The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #26
ERASER5

Re: ANOTHER 6 lug disc brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
71-72 trucks were disc brake from the factory.
So ALL 71-72 parts can be used to do your disc brake install.
Including the spindles and m/c.

I'm going to get out of this thread and let someone else take over.
I'm obviously confusing you.
Read read read.
Also look at the tech articles at www.earlyclassic.com.
Tons of pics and info that will help you.
Good luck.
I'm with you. I've done this job with factory '78 parts. Every single part sourced and installed with after market 6 lug rotors. I have a handle on what goes on. But I still got a headache reading this.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
Kyle70SWB

Quote:
71-72 trucks were disc brake from the factory.
So ALL 71-72 parts can be used to do your disc brake install.
Including the spindles and m/c.

I'm going to get out of this thread and let someone else take over.
I'm obviously confusing you.
Read read read.
Also look at the tech articles at www.earlyclassic.com.
Tons of pics and info that will help you.
Good luck.
i actually think your reply here has been the one I am looking for lol

I am going to "pretend" I have a 71/72 and get everything from that truck and be good to go.

Did 71/72 have a brake booster? Or would it be ok to use a hydroboost with those parts since I want power steering and brakes
Old 12-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #28
Kyle70SWB

Thank you to everyone trying to help me understand this.. I don't know enough about these trucks yet, even though I have a lot of mechanical knowledge.

Everything I have read on this topic involved using bits and pieces from numerous years and models, and that is what I wanted to avoid.

If a 71/72 is a direct swap, why not just tell everyone who asks about the swap to go buy 71/72 parts, and its done?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #29
hugger6933

Kyle I'm gonna try to simplify. IF you order the spindles that lolife has sent you the link to,You can keep the parts on your truck now if they are in operable shape.[meaning if somebody had gone through the truck recently you keep what is there]. Take off the drum and spindle that is there and set it out of the shop. Put the conversion spindle on put on the 6 lug rotor[ also you have that link. Now if your following so far you still have 70 model upper and lower control arms and the ball joints for the 70, along with all the steering stuff your truck came with.
So using these parts you only need to buy Spindles, rotors,calipers, hoses and pads.
So when in the parts store you order calipers and pads for a 71-72 truck.
When ordering front end replacement parts[tie rods or the like IF NEEDED] order the 70 model ones[that is the year of your truck, right?]
I hope I helped if not I'm sorry and surely hope i have not added to the confusion
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #30
Kyle70SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Kyle I'm gonna try to simplify. IF you order the spindles that lolife has sent you the link to,You can keep the parts on your truck now if they are in operable shape.[meaning if somebody had gone through the truck recently you keep what is there]. Take off the drum and spindle that is there and set it out of the shop. Put the conversion spindle on put on the 6 lug rotor[ also you have that link. Now if your following so far you still have 70 model upper and lower control arms and the ball joints for the 70, along with all the steering stuff your truck came with.
So using these parts you only need to buy Spindles, rotors,calipers, hoses and pads.
So when in the parts store you order calipers and pads for a 71-72 truck.
When ordering front end replacement parts[tie rods or the like IF NEEDED] order the 70 model ones[that is the year of your truck, right?]
I hope I helped if not I'm sorry and surely hope i have not added to the confusion
You are one of my hero's now.. thank you
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
TR32

Kyle, I too am a low budget guy and did my build accordingly and stuck with the 6 lug pattern.

Junk yard items....

3/4 LCA's 67-87 I think.
Spindles/Rotors/Calipers from a 92 C2500 (Heavy Half)

New Stuff......

Shaft kit/bushings for LCA's
Upper/Lower Ball Joints for the 92 parts
Brake lines (the 92 stuff will connect to the existing main brake lines)
Brake pads

This isn't exactly everything, I modified my own tie rod ends from a rack I had laying around. I also purchased a disc/drum master cylinder but haven't put it on yet due to the fact that love how the brakes feel(not running power brakes). Everything bolts and works great. The key to this setup is finding good parts from the bone yard to start with. I was lucky to find a truck with pretty decent rotors. The stuff I bought new was from rock auto so they weren't too pricey. The other benefits are that this setup gives you around an inch drop in the front and slightly widens the track width. Another is that I can purchase any of the parts at the local parts store. One thing I didn't know about until I put it together is that the LCA shaft kit is already has the caster correction so your front wheel is more centered in the wheel well.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask....

Scott
Old 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #32
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR32 View Post
Kyle, I too am a low budget guy and did my build accordingly and stuck with the 6 lug pattern.

