The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #26
Tquillen

Re: Where do you have your fire extinguisher mounted?

Good for all of you guys! I've been in a car, riding down the interstate, when it burst into flames. Not fun, and it makes you appreciate having a fire extinguisher on hand (I didn't).

I build Race cars for a living, specifically drag cars. I only bring this up because when it comes to safety equipment of any kind, the questions I always ask myself when mounting things like fire extinguishers or activation handles, parachute handles, emergency shutdown switches, etc. are:

1. Will the driver be able to use this easily in an emergency situation?
2. If the driver is partially incapacitated, will they be able to find it and use it without being able to visually locate it?
3. If the car is in a wreck, what happens to this piece of equipment and its mount? Does it pose a hazard if the car goes into a roll?

Now, I know this sounds like overkill, but consider that these extinguishers can weigh 7 or 8 pounds when fully charged.....in a bad, bad wreck, these things flying around in the cab can kill you in an instant.

To echo what others have said: keep an extinguisher where you or others can get to it, and mount it as securely as possible without impeding its use.
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
That bracket is a good idea, I like it in front of the seat like that. Like you said though wouldn't be too hard to make something like that, even with hand tools and bolting it together from metal angle bought at Home Depot.

As far as the kind/brand of fire ext to buy. Its the valve assembly that matters, the nozzle can be any material. Kidde and First Alert are the only ones I know of making plastic valves and they are everywhere because they're cheap. I had a guy come into the shop with a 60ft ocean going sailboat who bought his plastic Kidde at a marine store and it's all they had. I'm sorry they had 2 sizes of them and this guy bought 2 of the smallest ones that are less than 2lbs for his God only knows how much it cost 60ft sailboat he takes out on the ocean. Anyway. Some stores will carry the metal valve models by Kidde and First Alert though. As I said before avoid Kidde if you can but if you can't get the metal valve ones. First Alert's metal valve fire ext are reliable though, not the most fun for us to recharge but they're reliable and many big box hardware stores carry them. Other good brands are Badger, PyroChem, Ansul, Sentry, Amerex, all of them only make good commercial grade fire ext.
Glad you are an industry expert. Please work with the proper consumer advocacy attorneys and get them off the market. But, I won't hold my breath. The fact is, they work! Sorry, but they do. You may choose the best of the best. I buy for the application. Cheap Chevy truck gets cheap matching bottle! And, I rest easy knowing it will work... I know for a fact! If an organization I'm engaged with has requirements, then I spend to satisfy. Else, it's factory loads for me!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #28
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
a bit off subject, but did you change the direction of your transfer case shifter?
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #29
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tquillen View Post
Good for all of you guys! I've been in a car, riding down the interstate, when it burst into flames. Not fun, and it makes you appreciate having a fire extinguisher on hand (I didn't).

I build Race cars for a living, specifically drag cars. I only bring this up because when it comes to safety equipment of any kind, the questions I always ask myself when mounting things like fire extinguishers or activation handles, parachute handles, emergency shutdown switches, etc. are:

1. Will the driver be able to use this easily in an emergency situation?
2. If the driver is partially incapacitated, will they be able to find it and use it without being able to visually locate it?
3. If the car is in a wreck, what happens to this piece of equipment and its mount? Does it pose a hazard if the car goes into a roll?

Now, I know this sounds like overkill, but consider that these extinguishers can weigh 7 or 8 pounds when fully charged.....in a bad, bad wreck, these things flying around in the cab can kill you in an instant.

To echo what others have said: keep an extinguisher where you or others can get to it, and mount it as securely as possible without impeding its use.
Excellent questions and ones I think about concerning all emergency gear.

I taped one of those spring-loaded window shattering punches to the ceiling arm grab thingie in my daily driver. I put it up in such a way that it will come off easily. It's out of the way, won't move around anywhere, and I can get to it even in total darkness. I practice emergency escapes out of my car from time to time and losing those 20 pounds will help with that.

