

B_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
jtrichard

Re: What to do about a bent frame???

looks like she got smacked pretty good some time in her life I would check around and see if there are any "GOOD" frame shops around and get a price its really not that bad I have straightened far worse in my yard .. the bend in the front member looks like it might be from a chain hooked on to pull it out of somewhere and they yanked it hard .. cant tell if the rust is just from the bends or if some one has had heat on there already trying to straighten it before if so they did not know what they were doing
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah, that's definitely bent. Looking at the pic of the drivers side, it looks like maybe the top flange was also bent but has been straightened? How are the gaps on all your front sheetmetal? If the gaps look good, it may have already been straightened. You might check with a shop with a frame machine and see what they would charge to just check the frame for straightness. If your frame is bent, you might consider that other frame. If you do decide to swap frames, be sure you have the paperwork you need to make it legal in your county or state, since the frame will have a different VIN than the cab.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
BADAZ chevy guy

I would find another frame. They are out there. I just picked up a 2WD frame for $200.00 with a complete front suspension and rear axle, and I passed on a 4WD frame a month ago for $150.00 Just need to keep looking.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
ol_skool_chevy

don't look at it...........I have done a lot of frame repair and your is not bad unless you just don't like it. But its not bad enough to effect the driving of the truck...

BUT, if you want to fix it..get the torch out, heat it up and get a port-a-power on it and bend it back...

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy View Post
BUT, if you want to fix it..get the torch out, heat it up and get a port-a-power on it and bend it back...
I don't want to add an expert opinion (because I am NOT) however I was surprised how much I straightened a El Camino frame with a MAPP gas torch, some long levers, a couple of small sledge hammers. The ram off my engine hoist.

Can you measure the frame now? From underneath of course. If its good. Be careful messing with that bend.

If you are having to have it straight. Try it yourself 1st. What do you have to lose?
my 2 cents.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
NONHOG

Our own Lou shows a method here..... http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...hing-the-frame

About 6:50 is where the frame work starts.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
I don't want to add an expert opinion (because I am NOT) however I was surprised how much I straightened a El Camino frame with a MAPP gas torch, some long levers, a couple of small sledge hammers. The ram off my engine hoist.

Can you measure the frame now? From underneath of course. If its good. Be careful messing with that bend.

If you are having to have it straight. Try it yourself 1st. What do you have to lose?
my 2 cents.
I couldn't really get an accurate measure from underneath on the front of the truck, however, as I have the bed off right now I measured from a few points along the rear frame rails diagonally and found a 1/2" discrepancy. So that would mean that the whole rail needs to be pulled 1/4" back as well as the bent portions in the front. Looking more like a new frame, or maybe a new truck is in my future!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yeah, that's definitely bent. Looking at the pic of the drivers side, it looks like maybe the top flange was also bent but has been straightened? How are the gaps on all your front sheetmetal? If the gaps look good, it may have already been straightened. You might check with a shop with a frame machine and see what they would charge to just check the frame for straightness. If your frame is bent, you might consider that other frame. If you do decide to swap frames, be sure you have the paperwork you need to make it legal in your county or state, since the frame will have a different VIN than the cab.
I think you're right about it having been straightened before. The places where it is bent are also a bit rusty looking. Probably from heating up to bend the metal and burning off the paint. Gaps are not too bad, but I don't think the PO did a proper job. Any idea of the paperwork needed to swap the frame? I thought a bill of sale would do.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
B_Bob

Here's another pic from the passenger side. I think that the impact was more on that side as I also have inner fender damage there.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
padresag

I would just check with a frame shop and find out for sure. opinions on these are just you know what and everyone has them. find out from someone who's trade it is and then take it from there.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
BADAZ chevy guy

Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
hotrod66

if it was mine i would just swap it you have to take the body off to paint the frame properly any way. just swapped mine it wasn't bad and now its a short bed like i wanted to begin with.Name:  SAM_0108.jpg
Views: 3362
Size:  76.9 KB
Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod66 View Post
if it was mine i would just swap it you have to take the body off to paint the frame properly any way. just swapped mine it wasn't bad and now its a short bed like i wanted to begin with.Attachment 1247248
If I can find one, I think that's the route I'll go. I've only found 1 for sale, but I think $1000 is too much. I'll keep looking though.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A bill of sale might be sufficient, but I would check with your local DMV regarding the issue of having different VINs on the frame and body. It may not be an issue in AZ, but it is better to find out for sure beforehand rather than after the fact and have an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Bob View Post
I think you're right about it having been straightened before. The places where it is bent are also a bit rusty looking. Probably from heating up to bend the metal and burning off the paint. Gaps are not too bad, but I don't think the PO did a proper job. Any idea of the paperwork needed to swap the frame? I thought a bill of sale would do.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
B_Bob

I've found a couple more frames for sale. I've decided to do the frame swap. Now the question is LWB or SWB.

The LWB I found is $200. Missing the bell housing member.

The SWB i2 $500. It's a full roller including steering box rear end, and wheels.

If I go with the LWB I'd have to make a trans crossmember for my T5, but everything else will just bolt on.

If I go with the SWB I'd have to have my bed cut down or source a new short box.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #17
B_Bob

Here's some pics of the frames. Also, the SWB has been sand blasted, so less clean up work for me.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
KJSR

What do you want?? I wanted a LWB so I could haul crap around the farm. If I was building a hot rod, it would be a SWB.....
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
B_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSR View Post
What do you want?? I wanted a LWB so I could haul crap around the farm. If I was building a hot rod, it would be a SWB.....
I'm just going for a simple cruiser. Nothing too fancy. It'll be lowered (not bagged) and have white 20" steelies, power steering, power disk brakes. I'm leaning toward SWB, but cringe at taking on cutting down the bed.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
hotrod66

yea i hear you about the bed cutting. as-long as you measure 2 or 3 times it wont be bad dont forget space a-few inches out and cool your welds with compressed air every tack. i have a short bed but its pretty rough. but i have nothing to loose so at some point in time i will cut down my long bed. if you can patch sheet-metal you will be okay.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
ol_skool_chevy

Not to hijack of steal your thread but, in short does anyone know the difference between a 64-65-66 frame or are they Exactly the same? I found one with the carrier bearing hangs...My 66 stands up

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
B_Bob

Quote:
Not to hijack of steal your thread but, in short does anyone know the difference between a 64-65-66 frame or are they Exactly the same? I found one with the carrier bearing hangs...My 66 stands up
Good question. I guess I just assumed they were the same. My 65 mounts to the bottom as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
BADAZ chevy guy

Quote:
DANGER!!! Thread derailment!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #24
hotrod66

Quote:
65 66 are the same ,63 64 are the same the difference is track bar mount on the frame, due to mounts on rear axle 66,65 axles have cast-in track bar mounts 63,64 are welded to axle tube closer to the passenger side
Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'66 frames are basically the same, with a few minor differences. There are 2 different 2 piece driveshafts. There is the light duty driveshaft which has the whimpy carrier bearing that hangs from the top of the trailing arm crossmember. Then there is the heavy duty driveshaft which has larger diameter tube driveshafts and the much better carrier bearing that mounts on a bracket on the bottom of the trailing arm crossmember. IMO it is the light duty driveshaft and carrier bearing that is responsible for so many truck owners hating the 2 piece driveshaft and wanting to go to a one piece.

Sorry for the hijack B_Bob