Junk yard items....

3/4 LCA's 67-87 I think.
Spindles/Rotors/Calipers from a 92 C2500 (Heavy Half)

New Stuff......

Shaft kit/bushings for LCA's
Upper/Lower Ball Joints for the 92 parts
Brake lines (the 92 stuff will connect to the existing main brake lines)
Brake pads

This isn't exactly everything, I modified my own tie rod ends from a rack I had laying around. I also purchased a disc/drum master cylinder but haven't put it on yet due to the fact that love how the brakes feel(not running power brakes). Everything bolts and works great. The key to this setup is finding good parts from the bone yard to start with. I was lucky to find a truck with pretty decent rotors. The stuff I bought new was from rock auto so they weren't too pricey. The other benefits are that this setup gives you around an inch drop in the front and slightly widens the track width. Another is that I can purchase any of the parts at the local parts store. One thing I didn't know about until I put it together is that the LCA shaft kit is already has the caster correction so your front wheel is more centered in the wheel well.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask....

Scott
Scott,... I've heard of alignment issues when trying to use the 88-98 light duty 2500 parts with the C10 a-arms.
It was documented in another thread on here.
The issue was TOO MUCH positive camber.

How did your alignment come out after you did this mod?
The other negative,... would be what you said,... a wider track width.
These trucks already suffer from having the front track width wider than the rear,... in stock form.
I would hate to make it wider yet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620262

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #33
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Other 88-98 threads:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=353393

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...&pp=40&page=11
QUOTE:
You must have missed the part where that conversion is no longer recommended due to alignment issues. The originators of that conversion don't recall any alignment issues, but everyone that has tried it in the past couple of years have.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 12-29-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #34
TR32

I haven't done an actual alignment yet but I'm pretty good with string and tape measure from my racing days....... Right now I have a little more negative camber than I'd like but there appears to be plenty of adjustment there. As far as the track width goes, I used a 70 rear end which is actually a bit wider than the 69. Overall I like it, I have 295/50/15's on the back and they look about perfect. On the front I have 225/60/15's, they are ok but I am going to go with a little wider tire in the future. The wheels fill the wheel wells nicely. I also use 8" wheels, 7" wheels could be used on the front if needed......
Old 12-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #35
TR32

Here's what it looks like....
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #36
TR32

I guess I should add that the 92 spindles are stock and not drop. The drop is from cutting 2 1/2 coils out of the springs. The only possible issue that I can came across on my setup is that at some point I need to clearance the front of the spring pocket since the LCA is moved forward. Its not causing any issues but the springs do rub the edge of the pocket.

Scott
Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #37
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR32 View Post
I guess I should add that the 92 spindles are stock and not drop. The drop is from cutting 2 1/2 coils out of the springs. The only possible issue that I can came across on my setup is that at some point I need to clearance the front of the spring pocket since the LCA is moved forward. Its not causing any issues but the springs do rub the edge of the pocket.

Scott
That's the reason YOU don't have the positive camber issue.
You have so much spring cut out, that the normal C10 suspension would have alot of NEGATIVE camber.
I'm glad it worked for you.
But I would never recommend the 88-98 light duty 2500 6-lug components on any 60-87 c10.
Just my opinion,...

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #38
Steve Cole

Kyle,

Lowlife and hugger nailed it, good info there. Buy the spindles in the drop of your choice (if you are going to lower it). When you buy them, tell them what year your truck is. They will sell you the ones that will allow you to use your factory tie rod ends, ball joints, control arms, etc. if you want to stay 6 lug, you best bet is to find aftermarket rotors because the 71-72 trucks were 5 lug. I believe the calipers and pads from the 71-72 will fit the spindles. Check out MP Brakes.com for tech advice, those guys really know brakes. BTW.. I will be listing some almost new 6 lug rotors on the parts board real soon.

Good luck!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #39
TR32

Quote:
That's the reason YOU don't have the positive camber issue.
You have so much spring cut out, that the normal C10 suspension would have alot of NEGATIVE camber.
I'm glad it worked for you.
But I would never recommend the 88-98 light duty 2500 6-lug components on any 60-87 c10.
Just my opinion,...
I was concerned about it until I put it on the ground. I was actually going to look for wedged spacers for the upper ball joint if the camber became a problem. Never heard of anyone doing it that way but I think it would been worth a try.
Thank you for your opinion.... I have read a lot of your posts and value your experience and info......

Scott