Talking about cheap-o's, buy the best you can and go on. If that best has a plastic nozzle, well that's fine, those work too.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #30
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Glad you are an industry expert. Please work with the proper consumer advocacy attorneys and get them off the market. But, I won't hold my breath. The fact is, they work! Sorry, but they do. You may choose the best of the best. I buy for the application. Cheap Chevy truck gets cheap matching bottle! And, I rest easy knowing it will work... I know for a fact! If an organization I'm engaged with has requirements, then I spend to satisfy. Else, it's factory loads for me!
One last thing. It occurred to me that maybe you were offended by my criticizing your choice in product. I've been in those shoes, criticized for a less expensive product that works fine for me, it does suck and I apologize for it. Considering this is a life safety product and that basically only those in the fire ext service industry have experience with as large a sample of different brands and models (literally tens of thousands of fire ext per year) I felt I was providing a service to the board in sharing my experience. You obviously feel differently and I apologize for any offense, it wasn't directed at you.

Unless you work with/for Kidde, then I retract any apology.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #31
BugzC10

Passenger side kick panel is where I mounted mine.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #32
TheBracketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
This may have some value.

http://www.thebracketeer.com/

I have been told that the metal nozzle-units are the ones to buy.

I carry a 5 lbs CO2 unit in addition to my 2.5 dry chemical unit for gas station fires. Just in case I get a fume ignition at the pump....no need for a bunch of powder down into my tank.

I'm sure just about anyone with some fabrication skills could work up a suitable floor mount. I guess I'll go for on the hump unless I can attach it to the front of the seat.

Thanks for the info Overdriven!
Thanks for finding my product. FYI, my motivation for inventing this was putting out 4 car fires in my life. Needless to say I'm an advocate of carrying an extinguisher ... but didn't want it sitting loosely in the car where it could become a projectile in an accident, and didn't want it in the trunk where it is useless if you are rear-ended or if you are pinned in the car.

I've sold over 1,000 since launching it and designed it to fit as many vehicles as possible. It's not so compatible with bench seats (it either clamps onto the seat rail or bolts to the seat mount points) ... but fits just about anything with buckets.

If anyone is interested, I'll offer free domestic shipping ... just use the code "free shipping" at checkout at www.thebracketeer.com

I'll attach some pics:

TheBracketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #33
Ugly71C20

Diy4x makes a beefy quick release mount in both bolt or weld on versions. http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17833. I run one in my K5, I should probably get one in the C20 too
Ugly71C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #34
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
a bit off subject, but did you change the direction of your transfer case shifter?
Hey Dazza,

No it's the original 205 stick in the original position. Plus check out my knob. I had a blank engraved at things remembered at the mall. Came out great! Don't think I ever posted pics of it completed, took me a couple passes to get the paint filled in the engraving. Came out great though.

Here I looked up my old thread on the knob. Never posted a pic with the paint completed. Anyhow you all may get a laugh out the engravers misspelling!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=662501

Last edited by jeffahart; 09-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #35
DT1

I removed my stock glove box and made an oversize one. That's now where I keep my extinguisher.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #36
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBracketeer View Post
Thanks for finding my product. FYI, my motivation for inventing this was putting out 4 car fires in my life. Needless to say I'm an advocate of carrying an extinguisher ... but didn't want it sitting loosely in the car where it could become a projectile in an accident, and didn't want it in the trunk where it is useless if you are rear-ended or if you are pinned in the car.

I've sold over 1,000 since launching it and designed it to fit as many vehicles as possible. It's not so compatible with bench seats (it either clamps onto the seat rail or bolts to the seat mount points) ... but fits just about anything with buckets.

If anyone is interested, I'll offer free domestic shipping ... just use the code "free shipping" at checkout at www.thebracketeer.com

Well that's great man. Your first post on this forum was because of one of my posts.

It is a neat idea and I wish you much success with it. I may even buy one for my car.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #37
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly71C20 View Post
Diy4x makes a beefy quick release mount in both bolt or weld on versions. http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17833. I run one in my K5, I should probably get one in the C20 too
I look at this product and I can't imagine how it connects and how it quick releases. I don't understand the mechanism.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #38
special-K
Special Order

I mount to the trans hump in my 4wds or passenger kick panel in my 2wd trucks. The '72 4wd already had one mounted to the kick panel, so that's fine

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #39
68panelman

In my Blazer it's behind the driver's seat in the bedside corner, yea I don't have side panels. My 67 will have it on the kick panel, it appears to of had one at some point, the drill holes line up with my era correct extinguishers. I also have a moving blanket in back to aid in smothering a fire, but it's mostly used for picking up road treasures
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote