The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
davepl

Re: why safety glasses are so important warning pics inside my upset some

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
ya dont smoke quit that 3 months ago when i had a heart attack sucks wife said im not aloud to go in garage or she will divorce me so i guess i wont be finishing my truck this year .. hole new meaning to putting my blood sweat and tears into this truck
Bah. I smoked for 30 years, pack and a half a day. Started when I was 12. Couldn't hold a wrench without one. Couldn't type without one. Couldn't envision doing anything without one. When you want to be done, you're done with it. I quit 3-4 years ago and never miss it. Hang out at the shop with 3 guys that smoke all the time. Two of them smoke "my" brand. They used to offer, but gave up eventually (people that want to quit seem to subconsciously sabotage those that have, it seems).

You've done that hard part; after day 7 it's all mental. Doesn't sound like you've done as well on that end. No fun sitting around digging your fingers into your arm chair waiting it out in the hopes that one day you just won't want to smoke anymore. Doesn't work that way. I "quit" 4 times that way :-)

Honestly I'd burn most self-help garbage, but there's an old book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Alan Carr. All it did was flip my perspective from giving something up to gaining something, and greed and ambition took over. You do a lot better (or at least I do) trying to get something -for- yourself than giving something up.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Bah. I smoked for 30 years, pack and a half a day. Started when I was 12. Couldn't hold a wrench without one. Couldn't type without one. Couldn't envision doing anything without one. When you want to be done, you're done with it. I quit 3-4 years ago and never miss it. Hang out at the shop with 3 guys that smoke all the time. Two of them smoke "my" brand. They used to offer, but gave up eventually (people that want to quit seem to subconsciously sabotage those that have, it seems).

You've done that hard part; after day 7 it's all mental. Doesn't sound like you've done as well on that end. No fun sitting around digging your fingers into your arm chair waiting it out in the hopes that one day you just won't want to smoke anymore. Doesn't work that way. I "quit" 4 times that way :-)

Honestly I'd burn most self-help garbage, but there's an old book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Alan Carr. All it did was flip my perspective from giving something up to gaining something, and greed and ambition took over. You do a lot better (or at least I do) trying to get something -for- yourself than giving something up.
I quit in one day, ordered a e cig, not the little cig looking ones, I got a big stainless steel device, put the cigs down and haven't touched one in a year tomorrow. I started buying the juice for it with 18mg nicotine and worked myself down to zero nic and gave it up too. I got four people around me to buy one too, three quit and one is still trying. I tried all other methods with no luck, the e cig was awesome and a hell of a lot cheaper than cigs. I wish e cigs would have been around years ago! I feel so much better, can breath better and I seem to heal a lot faster than I used to. One bad thing, my hair and fingernails started growing much faster, don't know if it's from giving up the cigs but I can't think of any other reason.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #28
72bowtiestepper

You did everyone on this site a favor by posting your experience & showing those eye pics. I wish you all the best for your complete recovery. I have done the same thing many times over the years...used a grinder or cutoff wheel or wire wheel for "Just a second" without safety glasses....I guess I have been lucky, but after reading what happen to you, I will not ever go without eye protection in the future !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #29
NONHOG

Hope all goes well for you and your eye!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #30
69chevytrucker

thanks guys i use to think i was a tough guy when i did the old close your eyes when doing a tack weld and just look away or have your head off to the side when grinding now i only have one eye not so tough anymore i cant go back in time i just hope my stupidity is enough to knock some sense into everyone who has made the same mistake of its only for a second cause this is what happens in less then a second
Name:  IMG1577.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  IMG1580.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  41.5 KB
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Are you saying the damage is long term? I've scratched my cornea before, and tho it sucks, it does heal.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #32
69chevytrucker

went to see surgeon today he said he has no plans in putting a lens back in my eye he does not think i should have anymore surgeries too much damage caused the stitches in my
retina separated so he said see you in a month and that was it
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #33
TheBlueBomber

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've always stressed safety amongst my friends and some of them laugh at me. My friend had gotten a piece of metal stick in his eye not too long ago and the doctor had to spend a couple of hours digging it out with a needle... He started wearing safety goggles after that. Again I'm sorry for your injuries and hope you have a good recovery.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #34
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

all is not lost. I know a guy who races federal Mogul Dragster with a glass eye. Don't let this get you down
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #35
davepl

Given it's the vision, it's worth a second opinion to be sure. If one mechanic said your truck couldn't be fixed, you'd ask another. No idea if insurance covers that or what but like I said, it's your eyeball, so worth a shot.

He might be totally right. But if he's wrong, or it's a judgment call, better to know now than find out 10 years later what someone says they "could have" done.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #36
1963c-10

Sorry to hear about the injury and praying for a speedy recovery!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
69chevytrucker

all ready made appointment to see other doc's not going give up yet
Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #38
hotrod66

[QUOTE=69chevytrucker;6764731]thanks guys i use to think i was a tough guy when i did the old close your eyes when doing a tack weld and just look away or have your head off to the side when grinding now i only have one eye not so tough anymore i cant go back in time i just hope my stupidity is enough to knock some sense into everyone who has made the same mistake of its only for a second cause this is what happens in less then a second.[QUOTE=69chevytrucker;6764731]

it has my friend i am really bad about doing the same thing. seeing this has ben a wake up call for me i have ben fortunate enough to not have this happen to me yet. i hope your eye sight comes back i could only imagine what your going threw and how scary it is, in my thoughts and prayers.
sincerely David
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #39
69chevytrucker

taken to emergency on thursday eye got infected doc thought they would have to take the eye 4 surgeons looked at it found one of the stitches in my cornea was really loose and causing my cornea to swell they cut it out and now i feel much better still blind but pain from swelling gone
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #40
TheBlueBomber

Sorry about the infection. Glad they were able to find the source and help alleviate the pain. How is your recovery coming?

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #41
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Wow! That sucks! I got a sliver of metal from grinding underneath an old Packard and I was wearing safety glasses on top of my regular glasses. The doctor had to dig it out with a huge needle in the er. They said I was very lucky and could have been blinded.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #42
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber View Post
Sorry about the infection. Glad they were able to find the source and help alleviate the pain. How is your recovery coming?
thanx better now i have a bunch of drops i take the eye feels good now but im blind in my left eye now makes it hard to see things the same but im working on it and at least i got to keep the eye think it would be worse if they had to take it out
Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #43
davepl

I had four pairs of these and I ordered four more after this thread. Now I have them all over the shop and never have an excuse not to wear them.

I ordered a lot of them because I really like them and they're cheap - they're one of the few that comfortably fits my giant freak-head (but they fit the norms too).

3M TEKK Protection Forceflex Flexible Safety... 3M TEKK Protection Forceflex Flexible Safety...
Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #44
rcrahn

I am very sorry and thank you for the reminder.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
NONHOG

Was thinking about you yesterday. I was popping tiles loose and that stuff send chards of skin slicing pieces everywhere. Started off with glasses and went out in the shop and got my face shield.

Hang in there!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #46
cg285

the eye thing sucks. all the times i've had stuff dug or drilled out of my eyes over the years - i guess i have been real lucky.
and here is another one to remember. don't get stupid, like my kid, and pour gas on a fire.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #47
truckster

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Man, sometimes you just don't think anything's going to happen, and it comes back to bite you. A week and a half ago I was out riding go karts at night with my cousin on some back roads in North Carolina, having some good, clean redneck fun. Something hit my eyeball, but I didn't think too much about it.

I went swimming the next day, and that evening my eye really started to hurt. The next morning we went to the flea market, and as soon as I got out of the truck and the sun hit my eyes, my head was splitting open. I ended up in the emergency room. The ER doctor found two "objects" in my eye. He got one out pretty quick, but after digging for a while, he referred me to an opthalmologist. I went in on Monday, and the doc looked in my eye with his microscope, and called my wife over to see the piece of metal and the RUST in my eye. He got most of the metal out and cleaned up the rust, but there was a small piece of metal he said was too deep to get out safely. I'm mostly recovered now, but I'm still wearing sunglasses any time I go out.

So, to reinforce the moral of the story: You can never be too careful when it comes to your eyes.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #48
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Man, sometimes you just don't think anything's going to happen, and it comes back to bite you. A week and a half ago I was out riding go karts at night with my cousin on some back roads in North Carolina, having some good, clean redneck fun. Something hit my eyeball, but I didn't think too much about it.

I went swimming the next day, and that evening my eye really started to hurt. The next morning we went to the flea market, and as soon as I got out of the truck and the sun hit my eyes, my head was splitting open. I ended up in the emergency room. The ER doctor found two "objects" in my eye. He got one out pretty quick, but after digging for a while, he referred me to an opthalmologist. I went in on Monday, and the doc looked in my eye with his microscope, and called my wife over to see the piece of metal and the RUST in my eye. He got most of the metal out and cleaned up the rust, but there was a small piece of metal he said was too deep to get out safely. I'm mostly recovered now, but I'm still wearing sunglasses any time I go out.

So, to reinforce the moral of the story: You can never be too careful when it comes to your eyes.
ya right now i wear sunglasses in the house my eye is really sensitive to the light and its funny cause im blind but i see light which is weird so i have to have sunglasses with black tape over my left lens to block the light i get funny looks when i walk around stores with glasses on sometimes i take them off but the the looks come when people see the eye lol
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #49
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
the eye thing sucks. all the times i've had stuff dug or drilled out of my eyes over the years - i guess i have been real lucky.
and here is another one to remember. don't get stupid, like my kid, and pour gas on a fire.
lol my cousin did that 20 yrs ago caught something in his dads garage on fire and threw a 5 gallon pail of gas on it burned the house to the ground
Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #50
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
ya right now i wear sunglasses in the house my eye is really sensitive to the light and its funny cause im blind but i see light which is weird so i have to have sunglasses with black tape over my left lens to block the light i get funny looks when i walk around stores with glasses on sometimes i take them off but the the looks come when people see the eye lol
I walked into the bank today with the dark glasses on. That got some looks.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote