The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
69chevytrucker

Unhappy why safety glasses are so important warning pics inside my upset some

took my glasses of just for a second a second is all it took to make me blind
Name:  IMG1567.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  IMG1570.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG1580.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  IMG1585.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  39.7 KB
one slip with wire wheel and got piece of wire sticking out of my eye exploded my cornea i have 2 stitches in my eyeball my lens had to be removed 2 hour surgery i am now blind in my left eye all because i set my face shield just for a second spent 7 hours in waiting room with wire sticking out of my eye on friday just got home today have to go back for more surgeries over the next few months just thought i would remind everyone about safety first
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
flashed

Re: why safety glasses are so important warning pics inside my upset some

Im sorry that happened ,will your vision ever come back or is it permanent ? That is a good serious reminder to use safety glasses and I plan to especially after seeing those pics ,hope you are better soon.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
asolde

I am sorry that happen to you. I hope you can get your sight back through your surgeries. But a good reminder for all of us to ware our protective equipment. Safety is a must.
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
69chevytrucker

if my cornea heals without infection doc worried cause i was grinding a 45 yr old truck and they put a plastic lens in my eye i might get some unfocussed vision
thanks guys i just thought this would be a good reminder my wife is pissed cause i have $100s in safety stuff and i was stupid for one second
Old 07-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

God I hate seeing stuff like this. Remember folks you only get one set of eyes so take care of them like they're irreplaceable. From my family to yours wishing you a speedy and complete recovery and that your sight will return.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
davepl

Guy was just crushed here working under a vehicle with just a jack (no stands) about a week ago. That's just stupid, whereas this was bad luck and a momentary lapse of reason.

I've been paranoid since growing up in Canada where we got GREAT safety videos. Kids severely burned, the whole works. I remember one was a kid swinging a piece of barbed wire around: barb into his eye, soon as he removed it all the eye fluid ran out, and he actually lost the eye. Wish I could find them to scare my kids! Which is not to say "coulda been worse", just relating the story.

I had to use my eye-wash station (cheap on Amazon, get one) after laying under my truck and letting antifreeze run into my eyes - not on purpose, of course. Nothing like your scenario, just reiterating that they're important.

After this, I think I'm going to get a dedicated wire wheel pair and leave them there. It's soooo tempting to "just clean this little bit off" without finding safety glasses.

Best wishes on your recovery and ideally replacement of the lens. Worst case your loss will prevent a couple others of us from making the mistake. I know I'm going to be more diligent about it!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
69chevytrucker

as said above i too lost the fluid out of my eye that is why they didnt put a new lens back in yet i have gas in my eye it is really weird i just really hope you guys all stay safe and use my mistake as a lesson learned
Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Sorry about your eye! I did something similar once, using a grinder and my glasses were dirty so I took them off to finish one little spot, ended up with a piece of steel in my eye, I didn't know it because it actually penetrated the eye and was just under the surface. I suffered for two days before finally seeing my eye doc. He found the steel that had already begun to rust in my eye, had to use a little grinder to get all the rust out. Nothing worse than watching a little grinder headed straight into my eye. I got lucky and had no lasting effects but I never use any machine without safety glasses now! I went to harbor freight and bought six pair and set them by each machine in my shop.
I hope someday they can do something to repair the damage to your eye!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Sorry about your eye! I did something similar once, using a grinder and my glasses were dirty so I took them off to finish one little spot, ended up with a piece of steel in my eye, I didn't know it because it actually penetrated the eye and was just under the surface. I suffered for two days before finally seeing my eye doc. He found the steel that had already begun to rust in my eye, had to use a little grinder to get all the rust out. Nothing worse than watching a little grinder headed straight into my eye. I got lucky and had no lasting effects but I never use any machine without safety glasses now! I went to harbor freight and bought six pair and set them by each machine in my shop.
I hope someday they can do something to repair the damage to your eye!
that is what i did just one little spot left after taking glasses off but i payed with my eye and now my truck will be on hold for a bit before i have the guts to work on it again
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
that is what i did just one little spot left after taking glasses off but i payed with my eye and now my truck will be on hold for a bit before i have the guts to work on it again
I know it's no consolation but I have a friend who lost sight in his eye from a frayed cable he was using logging. He has adapted very well and when we talk about it he says it's really not been a horrible issue for him. It did take time to get used to it but he's been back at the same job and doing great. Hang in there!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I know it's no consolation but I have a friend who lost sight in his eye from a frayed cable he was using logging. He has adapted very well and when we talk about it he says it's really not been a horrible issue for him. It did take time to get used to it but he's been back at the same job and doing great. Hang in there!
ya im only a couple days in and im getting it under control walking is a little difficult but getting the hang of it my boss is ok with it knows its going to take awhile to get used to it
thanks for the support guys
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #12
trac209

This is just terrible to have happened. I've been there in that moment and I was fortunate enough to not end up with serious vision loss. I'm hoping as we all are that you can recover to the best considering the seriousness of the injury. Your situation is a big wake up call to everyone it only takes a second for something bad to happen and change your life forever.

I wish you the best of luck. Please take care
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
69chevytrucker

thanks guys believe it or not the first thing on my mind was to get pics to post in the hopes it will help others doing restos on their trucks to think safety first
Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
69chevytrucker

to think this is what i was fixing aa metal door panel
Name:  IMG1564.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  66.3 KB
Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Damn man, hope your eye is alright. I feel your pain...too bad they don't make safety glasses for the forehead! (and yes...I know face shields exist)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #16
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Damn man, hope your eye is alright. I feel your pain...too bad they don't make safety glasses for the forehead! (and yes...I know face shields exist)

lol that is funny used to get lots in the chest and arms like that never thought i would get it in the eye the forehead wow thats almost funny but not you just never know where they will fly
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
trac209

I've said this before to everyone who will listen that the wire wheel on a grinder bench or hand held is one of the most underrated deadly tools in the garage. I've seen them seriously hurt several of my friends myself included. And a friend of mine also lost vision in an eye due to a momentary lapse of concentration. I even had one launch a brissle directly into the back of my throat which resulted in a buddy digging it out with a needle nose while trying not to laugh.

These wheels deserve the same respect as a chain saw imho
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
69chevytrucker

ya i was allways more afraid of a cut off disk then the wire wheel not anymore afraid of them on the same lev
Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
ERASER5

So glad the doctors can give you hope for recovery. In those "good old days" no hope was possible. Keep up with the good attitude and follow the doctors orders. And thanks for the reminder. We all get a little careless now and then.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
69chevytrucker

all i can say now is its all fun and games till someone loses a eye
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
JointTech

Quote:
all i can say now is its all fun and games till someone loses a eye
lol im glad you said it so I didnt have to. sorry about your luck. If you smoke quit while you are healing. follow the doctors orders. Take a laxative. dont want you straining anything
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #22
swamp rat

Hope you heal up ok and can regain your sight, it must be pretty traumatic to go thru.

I had a scare a few weeks ago, i got some kind of chemical on my fingers and had an itch in my eye and rubbed it, my eye swelled up and burned pretty bad, scared me enough to call an on call emergency eye Dr. i was lucky in that the swelling went down in about 3 hours, the irritation took a couple days. What scared me the most was the fact that I'm right eye dominant and this was my right eye, if i ever lost sight in my right eye i'd live life in a blur. It was a wake up call.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
lol im glad you said it so I didnt have to. sorry about your luck. If you smoke quit while you are healing. follow the doctors orders. Take a laxative. dont want you straining anything
ya dont smoke quit that 3 months ago when i had a heart attack sucks wife said im not aloud to go in garage or she will divorce me so i guess i wont be finishing my truck this year .. hole new meaning to putting my blood sweat and tears into this truck
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #24
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
ya dont smoke quit that 3 months ago when i had a heart attack sucks wife said im not aloud to go in garage or she will divorce me so i guess i wont be finishing my truck this year .. hole new meaning to putting my blood sweat and tears into this truck
Sounds like you could finish your truck AND get rid of the cause of your stress all at the same time. That a self-fixing problem!

The fun part is now, the next time you have to get an medical imaging done...you HAVE to get the ocular scan done first, because an MRI will heat up metal fragments in your eye...seriously...I've had to do this too.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #25
69chevytrucker

well guys i guess im done for awhile made it this far in 2 yrs
Name:  IMG1495.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  76.3 KB

Name:  IMG1504.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  84.5 KB